Black People : Africans and Slavery

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Sekhemu, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Captives were transported both to the eastern regions of Africa and to Asia by Encroaching Arabs c. ADth century, and then also to the western regions of Europe and the New World territories bye Euro-Christians c. AD 15th century. The captured slave was then forced to breed with the persons outside of their respective nations or ethnic group, and culture. All of the factors that encouraged and maintained link and lineage with tribal bloodlines and heritage were disrupted on vas and catastrophice scales. And, each succeeding generation as a matter of negative course, suffered greater and greater distance from the source of origin.

As a result of increased time and distance, traumas of seperation, intermixture of bloodlines, and DIVISIVE METHODS EMPLOYED BY THE ENSLAVERS, there came into being the "lost soul syndrom." The forgetting and camouflaging of African descent.

While it is true slavery did exist in African before the Maafa, slavery in Africa was much different than slavery in the New World or in Arab countries for that matter. In the new world slaves were dehumanized and viewed as property, while in Africa, humans were humans. It was customary for "slaves" to marry into the family of their masters.

Of all Africans taken to the Americas under slavery it is estimated that over 90% came from a corridor approximately 700 miles wide on the coast of West Africa stretching from modern day Senegal and Mali in the north to D.M.R and Angola in the south.

It was during the medieval period that the dynamic West African civilization reached a zenith and also a plummeting demise. From the annals of time ther echoes the names of such empires as Ghana, Mali and Songhay. They and others gave their blood and bloodlines to the slave trade beginning in the 8th Century under the Arabs and in the 15th century under the Europeans.

Under the AD 1200's to the AD 1800's specifically, major West African "tribal" nations expanded their territories and trade not only throughout Africa, but also throughout the world. Although not all of the factors which led to riseof the Oyo (Yoruba) and Benin empires, as examples, revolved around the slave trade, a percentage of the richness obtained did come about as a result of countrymen and women being sold into slavery. Yet, nothing was as it seemed. Many underlying dynamics were in effect, such as the religious wars between Ifa traditional structures and rising Muslim factions. To add, the tradewars among tribal nations were intensified by greedy Arab and European manipulators. Tribes capturing the most slaves received the most european goods, like guns and other modern weapons. Many African nations found themselves pouring less time and resources in develping agriculture and infrastruce and more time and efforts defending themselves from encroaching enslavers. Dare I say this tragic historical narrative illustrates the sad state of affairs which in turn shed light on the under-devlopement of modern day Africa

The fighting wars among West Africans basically sprang from religious and territorial. Foremost among them was the battle between the Yoruba of Nigeria and the Dahomey of present day Benin. It is estimated that this war, lasting between 1698 and 1892, literally fed the European slave trade. Also there was the successive wars with Muslims from Hausaland coming from northern Nigeria. The war between the Muslim Hausa and the State of Oyo eventually led to the collapse of the Yoruba capital Ile. Ofcourse there were thousand of other examples. The presented however, lend insight into the major themes that carry into the whole of the enslavement era: (A) That the majority of persons enslaved, especially in the early phases, were men who as captives of war, were now set to become laborers on the harsh plantations of the new world: (B) that the captives were steeped in the religion and culture of their nations: (C) There were als those whe were well versed in the religion of Islam. In the very real sense, the enslaved Africans were much more cultured and educated than were their European and Arab oppressors

It is important to state that resistance to enslavement during the entire period of its existence in Africa and the New World was an ACTUAL REALITY, a very well known, though quietly known fact. The examples posed are few in number compared to the overt fights for freedom waged by the Africans against the invading Arabs on the one hand and the Europeans on the other. For example, there was Queen Nzingha of Angola. Nzingha was the sister of King Ndongo, her people were known as the Jagas. The Jagas were an extremely strong and determined people who, by the time she became queen, were often the first if not the only group to form a human barrier against the invading portuguese during the late 16th to the early 17th centuries. On December 17 1663 Queen Nzingha joined the ancestors, but not before holding back the encroaching invaders of her people.

In the resistance to the slave trade and the colonial system that followed the death of the queen, African women, along with their men, helped to mount offenses all over Africa. Among the most outstanding were Madame Tinubu of Nigeria, Nandi the mother of the great zulu warrior Chaka, Kaipkire, of the Herero people of South West Africa, and the famale army that followed the great Dahomean king, Behanzin Bowelle. These models and others lent their strengths to the understanding that African nations did fight the Arabs and Europeans. The notion that ALL chiefs and kings dim wittily sold the African populace into slavery is but another manipulative tactic to over shadow the power and fortitude of the African people

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Brother Sekhemu ... Welcome Home ... and Thanks For Sharing! :love:

:heart:

Destee

3. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Thank you Sis. :bowdown:

I appreciate it.

4. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    been sitting here feeling this for most of an hour.

this puts into words something that i have found but had never been able to articulate or even consciously defined.

this explains the discrepancy between the African i have been led to understand/know of, and the African i found when i went looking for MyIdentity/SELF.

did somebody say "400 years"?

i've often wondered of the Ourstory of the current state of Our Northern Homelands.

feeling like it's Time that this mess be OVER.

:bowdown: Thanks for the Serious Reflection/Remeberance and Understanding of SELF. :bowdown:

(thirteen hundred years?!!! oh that is so very much enough of this crap!!)

did somebody ask "what is real?"

What time is it, myAfrica?

5. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    PEACE GOD...

6. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    this would suggest that our "downfall" happened/began before europeans got to us.

it also looks as if those that were the "best" candidates for american slavery had already been thoroughly indoctrinated into a religion not our own; islam. 1300 years later, "we" keep talking about noi being on our side? and following in behind their "ministers"?

but then we have the followers of this "cult of christianity" suggesting that all of our problems will be solved by waiting for jesus.

many will "acknowledge" the "conditioning" that has been dumped on us by our immersion in this western culture. however, there seems to be a reluctance to also "acknowledge" that all of us here are also "beneficiaries" of this conditioning, thus are speaking/thinking/acting outside of our natural natures. which some would suggest seem to be as "base" as the natures of europeans that would enslave people since "we" "sold our people into slavery".

it is often said that, even more important than seeking to work together to rebuild the African family would be to stomp out that supreme lunacy (i'll neither use the word "supremacy" in that context, nor give it any sort of legitimacy by expressing it as a proper noun by capitalizing it), but exercise the "divide and conquer" nature of the lunacy by coming with the muslim view that our Women are to blame and/or less than the males and should just follow our lead ... that still goes nowhere.

... hmmmm ....

to my mind, this gives rise to a quote i tossed out some time back: "Q: what is the source of the power that i exercise over you? A: you give it to me every time you open your mouth."

it also brings to mind other words that suggest "less than stellar intelligence", but i'll not speak those words ... :censored: ("say something positive"? "offer an alternative"? sure: "what is real?" pay particular attention to the second half. but i expect it to be passed over just as it was then and most every other time.) <shrug>

on the other hand, i suppose one could say that it might be "unfair" to think that the effects of 1300 years of oppression could be overcome very easily ... but, surely, one would assume that an effort would be made at some point in space and time?

"go wiggle!"

7. Sekhemu

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064

What an excellent analysis brotha man!

I'm not done yet lol