Black Women : AFRICAN WOMEN AND BLACK CULTURE: THERE'S A RUMOR GOING ROUND.

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Isaiah, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Yes, my beautiful bearers of Black Culture, there is a rumor going around that you ladies are far more interested in discussing Freaky Sex, and Carnal Encounters of the menage-a-tois kind, rather than engaging in really deep intellectual discussions...

Although, it may be conceived as only anecdotal evidence, it is suggested that several threads here prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you guys minds are really only on one thing, and that is SEX, SEX, more SEX...

Now, a question or two(how do the defendants plead?)...

Is this rumor valid and true, considering the evidence arrayed against you is pretty strong??? Secondly, if it is true, and you plead guilty as charged, why is it that you all find it so difficult to engage in discussions about Culture, Art, Literature, and our famous ancestors??? For example, how many of you KNEW this was WOMEN"S HISTORY MONTH, and posted ANYTHING to the Honoring the Ancestors thread??? How many of you have ever dared venture an inquiry into the Culture Forum, or discussed Pan African History and Theory with Brother Pan Africa??? How many of you will even venture to respond to this thread???

The reason I am posing these questions to you as African Women is, because women are the true bearers, bringers, and pollinators of any culture, and African women are no different. If African women aren't interested in their own culture, then it is a fair bet that their babies wont be either. If that is true, then the children will be susceptible to becoming more and more inculcated, acculturated, and conditioned by other, foreign cultures... That cultural diffidence demonstrated by African women at Destees may explain why so many of our children don't know, understand, nor care about the culture of their ancestors, why they believe good music can be had by turning a few knobs, and punching some buttons on a piece of technology... What say, YOU, African women - are you all guilty as charged??????

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,860
  3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    i regularly attend cultural and spiritual events around philly.

there are few women and NO young women who attend these events.
    bottom line: the sisters are just not interested in intellectual discussion.
    it is not real to them.

the young sister is solely interested in flirting and sexing and so forth.
    that IS her entire sphere of interest. primping, dressing and all things to do with getting that sperm donor.
    that is all i see from the young sister.

those women who show some interest in culture tend to be older.

4. triniti424

triniti424 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Singapore
    Servant of the People
    Ratings:
    +131
    lol rumors rumors rumors :read:

though it always feel weird saying it.... Brotha James is right. I have attended many cultural/spiritual/political/activist/BLAKcommunity events and still do (one more Wednesday night lol) and at almost every location when socializing with the brethren there I often find myself among few younger sistahs and the older sistahs there are usually well into there mid-60's.

However with regards to our forum home :blush: I am guilty of being one of the sisters that has read the many threads in the HONORING THE ANCESTORS FORUM but rarely posted let alone start my own thread :blush:

5. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    mayb on the boards, but......

o k, no 1 said "no brothers" n this 1, so i guess i can post.

u kno, there may b something regional going on here. i can't speak 2 the posting portion b/c i'm generally mia 4 the most part. there was, however, this ?, "why is it that you all find it so difficult to engage in discussions about Culture, Art, Literature, and our famous ancestors???", w reference, i believe, 2 the sisters.

since i've been n the south, i can bear wittness to the active participation, n som cases with them taking the leadership role, of black women of all ages & relatively diverse social strata, with regard to black cultural events. since i'm sure there's a diverse definition of precisely what does & does not constitute some "deep intellectual discussions", i'll jus provide some xamples.

1. poetry readings - although there r still mor males reading (& plenty still useing this 2 try & get their mack on), the sisters r not only well represented, they frequently raise the bar w their flows.

2. black history month - n the south, the majority of these take place in association w a college, university, or church. sisters generally comprise the majority of the general population at these institutions (i'm speaking of the HBCU's & black churches), & they r generally the majority of the audience as well. now, they r somwhat under-represented at times on the stage/pulpit thou.

3. MLK observances - there is usu at least a week long celebration of King's legacy down here (i believe King is more popular n the south, but that's just my personal opinion) & the sisters r intricately involved n the planning, execution, and performance aspects of these events.

4. Kwanza - this city does hv a citywide kwanza committee, and, for several years now, we hv actually been comprised of more black females than males. 1 of the changes that has occurred from this that i've noticed is the increased participation of more children (of both genders) than ever b4.

5. Malcolm X grass roots movement - again, there r actually more females - some of them college aged - involved in this organization, at least here, than males. in fact, we hv had several meetings revolve around strategies for recruitment of new members of both genders, but w a slight emphasis on black males.

but, like i said earlier, these r jus my observations 4 this area. down here, the sisters r more than holding their own n the intellectual discussion arena.

:smooch: 2 sis Trinity - don't get the idea i'm following u around. i am, but i don't want u 2 get that idea.

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    This is another reason why i decided to throw political correctness out of the window...

now i might get assaulted for saying this but i generally KNOW where to go to find a multitude of Black women on any given sunday, and the women who tend to be younger than me or in the same age group that attend cultural events are......(i dont think i need to say)....just go to a typical jazz concert and its obvious...lol....or a reggae concert.....*smh*..

the exception.....oh.....some BSU functions at the college/university level where sisters outnumber brothers at least 6 to 1....but more of those events now tend to be more social than cultural or political....

i got a quote to cite from dr. nkrumah but i dont wanna get banished....has to deal with measuring the polical consciousness of a nation by the political maturity of it's WOMEN.....yeah folks.....we are very IMMATURE....

7. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

pardon the intrusion...lol

key words...college,,,,university....or church......yep.....definitely true in the South...

8. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Isaiah:"Yes, my beautiful bearers of Black Culture, there is a rumor going around that you ladies are far more interested in discussing Freaky Sex, and Carnal Encounters of the menage-a-tois kind, rather than engaging in really deep intellectual discussions... "

What rumors? In order for it to be a rumor, it has to be passed around. If we are about building, shouldn't these rumor starters be reprimanded?

Alkebulan: "1. poetry readings - although there r still mor males reading (& plenty still useing this 2 try & get their mack on), the sisters r not only well represented, they frequently raise the bar w their flows."

Poetry is just that. Whoever takes a poem that serious has issues. If a player is waiting to get some from SpicyB behind a poem, he will be waiting for a long time. When men & women get together, there will always be a natural attraction.

9. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    kinda sorta depends

"Poetry is just that. Whoever takes a poem that serious has issues."

not entirely sure what u meant, but, I for 1 hv taken some poetry quite seriously - most of the ones i've written, and the xceptional ones i've listened to or read. i hv become interested in knowing a couple of ppl better based on what they wrote. it wasn't a mac thang, i jus wanted 2 kno that particular author better. it was generally the case i wanted 2 get "inside" their head mor than anything else. but, that's jus me.

i think i tend 2 gravitate toward som of the ppl who take their writing seriously at least som of the time. but i listed it here primarily as an xample of sisters hving no aversion to cultural/intellectual participation. :spinn:

10. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Alkebulan:

Ndrstd, most of the flow-backs/comebacks are to keep the vibe moving, not really serious. Everything I do is off the top of my head, but it is real. Most of the poems here are romance-based, or sexual......ly......stimulatin. LOL Didn't know how to put that one :rolleyes: I'll be looking out for your poetry:)