Pan Africanism : African Union Offers to Help Aristide

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Kannte, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Kannte

Kannte Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    The African Union’s chairman has called the Caribbean island of Haiti ''an African country outside Africa'' and said the Union is ready and willing to help restore democracy there, after the president was deposed last year.

Chairman Alpha Oumar Konare said that ''The AU wants to help create conditions in which a new government can be democratically elected in Haiti.''

He added, ''We want to create a framework for non-violent national dialogue and a situation where none of the political forces are excluded.''

Konare, who visited Haiti in December, made the announcements after meeting in South Africa with that country’s President Thabo Mbeki and ousted Haitian President Jean Bertrand Aristide, who has now settled there. <snip>

http://www.amsterdamnews.com/News/article/article.asp?N...

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    This is the best news I've heard thus far in 2005! Haiti is indeed an African nation outside of Africa. I hope more Caribbean countries can gain this recognition & connection to the mother continent. Furthermore I hope the AU is successful in its efforts to restore order in Haiti. This would be a major step towards Blacks solving our own issues.