ngumbi

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 2, 2003
Sandton, Johannesburg, South Africa
Occupation
Human Performance Consultant
Hi all,

Love the site, and been meaning to hear your thoughts on this
one. As an African, born and bred in Africa, I find it very interesting when individuals, who sometimes don't even know where Afrika is on the globe go on about what it is to be African.

Motion:

What to you personally refer to when using the word African?

The reason I ask this question is when most our brothers and sistas land in Africa for the first time, their expectations and preconcieved ideas of what Africa is like are usually far from the reality.

Ntombi

Ngumbi ... Welcome and Thanks for joining us. I was not born and bred in Africa but when i think of her, when i use the word African, my Spirit connects with all those who have gone before me. All my Ancestors are wrapped up in the word Africa / African. I feel a spiritual kinship with her and all those who are African. I have never been to Africa but i can't imagine being disappointed in any way, shape, form or fashion, regardless of how things might be when i get there. To simply stand, breathe, and touch Africa would alone be a pleasure beyond measure.

I hope i've answered your question.

I have a question for you, if you don't mind. You specified that you are an African, born and bred in Africa. Do you consider those of us who are not born and bred in Africa, somehow less African (if African at all)?

I'm glad that you love the site and hope you will make yourself at home here, because you are.

:heart:

Destee

Originally posted by Ngumbi:
What to you personally refer to when using the word African?
I too welcome you to one of the premier Black websites on the Internet.

^5 Sister Destee...

In addition to Sister Destee's brilliant narration, Brother Ngumbi, I personally refer to the word "African" whenever I am asked to describe myself. My response is always: I am a Black man born in America of African descent...

Thank u all for a warm welcome.
In response to Destee's question, there is no easy answer to this question, however I think 'African' is not just a label, it's a way of life, tradition, language, history, heritage etc. and I must say it must be a challange when u are so 'removed' from it, I consider those who are not born and bred in Africa 'of African descent'.

I find that the tone of describing Africa is inappropriately romanticised. Africa is war torn, poverty stricken and an empty shell whose rescourses were systematically raped by the coloniser. As much as it home to some of us, it is irrational to look at it through rose tinted glasses as it is no longer the paradise you seem to describe.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back