Black Spirituality Religion : African South Magic - Rootwork

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Blackbird, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Nsala Malecum,

Hoodoo, also known as, Rootwork, what do you know about it?

Blackbird

2. mystic1974

mystic1974 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Nsala malecum,

Thank you Mystic1974. I've read that article before. Actually, I was looking for kindred spirits as I am a rootworker myself. Maybe I should have provided some clarification. Are there any fellow rootworkers around these parts? Now y'all don't be skared.....

Blackbird (wrapping up his drawing work as the full moon arrives tomorrow)

4. spirit_breeze8

spirit_breeze8 New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Rootwork

Hi .. I'm not heavy into rootwork as far as hoodoo/voodoo, understanding rootwork, I am an herbalist. I have read thru Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic by Catherine Yronwode and also a book on voodoo shamanism. Very interested in getting a little deep into rootwork, just been busy with other pieces of my healing work at the time. How long have you been doing rootwork ?

5. Blackbird

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Nsala malecum,

I, too, have Cat's book. One of my elders is a profound herbalist and healer as well. Mama Angela - she has come up with a comprehensive healing system. You sound as if you have the spirit of Osain around you. I've been into rootwork since 1999. I have a family tradition in it. I hope that book on "voodoo shamanism" wasn't written by this guy from Britain (can't think of his name now). If so, he has been much disparaged in the Vodou community for eclectic mixes and giving away "secrets" of the djevo. In addition, his maman kanzo (initiating godmother) is known for giving "bogus" initiations and false information on Vodou. If it is this guy, a word of caution, read with a very discriminating grain of salt. Also, another author to be weary of is Ray Malbrough and his work "Hoodoo Mysteries."

Along with your fling with rootwork, are you involved in any of the other ATRs? I wish you peace in your work and guidance from the ancestors.

Blackbird (searching the premises)

6. High Priest

High Priest Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    1It happened after the sons of men had multiplied in those days, that daughters were born to them, elegant and beautiful.

2And when the angels, (3) the sons of heaven, beheld them, they became enamoured of them, saying to each other, Come, let us select for ourselves wives from the progeny of men, and let us beget children.

(3) An Aramaic text reads "Watchers" here (J.T. Milik, Aramaic Fragments of Qumran Cave 4 [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1976], p. 167).

3Then their leader Samyaza said to them; I fear that you may perhaps be indisposed to the performance of this enterprise;

4And that I alone shall suffer for so grievous a crime.

5But they answered him and said; We all swear;

6And bind ourselves by mutual execrations, that we will not change our intention, but execute our projected undertaking.

7Then they swore all together, and all bound themselves by mutual execrations. Their whole number was two hundred, who descended upon Ardis, (4) which is the top of mount Armon.

(4) Upon Ardis. Or, "in the days of Jared" (R.H. Charles, ed. and trans., The Book of Enoch [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1893], p. 63).

8That mountain therefore was called Armon, because they had sworn upon it, (5) and bound themselves by mutual execrations.

(5) Mt. Armon, or Mt. Hermon, derives its name from the Hebrew word herem, a curse (Charles, p. 63).

9These are the names of their chiefs: Samyaza, who was their leader, Urakabarameel, Akibeel, Tamiel, Ramuel, Danel, Azkeel, Saraknyal, Asael, Armers, Batraal, Anane, Zavebe, Samsaveel, Ertael, Turel, Yomyael, Arazyal. These were the prefects of the two hundred angels, and the remainder were all with them. (6)

(6) The Aramaic texts preserve an earlier list of names of these Watchers: Semihazah; Artqoph; Ramtel; Kokabel; Ramel; Danieal; Zeqiel; Baraqel; Asael; Hermoni; Matarel; Ananel; Stawel; Samsiel; Sahriel; Tummiel; Turiel; Yomiel; Yhaddiel (Milik, p. 151).

10Then they took wives, each choosing for himself; whom they began to approach, and with whom they cohabited; teaching them sorcery, incantations, and the dividing of roots and trees.

11And the women conceiving brought forth giants, (7)

(7) The Greek texts vary considerably from the Ethiopic text here. One Greek manuscript adds to this section, "And they [the women] bore to them [the Watchers] three races–first, the great giants. The giants brought forth [some say "slew"] the Naphelim, and the Naphelim brought forth [or "slew"] the Elioud. And they existed, increasing in power according to their greatness." See the account in the Book of Jubilees.

