Black People : Afrikan American Steps to Economic Freedom

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Monetary, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    The following is an excerpt from a book entitled "Blueprint for Black Power" by Dr. Amos N. Wilson (1998). In this book, Dr. Wilson describes the process he thinks that African Americans should take in order to gain political, social and economic freedom.

These steps seem to be all-inclusive in regards to social, political and economic behavior and actions of a people who seek social, political and economic freedom.

What are your thoughts on this process? Do you think this process can work for Afrikan Americans given your view on how this country and international affairs are conducted around the world?

2. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Perhaps this should be brought to the attention of every Black-owned Bank in not only the country, but throughout the world.

KD

3. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Dr. Wilson has laid out a thorough plan for achieving social, political and economic freedom. But, what's first and foremost, is how we view ourselves. Once we get back to trusting ourselves and building working relationships, then we can move forward. As long as we have "integration" as a collective goal by the most affluent of the Afrikan community, the road will be longer and more difficult. Nevertheless, we can still achieve this goal.

The Brothers Only group thought of starting an investment club/group here on Destee.com. If that investement club/group gets started, we should keep in mind the ideas and concepts listed here. I think these ideas/concepts can be applied in our investment strategy, especially investing in Afrikan companies who invest in Afrika and other countries around the Diaspora. From an investor's point of view, that means we would invest heavily into developing or emerging industries in Afrika.

First, Sistas and Brothas need to develop and nurture an Afrikan-centered mindset. After this, everything we do will be focused on us as Afrikans, as a nation, and not on us as individuals just coming together to make some money.

Peace.

4. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18

Monetary, this is an EXCELLENT blueprint. A very basic step involved in human beings building working relationships is being able to have free-flowing COMMUNICATION, where all opinions are respected, even if not accepted or embraced by all.

I've always maintained on here that one of Africa's most pressing problems is that those who consider themselves at the top of the hierarchy do not tolerate any dissenting opinions. This is a central element behind all of the warfare there today and is a major reason why there is the current African brain drain wherein many of the brainiest continental Africans flee their countries. I'm not referring here to what, who, why, when or how it all started. I'm talking about NOW. I'm also not talking about the role of manipulative whites or the Chinese.

So, I see COMMUNICATION as the major challenge for Black people whereever we are. This is the most basic hurdle for us.

5. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Riada, my dear Sista,

It's becoming more and more clear to me that you really do not understand Racism/White Supremacy and just how deeply entrenched in every "people activity" that exists. I know that we want to say that this is what our people can do to get out of this mess. But, in order to deal with what our people can do, we must first understand that our people behave the way they do because of Racism/White Supremacy. That's why it seems to so many people that Racism/White Supremacy is the cause of every negative experience our people go through. It's because Racism/White Supremacy did cause a lot of it. I'm not saying that we're all saints. But, I am saying that we weren't as bad off as we are now. We developed nations that didn't discard anyone. We didn't throw anyone away...everyone had a place in our society. There was no homelessness. We didn't have prisons or convalescent homes. Everyone was accounted for. We traded with nations around the world. Nations sent their children to us for their personal growth via education. My point is that we didn't drop this far down by ourselves. We had a lot of help through Racism/White Supremacy.

I do agree with you that communication is key. But, it's how we communicate with one another. We must learn to listen clearly. We must understand what the other person is saying by focusing on what they have to say and not by preparing an answer for a quick response. We can do this by letting the other person know that we've heard what they've said and acknowledge whether we agree or not...and let them know why if we do not agree. I think that helps a lot in communication. But, this being stern, unmoved in one's opinion will not help things in communicating with one another.

Our focus should be on getting along, reaching Afrikan-centered goals, and believing in one another. Working to find the solution to a problem or to find an answer to a question should be our goal, not debating and arguing. Debates and arguments have never solved a thing. We should always stay focused on our Afrikan-centered goals. I believe we can do it.

Peace, Sista.

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    I hear you Money, Kwebena and Riada. I guess we all see that our collective problem at the moment is not so much what we need to do but how we need to think.

It's easy for poor Blacks to look at those who seem to have "made it" in the system and complain that they are oreos, sell-outs, burgesie Blacks who have forgotten where they came from and need to give back to the communicity that helped them get where they are today, etc, etc.

But I think first of all we need a major paradigm shift of what it means to help Black people. When we think of helping Black people the first things that come to mind are the NAACP, CITA, Public Housing, free lunches or some other non-profit organization. In other words there's no profit in helpiing Black people.

This has to change. We look with suspicion on those who are trying to make a profit as if anything but pure altruism is dirty, If we learn to be comfortable with making a profit then we won't always be the victims of other people's prfit making. I mean, think about it. When you go to McDee's those poeple are not feeding you out of the goodness of their heart. They will sell you dog crap if you would buy it. Yet we continue to eat there knowing that they are profiting off our heart disease. So why do we have a problem with creating mutual profits among our people? Those are the parameters: mutual profit or predatory profit with us as the prey.

7. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    It seems that a central theme as to one of issues that may hinder us in implimenting the outline as described by Dr. Wilson is how we think, our collective mindset. Before we get on the path to social, political and economic freedom, how do we change the current mindset of our people into an Afrikan-centered mindset?

1. Do we speak in terms of our Afrikanness when we communicate with one another?

2. Do you wear Afrikan clothing more frequently when attending functions with a majority of our people in attendance?

What can we do on a daily basis to help nurture and transform our current mindset into an Afrikan-centered mindset?

8. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    We must educate ourselves and each other about the truth concerning Afrikan spirituality. As long as our people continue to associate Afrikan religions with demons and idols they will stay away from the culture. Christians are afraid to be in the same room with figurines or other Afrikan artifacts thinking they are possessed by demons or cursed by a witch doctor.

The task will not be easy. Many of us here know how hard it is to understand Afrikan spirituality after having been indoctrinated to understand God as the white man sees him/her.

Mere tourism won't do. One cannot embrace Afrikan culture without a basic appreciation for Afrikan spirituality which includes dispelling the myths and fears Christianity has programmed into our psyches.

9. kemetkind

kemetkind Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +61
    I agree with the above 100% sister River and from a practical perspective this is most likely accomplished via education of black youth.

Only the most open-minded and independent of thinkers can shake off 20 to 30+ years of indoctrination enough to be willing participants implementing Dr. Wilson's strategy.

So I would agree economic freedom begins with spiritual freedom, but to build the bridge from here to there some practical plan for educating our children seems like priority #1.

10. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    As a Youngster and Educator [in the making], I have to say that letting the youth know who you are upon establishing relationships with them in first and foremost. They would Love to cooperate with you; just don't portray an image of, or remind them of the typical everyday adult they encounter in their environments.

KD