Black People : African Secret Societies

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Knowledge Seed, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Does anyone have any info on African secret societies such as a Mau Mau or Ogboni? Are these societies as corrupt as freemasonry? Do any of them yield unspeakable power and still maintain an outlook of upliftment for the good of humanity?

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Just my opinion...but

From what I have read, and from what I have been taught such things are not to be discussed openly or written about.

I remember last year a brother wrote a post talking about a group in east Africa and how they kept their knowledge to themselves, but I can't remember the post.

3. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    I just want to know are they using their knowledge for the good of humanity or are they like european secret societies that are working for the NWO?

4. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    From what I do know they are traditional, kinship groups that have nothing to do with the Nwo, and are often referred to as "fraternities". This is the most I can say.

5. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    oh ok. I asked because many people in Nigeria were complaining about the power yielded by the Reformed Ogboni Fraternity. Many people there live in complete fear of the ROF. And I was just wondering whether this was a problem through out Africa.

6. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    It's a problem in Nigeria because President Obasanjo is a military dictator who is supposedly linked to the Ogbani. This may be true but I don't think it fair to link all Ogbani to what is going on in Nigeria. It is not spiritual power keeping him in power but military rule and support from western countries.

7. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    thanks for the enlightenment

8. imhotep06

imhotep06 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Web Applications Developer
    Ratings:
    +106
    Yeah when it comes to African Societies of Secret, you don't speak about it openly. To know what kind of powers are afforded its members, the best you could do is join and find out.

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    African secret societies were formed, traditionally as a means of social control, law enforcement, initiation faciliators and councils. Of course, as time has progressed, some of these societies have lost their focus and intent. Some members within these groups are corrupt or power hungry individuals due to their immaturity and lack of development; however, it is not necessarily an indictment of the society itself as moreso an indictment of individual members.

The Ogboni and its feminine counterpart Gelede were and are still a council of elders who confer to make decisions in the best interest of the community in which they preside. Their history is reputable and praiseworthy as many aspire to be invited and accepted as membership. The Egungun society of the Yoruba is one that celebrates the ancestors and operates in a miminal function of social control to ensure the directives set forth by the ancestors are being maintained. Further west, among the Mande-fu speaking people of Sierra Leone, Liberia, Cote d'Ivorie and Guinea we find the Poro and its feminine counterpart Sande societies operate to ensure initiation of the adolescents to adulthood, social control and law enforcement. These societies have their role in overall society.

From my understanding, the Western concept of "power over" is something, while not completely alien, that doesn't figure prominently in whole of African societies, many of which are egalitarian in structure.

As one marked for Palo, due to my Kongo ancestors, I am nominally aware of the three main root societies of my tradition. These are the Lemba, Kimpasi and Khimba secret societies and they are the same that Dr. Kimbwandende Kia Bunseki Fu-Kiau is an initiate of. Palo has a bad reputation for being used to harm and maim others, but it all depends on what is in the heart of the nganga. I personally would not hurt a fly except in defense. Is there secret handshakes, gestures, signs and symbols, words and other secret things? Yes, it's a secret society. Is there a reason why these things are secret? You betcha. Can anyone truly know what these societies are about? No, because the makes an oath not to tell under a variety of conditions. What if one person does speak or publish works? It would be hard to find someone to corroborate the information or not.

One of my friends guarantees his work is effective within 21 days and he's a good person. He received a nkisi from his godfather, who told him if he ever wanted to kill someone he could write the name and use his nkisi. He told me I can never imagine himself doing that and would even forget he was told about the power to do so. His work mainly centers on helping people.

I remember one of my teachers telling me if "you must write it down - write it down, commit it to memory and then burn it so what you know doesn't fall into the wrong hands." What I've learned can be extremely dangerous and diastrous in the hands of someone without license.

Blackbird

10. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    Ok.........thanks for the info. I was hearing a lot of negative things about African Secret Societies, so thanks for clearing that up. When you say "Palo has a bad reputation" are you referring to Palo Mayombe?