Black Spirituality Religion : African or not?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Blackbird, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    I would like to share a message that was in my inbox.

It is from Asar Imhotep, discussing his conversation with Dr. Welsey Muhammad. I would like to know what people think about this. As Bro. Clyde knows, I've been known to be a 'thought collector' and eventhough, religion doesn't excite me like it use to, I still relish in collecting people's thoughts.

Repost.

"I will not be in NY anytime soon, so I will miss that particular discourse. However, I had an opportunity briefly to discuss with him some questions in regards to his book prior to me receiving his book. I asked these questions: What makes the religion African? Is African because some Black people invented it or because it shares affinities with other African religions?
    >
    > "You can listen to the whole discussion at the following link:
    > http://www.blogtalk radio.com/ conscious- chats/2009/ 12/10/the- art-of-the- debate-pt2
    >
    > "I ask my questions starting around 1 hour and 2 minutes
    >
    > "His answer to the first series of questions was that he is defining Islam based on the veneration of ALLAH as “supreme being” and because of the rituals surrounding the visits of pilgrims to the Ka’Ba. I also asked him what is the difference between the White Arab Islam and the Indigenous Black Arab Islam and his answer was that Islam went from Pro-Black, Anti-White to Pro-White, Anti-Black. So in other words, nothing changed except the perpetrators of racism. However, upon reading the book he is stating that the change, when Mohammad came about, was a “reform” movement. At this period Mohammad went to war with other “black” Arab Muslims to get rid of the other “deities” that were being worshipped to “bring back” the “true” worship of ALLAH as the supreme being.
    >
    > "This is problematic in this wise: if that is all that changed, that means all of the issues people have with Islam are legitimate regardless of Black or White because people have a problem with the culture of Islam regardless of phenotype. This means prior to Mohammad, women were still secondary citizens and they promoted slavery (as he states when he says the Blacks enslaved the Whites). He will argue that Ta-Meri had slaves, which is true, but he can’t argue that the slavery was sanctioned by the God of the Egyptians: only that one, maybe two had enslaved in a particular deities (and we can rightfully argue ancestor’s) name. That is different than a religious sponsored slavery like the Pope did with Christianity.
    >
    > "So basically there is no difference between White Arab Islam and Black Arab Islam other than the getting rid of Allat and the daughters/sons of Allah and Allat as patron deities in the pantheon. If anything, this is where the true African character lies and this is when it ceased to be African. I still have to finish the book so I can discuss more after that, but again, you can listen to the dialogue and I would be more than happy to discuss further my issues with certain aspects of this book.

2. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,097
    Certainly, words to ponder, Blackbird.

I'm gonna check out that link you suggested.

3. KEMAKIL

KEMAKIL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electronic/Telecom Engineer
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thank you Blackbird,

I listened to the discussion and was impressed with Dr. Welsey Muhammad.
    His statement that the Prophet Muhammad and the people of that area of Arabia were black was news to me. So I think on one technical point Dr. Muhammad was correct, the reform that the Prophet Muhammad started was
    of African creation (by people of African descent). And the religion the Prophet was reforming was the Judeo-Christian, which were influenced by Africa. But to your point, was it African or African centered or was the Prophet trying to introduce African Spirittuality? I think not. I still need to read Dr. Muhammad's book and research the religions of black Arabia.