Black Education / Schools : Afrikan-centered education. Protestant/Catholic-centered education.

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by RAPTOR, Nov 23, 2011.

1. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Straight forward question:

Why do black folks (those particularly pertaining to this query), have and or express a disapproval of an afrikan centered education yet seem to be accepting of Protestant/Catholic-centered education?

...Your thoughts.

2. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    They're probably Christian and think that any and everything African is of lesser value and quality.

To clarify, I am not saying that all or even most Black Christians look down on Africa. But as Christians, they would probably feel more comfortable with their children in a Christian school than a school that propagates a culture that they may feel they have no connection to.

3. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Let me clarify.

When I say "afrikan". I am not solely talking about the continent, but also the diaspora (amerikkka included). The afrikan; home or abroad. Education, that puts us as an afrikan people at the center.

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

Fear is a very strong emotion and it is so deeply engrained in some of our psyche's to never dig outside of the white mans sphere of comprehension...

'whiteness' weakens everything it touches, but in the field of edu-cation that is exactly what it's purpose is. It is to take out of us what was naturally placed in us at birth. This is why it's a law that your kids must go to school. Why? Yes, you can home school them but even then you have to follow a certain criterior set up and put in place by the same one's that your child would be learning from if you sent them to school.

So this edu-cational system has purposely been put in place to achieve a certain goal and that is to keep black people (non-whites) in an inferior position in this society. This edu-cational system breeds slaves and just like most slaves on the masters plantation, they like what he likes and dissaproves of whatever he dissaproves of. If the slave feels like the massa doesn't approve of black people gaining an afrocentric education, then they will voice their dissaproval to the blacks that want an afrocentric education louder than their master to make sure that their master hears them and knows that that slave will never disobey his masters wishes and do anything he can to keep massa's system in place.

Then, that same slave can be found later on doing his chores around his masters house while humming the tune to "OH, WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS".......

5. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    This is much inline with how I image the aim of afrikan centered schooling:

Imhotep Institute Charter High School (in philly) Philosophy/mission statement:

High student academic achievement is the primary goal of Imhotep Institute. Our underlying philosophy is that a rigorous, integrative, constructivist curriculum, combined with the historical and cultural richness of our African heritage will result in well-rounded and productive citizens. We believe that an African centered educational program with an emphasis in mathematics, the sciences, and technology will provide the environment needed for many of our urban learners. Imhotep Institute is a culturally responsive school with connections to many community organizations and resources.

Imhotep's community and student-centered learning environment is grounded in the African principles of Ma'at and Nguzo Saba and purposes to:

-Provide a safe, calm and disciplined environment in which students can discover and develop their talents.
    -Recognize that education is a process that allows the student to integrate knowledge with life experience
    -Instill an appreciation that the search for knowledge is a life-long journey.
    -Empower the student to recognize his/her needs and utilize resources effectively to solve problems
    -Foster a spirit of unity
    -Provide opportunities through various activities that allow our students to become responsibility reliant, resourceful members of the world community
    -Create and foster the spirit of unity, self-determination, collective work, responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity and faith (Nguzo Saba)

http://www.imhotepcharter.com/

6. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    My mother wanted me to go to catholic school (roger bacon), because she believe that I would get a quality education there. There was this other catholic school I wanted to go to (st. xavier), because they had a good football program and seemed to always attract major college scouts and recruiters.

7. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Imhotep Institute looks interesting.

Still, though I agree with info-moetry, I also acknowledge something else: Black success is incredibly obscure to African people. There aren't really 'success' stories outside of Blackness, but Africans, stereotypically unsuccessful, doesn't make this consideration pliable. IF Africans had success stories from African-centered schools, the masses would be more interested. Right now, it's doubtful that many of us could name a well-known and impressive African individual who went through an African-centered education and regularly flaunts it. It's kind of a catch-22.

Though--the exception hit me--and proves my point--Marva Collins originally couldn't fill her student quota, then she started getting high praises from White magazines and bumba cloth. ;-)

There also was a very great school up in Harlem--but White folk made sure to close that. Still, I am unsure if either of the above schools were 'African-centered.'

Booker T. Washington also gained high prestige for school administration. Oh--and Howard and other HBC's. [Not "African-centered"--but given the time, the closest thing to it.]

8. rapunzal24

rapunzal24 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    As a Christian, I can only give you my point of view. When most people think of Afrikan centered education, they think of another religion that may introduce paganism to their children. Just being honest. Then I thought about it....the same schools that you speak of (protestant/catholic) also introduce our children to paganism. Please don't take this as a jab at you or what you believe, I can tell that you and I believe differently. The thing is that one is more familiar than the other, especially for people who keep holidays that are traditional. They may not have everything right, but you can steer your children in the right direction. I am a Hebrew Israelite, and I really can not see myself sending children to traditional religous schools, but I know a lot of people that have. You don't have as much of the foolishness going on there, that you may have at other schools...which is why you pay. I'm not saying that regular teenage stuff does not go on, but my first day of high school, people were shooting. My friend at Immaculate Heart of Mary said her first day went as smooth as butter and she met some cool dudes. I think that may be one of the big differences. Also, the books I got my freshman year, I was using in the 8th grade, the books she got were on a freshman level.....we compared because we went to the same jr. high. I think it has a lot to do with the environment and the education you receive, and the unknown of what your child may get at an Afrikan centered school. Also, I don't know of many schools that you speak of, but I can say that I have never looked for them either. Maybe we need more schools like that, you never know what may come of it.

9. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    What make you think they do not?
    Is it really a secret as to why they don't get much press?
    For the same reasons unsanitized/whitewashed versions of
    euro-history isn't taught.

In any event, I suggest you research the imhotep institute in philly. I listen to..., for a lack of a better term, a 'dept. head', talk about the many accomplishments achieved by their students. If I recall, the lady 'dept head' spoke of there being a student in medical school that graduated from the institute. If you check out the marcus garvey institute out in calif. Nation House in d.c., they have good stories. Not unlike what we would find/read about regarding religious centered schools.

I don't know many of us who could name "a well-known and impressive" individual who went to a protestant/catholic-centered education and regularly flaunts it. I can't. Then again, the "flaunting" part, regardless of the school is really not important, nor necessary.

10. RAPTOR

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    Are you aware that there are jewish/hebrew-centered schools?