Black History Culture : African Sexuality

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by oldsoul, Sep 23, 2004.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976

The purpose of African sex is to serve Ma'at (truth, justice, harmony and balance). African culture believes that the sex organs have two functions which are reproduction (ejaculation, conception) and regeneration (injaculation, orgasm without climax). African culture also believes that each act of intercourse creates either a child, a spirit child or a thought. African sex is a spiritual activity and a way to serve God (Creator) and usually a prayer is said before the act of sex or a ritual and/or ceremony is done to spiritualize the activity.

-Dr Llaila O. Afrika, from the Introduction, "The Sex Imperative", Mwalimu K. Bomani Baruti www.AKOBENHOUSE.COM

The word, Ma'at translates "that which is straight" and "truth". It implies anything that is true, ordered, or balanced.
    Spiritual means relating to deep feelings and beliefs; concerned with or affecting the spirit or soul (soul: deep feeling or emotion; the spiritual part of a person which some people believe continues to exist in some form after their body has died, or the part of a person which is not physical and experiences deep feelings and emotions; a deep understanding of and pride in the culture of Black people).
    Reproduction means to produce again, to re-create; to generate offspring; the process of generating offspring; the sexual activity of conceiving and bearing offspring.
    Regeneration means the activity of spiritual or physical renewal; to make or start anew; restore; forming again (especially with improvements or removal of defects); renewing and reconstituting.
    Truth: accordance with knowledge, fact or actuality; the real state of affairs; reality; a fact that has been verified; the quality of being true (true: not synthetic or spurious; of real or natural origin; reliable as a basis for action; consistent with fact or reality; not false; right and not wrong; correct; being what exists, rather than what was thought, intended or claimed; sincere or loyal, and likely to continue to be so in difficult situations).
    Justice: the upholding of what is morally right and fair. fairness: reasonableness, especially in the way people are treated or decisions are made.
    do yourself justice: to display your own abilities fully or perform to your full potential; to do something as well as you can in order to show your true qualities and ability.
    do justice to: to treat someone or something in a way that is fair and shows their true qualities.
    Harmony: accord or agreement; agreeable combination of component parts; complementary; when people are peaceful and agree with each other, or when things seem right or suitable together; a pleasing effect produced by an arrangement of things, parts, or colors.
    Balance: equilibrium (equilibrium: a state of balance; balance between opposing forces or influences; Latin aequilibrium "equal balance", from libra "balance"); equality of distribution; a state where things are of equal weight or force; to consider all sides; to be equal in amount or value, or to make things equal in amount or value.

The Institute for Black Men
    KNOWLEDGE STRENGTH COURAGE​

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    This is very spiritual and deep. My initial reaction when I started to read this was, gosh, I've been doing something all wrong. But as I read further I began to see where my approach to sexuality is not that far off from this description. But I do have a question though. Based on the list of components that are key to African sexuality, is it critical that "all" elements be included in one's sexualactivity if they subscribe to this (i.e., reproduction purposes) or can "some" be sufficient. For example and this may sound ignorant but, if someone is no longer capable of reproducing offspring, should they NOT engage in sexual activity and if they do.....is that going against the proper balance according to Ma'at?

Hopefully I worded that correctly and clearly....

Queenie :spinstar:

3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    "...it truly depends on the culture/ethnic group you are talking about. Africa is too immense a continent to apply this question in general...."
    panafrica

4. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Great Question

As I understand, sex is for reproduction and/or regeneration. Regeneration should not be confused with the european concept/idea of 'recreational' or 'casual' sex. As long as the purpose is regeneration, (which is the activity of spiritual or physical renewal; to make or start anew; restore; forming again (especially with improvements or removal of defects); renewing and reconstituting), and is a spiritual activity, that would be in keeping with Ma'at.
    The key to me, is in the creation of a spiritual activity, which is what you appear to already be observing. The concept/idea of renewing our own and our partner's spirit is not what european sex is all about; theirs is all about physical gratification and lust, which is why you wont find a definition of injaculation in their dictionary and why the concept/idea of orgasm without climax is not found in european literature.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    very intresting and valuable thankz for sharing the important need

6. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hmmmm...the concept of regeneration is appealing to me. Thank you Brother Old Soul for sharing this. Let me do some reading up on this and I'll keep my eye on this thread as more people share information.

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i think I'll side with the Europeans on this issue.

sex for spiritual purposes is all good and such but implicit in that view is the idea that sex is somehow wrong and only permitted if it serves some "higher" goal.
    in other words, it must be excused or justified.

this is a prudish view.

sex is a legitimate end in and of itself and needs not be justified by spiritual superstructure.
    i eat because I'm hungry, not to serve God.

8. NNQueen

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    To each his/her own Brother James. Either way it can be a "spiritual" experience regardless of whatever type of sexual relationship you desire as long as the encounter is fulfilled in a way that brings about the satisfaction that you seek. We all gain from our experiences what we put into them and seek out of them. I don't think there is any ONE way that we have to approach situations or view them. The act of sex is only important from the perspective in which it is viewed by the individuals involved. At least that's what I think. Just like any form of communication though, in order for people to walk away from the encounter with a sense of gratification, they should at least be clear about what each wants or desires and be in agreement on that.

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    have you ever viewed the world through a red mist of testosterone on a Saturday night? :hot:

10. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I don't think anyone who has had sex on this site solely did it to reproduce. That's rediculous to me. Everyone here gets HOT and bothered once in a while and looks at their girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife like a hostage in front of a refrigerator. :grin: There is nothing wrong with recreational/ casual sex unless you have some sort of hang up or a need to feel like you have it together better than others. If that was the reason why sex exist then this world would only have a few people walking around on it because most people who have a couple of kids never want to have another one. Bang on people. :juggle: :luvu: