Black History Culture : African Languages

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Knowledge Seed, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Hey family!

Let's use this thread for learning African languages. I suggest we start with Swahili.

2. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    Any suggestions on what language we should start with?

3. Jazzytude

Jazzytude Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8
    Swahilli

So let's start
    :tennis:

4. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

Swahili sounds good...

5. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    Does anybody have any good sources to start with, like greetings and introductions?

6. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
    Why

Mekyea wo Barima (I greet you Brother) Knowledge Seed,

I am interested in knowing why you want us to learn an Afrikan language?

7. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    So we can communicate amongst ourselves without white people knowing. Plus it can provide an extra line of income for those that desire to become translators.

8. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
    Importance of learning Afrikan languages

Yoo, Meda ase (Ok, Thank you).

I was learning Twi in an online interactive classroom not so long ago and will be continuing as I want to become fluent in speaking and writing it.

The importance of learning an Afrikan language:

I purchased a spoken interview of Baba Medahochi (who was 83 at the time but has now transitioned) which I would like to share some points with you where he speaks on the importance of why Afrikans in the Diaspora should learn Afrikan languages.

Baba Medahochi learnt to speak many Afrikan languages including KiSwahili and Yoruba. He says: “A language is the clothing of a culture. Culture is the clothing of a people... The first thing an Afrikan is supposed to do in our reAfrikanisation of ourselves should be to try and acquire an Afrikan language because we must redefine our whole world.”

When asked what was some of the things he started to see differently in terms of reconceptualising the world speaking an Afrikan language, he says, “It was liberating. …there was a statement made, I think it was made by Franz Fanon, he said, a person who possesses a language consequently possesses a world that is expressed and implied by that language.”

Baba Medahochi continues to say that, “you cannot reAfrikanise yourself in English or Arabic or Dutch or Chinese. In order to be an Afrikan you must have an Afrikan language to define your world”.

When asked what is meant by the reAfrikanisation process, he says, “…we have to reAfrikanise ourselves because Afrika was taken away from us – we were emptied out.... and when you’re emptied and don’t have a culture then anything can be poured into you. …All Afrikan people who were colonised and captured are caught up in six cultures….that’s English, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Dutch and Arabic. …You go anywhere in the Afrikan world and you’ll find those people controlling our thinking and our minds.”

When asked about the perspectives of our great scholars, writers and thinkers who have brilliant concepts and have reconceptualised the world expressed in european languages, he says, “...these scholars used what they had to use because that’s all they had…I’m saying, if I’m starving and you give me a bunch of hog meat…I got to eat to survive. But once I find something else better I should let the hog meat alone. …once we get the opportunity to study an afrikan language we should take advantage of that…Marcus Garvey had an excuse, he had to speak English so we understood. But we should carry his thing on further and begin to speak an Afrikan language and become what he tried to make us become. I don’t think we should criticize Frederick Douglass for speaking English …yes its alright for our fathers and mothers of the past to teach us Spanish and Portuguese, but we (now) have the advantage to carry our reAfrikanisation process a step further and bring in the Afrikan languages. … ”

If you would like to hear the rest of this interview, please email me for further details on where you can purchase it. Also, there are online resources for those who want to study/learn an Afrikan language. Please email me for further details.

AsomdwoeE ne Nhyira (Peace and Blessings)

9. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    Can you post those sources here?

10. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    see sista soul this is why we need you

keep bringing water