12Whose stature was each three hundred cubits. These devoured all which the labor of men produced; until it became impossible to feed them;

13When they turned themselves against men, in order to devour them;

14And began to injure birds, beasts, reptiles, and fishes, to eat their flesh one after another, (8) and to drink their blood.

(8) Their flesh one after another. Or, "one another’s flesh." R.H. Charles notes that this phrase may refer to the destruction of one class of giants by another (Charles, p. 65).

15Then the earth reproved the unrighteous.

bless you all

7. High Priest

High Priest Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    1It happened after the sons of men had multiplied in those days, that daughters were born to them, elegant and beautiful.

2And when the angels, (3) the sons of heaven, beheld them, they became enamoured of them, saying to each other, Come, let us select for ourselves wives from the progeny of men, and let us beget children.

(3) An Aramaic text reads "Watchers" here (J.T. Milik, Aramaic Fragments of Qumran Cave 4 [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1976], p. 167).

3Then their leader Samyaza said to them; I fear that you may perhaps be indisposed to the performance of this enterprise;

4And that I alone shall suffer for so grievous a crime.

5But they answered him and said; We all swear;

6And bind ourselves by mutual execrations, that we will not change our intention, but execute our projected undertaking.

7Then they swore all together, and all bound themselves by mutual execrations. Their whole number was two hundred, who descended upon Ardis, (4) which is the top of mount Armon.

(4) Upon Ardis. Or, "in the days of Jared" (R.H. Charles, ed. and trans., The Book of Enoch [Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1893], p. 63).

8That mountain therefore was called Armon, because they had sworn upon it, (5) and bound themselves by mutual execrations.

(5) Mt. Armon, or Mt. Hermon, derives its name from the Hebrew word herem, a curse (Charles, p. 63).

9These are the names of their chiefs: Samyaza, who was their leader, Urakabarameel, Akibeel, Tamiel, Ramuel, Danel, Azkeel, Saraknyal, Asael, Armers, Batraal, Anane, Zavebe, Samsaveel, Ertael, Turel, Yomyael, Arazyal. These were the prefects of the two hundred angels, and the remainder were all with them. (6)

(6) The Aramaic texts preserve an earlier list of names of these Watchers: Semihazah; Artqoph; Ramtel; Kokabel; Ramel; Danieal; Zeqiel; Baraqel; Asael; Hermoni; Matarel; Ananel; Stawel; Samsiel; Sahriel; Tummiel; Turiel; Yomiel; Yhaddiel (Milik, p. 151).

10Then they took wives, each choosing for himself; whom they began to approach, and with whom they cohabited; teaching them sorcery, incantations, and the dividing of roots and trees.

11And the women conceiving brought forth giants, (7)

(7) The Greek texts vary considerably from the Ethiopic text here. One Greek manuscript adds to this section, "And they [the women] bore to them [the Watchers] three races–first, the great giants. The giants brought forth [some say "slew"] the Naphelim, and the Naphelim brought forth [or "slew"] the Elioud. And they existed, increasing in power according to their greatness." See the account in the Book of Jubilees.

12Whose stature was each three hundred cubits. These devoured all which the labor of men produced; until it became impossible to feed them;

13When they turned themselves against men, in order to devour them;

14And began to injure birds, beasts, reptiles, and fishes, to eat their flesh one after another, (8) and to drink their blood.

(8) Their flesh one after another. Or, "one another’s flesh." R.H. Charles notes that this phrase may refer to the destruction of one class of giants by another (Charles, p. 65).

15Then the earth reproved the unrighteous.

bless you all

8. NITAINO75

NITAINO75 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    what does all that have to do with 'Rootwork':?:

9. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Given some recent commentary can you please explain the difference, if there is one between Vodou and Hoodoo?

Om.....Preparing for the Feast of Cousin Marcus....:donttell:

10. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Even though the question was directed at my brother, Blackbird, I'll give my insight on this matter. Vodou(n) is an African Spiritual system, whose cosmological core is Ancestral.

Hoodoo, on the other hand, is not Ancestral nor is it cultural. At best it is multicultural, consisting of practices from cultures around the world.