Black Spirituality Religion : African traditional discussion

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Blackbird, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Although I hate to start a thread to reference another thread, I think this might be appropriate since more traffic comes this way.

For all of those who wish to discussion African spiritual traditions from a conceptual basis, and not just magical, and how these things can have an impact on our growth and development, I invite you all to my newly started thread titled "Lion King - A Rebirth". I wish for that thread to begin a lively and serious, as well as, learning and beneficial discussion on African philosophical thought, concepts and practical application. I have no answers and am learning among with the rest so don't feel intimidated. Come join me if you please. Thank you.....

Blackbird

2. free2b_me

free2b_me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10
    This is something that I would really like to learn about.

3. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Thank you for your interest. I think our ancestors provided some with some really heavy concepts and thoughts to guide our motions forward. I appreciate your input on the Lion King - A Rebirth thread. I hope we all can learn and grow for the benefit of ourselves and our community.

Blackbird - Let's get cultural y'all

4. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Saw that thread but wasn't thinking it had to do with African spiritual traditions from a conceptual basis. Any way, will check that thread out. Thanks Blackbird

Astrologer4U

5. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Don't just check it out. Join in and share. Participate. I want as many to contribute as possible.

Blackbird

6. SeekingMaat

SeekingMaat Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Ratings:
    +275
    The Hero with an Afrikan Face

Wasn't sure where to post this but this book is an excellent introduction to the traditions and mythic wisdom of Afrikans. :band:

[​IMG]

The Hero with an African Face - Mythic wisdom of traditional Africa by Clyde W. Ford.

From Publishers Weekly
    Extending the sensibility of Joseph Campbell, Ford exposes readers to African myths and folk tales, finding that they harbor both culturally specific and universal motifs. Ford (Where Healing Waters Meet) has a diverse background in business, chiropractic, psychotherapy and African-American history. He recounts many traditional African stories, exploring their metaphors, symbols and archetypal figures, their answers to the timeless questions of how to live, how life began and how it will end. While these tales have been notoriously absent from world literature, they are strikingly similar to Eastern, Western and Middle-Eastern mythology in many ways. As Ford splices the myths with his engaging analyses of them, he illuminates universal themes and values, symbols and characters. Applying the hero's journey to the African diaspora ("the massive forceful displacement of millions of Africans"), he ruminates: "there is every reason to believe that African slaves... understood their capture and travails in just such mythic terms." Likely to find its way into college classrooms, Ford's comprehensive work supplies a missing piece of world mythology".

Malidoma Some (author of Water and the Spirit)
    "Though the contribution of Africa to world mythology is monumental, African mythology has yet to gain the honor and admiration given to other mythologies in the West. Clyde For is destined to change this. The Hero with an African Face resurrects the sacred wisdom of traditional Africa. This book should be read with reverence and respect"

Peace :heart:

7. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Thanks SeekingMaat. The Hero with an African Face is a very good book. I enjoy it very much. I first read this back in 1998. I think everyone looking for a primer on African beliefs would benefit from reading this work.

Blackbird