Black Education / Schools : African Immigrants have the highest educational attainment but the incomes don't match up

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by WhatNeedsToBeDone, Feb 7, 2014.

1. WhatNeedsToBeDone

WhatNeedsToBeDone Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +43
    http://www.americanprogress.org/iss...-about-black-immigrants-in-the-united-states/

Hello, as many of us already know; African immigrants have the highest educational attainment in America which is very respectable. But according to various sources, [generally speaking] they are still not making the same income that other ppl with the same credential make. Why is this?

My first thoughts were of course racism but do you find these other factors to be very relevant:
    - Degrees from Africa are not accredited/valued as much as American degrees
    - Since most African immigrants are very new to the country, they generally lack a lot of connections

I would especially appreciate a response from an educated african immigrant who has experienced struggle as well as one who has experienced success. But of course anybody w/any relevant info is urged to respond.

I wish they could publish data ONLY comparing the incomes of college graduates of each race, just to paint a clear picture. As well as breaking it down by degree major. Does anybody have a source of the proportion of African immigrants holding American degrees vs foreign degrees compared to that of other immigrant groups?

2. writer33

writer33 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hi. I'm new here, and I cannot provide a direct answer to your question. But simply wanted to mention I have dear African friends from the Ivory Coast and Uganda. The first is a family, three sisters and a brother, and their mother, a very dignified, intelligent woman. Sadly, I do not speak French, their native tongue. The brother, the 2nd oldest, graduated with honors from IUPUI (Indiana University/Purdue University at Indianapolis). He is now in business as a business tax and financial consultant. The youngest sister just graduated, also honors, an almost straight-A student. Her degree, international relations and political science. Oddly, she has begun a musical career. I have been blessed to know them and be included as part of their family. The other, a Catholic nun from Uganda, who speaks 7 languages and I believe two masters degrees, and a beautiful spirit with an amazing sense of humor, and a woman's advocate from a land where there is much male dominance. Of course, I know nothing if my Ivorians income. I responded to this to express how knowing this family and my Ugandan friend have changed my outlook on race and friendship in so many ways. It has been nothing short of enlightening for me. I also have taught in inner city schools in Indianapolis before coming to California. Because of my newspaper background, I was teaching journalism after being a substitute. Sorry this is so long, but I do have a deep interest in education and, of course being here, in interracial, intercultural and interfaith friendships. With best regards....