Black People : AFRICVILLE: Last stop on the underground railroad.. smashing the myth of the benevolent Canadian.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by skuderjaymes, Dec 14, 2011.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
  2. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I think the speaker in the thread opening video is speaking against, what I think he may regard, as a revision of history. This film here seems to caste Africville as some sort of black utopia.. even though I can see it's building up to a statement about the injustice of the destruction and relocation of Africville.. I think the first video is trying to point out how miserable a place Africville was..

3. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    The two videos nearly seem like different time periods. One pre-dump, the other post-dump.

Either way, this goes to show that an African community should center around an industry. To base oneself around scavenging such that the waste of Europeans becomes like a pile of treasures is to debase oneself.

It's odd when one thinks of it--but typically Africans are made to 'scavenge' in European societies.

4. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Yes, we have often been "scavengers." ----- Even the foods we ate were the "scavenged" parts the white folks didn't want: pig feet/chitterlings/pig ears/cow's tongue/etc...

We used what we had access to in order to survive.

But, we also often gone from "scavengers" to entrepreneurs.

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Dogs roam free, make mess in historic Africville Park
    Africville Geneology Society president says having Africville double as an off-leash dog park is disrespectful

CBC News Posted: Jul 27, 2013

.....Before the 30th anniversary celebrations could get underway, volunteers were forced to clean up the mess left by dogs and their careless owners.

"Africville Park is still an off-leash dog park and that is one thorn in the sides of residents of Africville. They cannot for the life of them understand why our historic site — which it is a National Historic Site — there are dogs allowed to run free because every year they come here … and complain about dog feces around the park," Irvine Carvery, president of the Africville Geneology Society, told CBC News.
    According to the Halifax Regional Municipality’s website, owners are required to immediately pick up after their dogs.

Carvery said that he and the people of Africville want HRM to remove the off-leash policy from their National Historic Site.

"They’re not happy about it. They feel disrespected by it and like I said every year I receive the brunt of it and every year I reassure them that we’re working with HRM, our partners in this, and we’re going to get this matter resolved. I have every confidence in our councillor Jennifer Watts, that Jennifer’s going to lead the charge in terms of deregistering this park and get the dogs out of here," he said.

.... http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dogs-roam-free-make-mess-in-historic-africville-park-1.1376290

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560