Africa : African Writing Systems

decipherx1

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 10, 2009
Before The Europeans Came in to Africa we had many writing systems,
So use this info when you are questioned on the issue of;
"we didn't have any writings systems beside the Mdu Ntr's writing system , which I have debated many times w/ people,
using this site-hotep.

http://www.library.cornell.edu/africana/Writing_Systems/Welcome.html

HOW AFRICANS PASSED WRITING TO GREECE
By Andre Austin

If its February then its black history month. This article is dedicated to the diligent students in public/private schools. Reading and writing are crucial hurdles for the development of writing. Before Homer wrote the Odyssey and the Iliad the Greeks had no writing. The gift of writing was passed from the Africans of Egypt to the Greeks; and I have the evidence of letters to prove it.

Plato and Socrates engaged in conversation in Phaedrus that: “He (Thoth) it was who invented numbers, arithmetic, geometry…and most important of all, letters”. Plato wasn’t like by his peers because he was seen as introducing Egyptian concepts. The Greek historian writing in 5th century BC says that The Phoenicians along with Kadmus came to Greece and taught religion, writing and other vital information. Herodotus 2:58 states: At first they (Greeks) used the same characters as all the other, but as time went on they changed their language, they also changed the shape of their letters” . They also changed the Egyptian Neith to Athens, Horus to Apollo and Amen to Zeus. The most controversy comes from the claims of the Egyptians that Hercules was originally Egyptian.

In ancient Egypt there is a city called Thebes which was twice founded the second time in Thebes, Greece by Kadmus. The character of Memmon who uses black troops from Ethipoia in the legendary Trojan war of the Iliad in Book 4 was black himself. So Greeks encounter with a massive amount of blacks came from the battlefield not the slave market. Some Afrocentrist writers go so far as to say Memmon name derives from an Egyptian Pharaoh of Ethiopian origin called Ammenemes 11 whose father Senwosret is the same as the biblical Nimrod.

Being limited to 300 words I can only touch on this subjects lightly. I would hope those students inspired by Black history will dig deeper into the past not just for 1 month but 365 days of the year. Writing is the best way to preserve the past.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back