Black History Culture : AFRICAN WRITTING SYSTEMS!

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
  2. MrBlak

MrBlak Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9
    WOW...that was nice to see. All anyone ever speaks about is Hierogliphics from Northern Africa. Some of the writtings from the south remind me of aboriginal drawings from Australia. This kinda stuff needs to be taught to kids and adults alike!!

3. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is good information, thank you brother Isaiah!

4. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,869
    This is a treasure of a thread! What fool ever said that Africans never had a writing system?!? They thought we only drew pictures?!? *smh* Some people will say anything, try to pass it off as fact, and want recognition for being called a scholar!

Queenie :spinstar:

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Queenie, I think we can find some of the most incredible stuff on the web, man(smile!) Most of this stuff I find when I am at work, and have a moment to surf... I just type in stuff, and VOILA! Unbelieveable!!! I must admit that this is a page I will have to read up on... Like Mr. Blak, African Writting Systems always went back to the Hieroglyphs, Metu Neter... I dug that in Meroe, there was a system of writting that like was lost and forgotten, but to see the evidence of other systems all over the place, tells me that our history is like so far from being truly uncovered that it astounds the mind...

Deep down, I know that we invented many kinds of alphabetical and numerical systems, but Africans seem to like committing things to memory... Which is great, because once you've committed something to memory, it stands to reason that you've absorbed your teachings well...but it pays to write things down for posterity... Thank God, some of that posterity has survived!

Peace!
    Isaiah