Pan Africanism : African Immigrants a Successful Bunch, But Not Overall

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by dustyelbow, Jun 15, 2007.

1. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    A story by an African hopefully for all to read and enjoy.

African Immigrants a Successful Bunch, But Not Overall

One note with SUCCESS, I havent seen any AFRICAN group RETIRE SUCCESSFULLY in this LAND of RUTHLESS WHITE.

If anybody can ACHIEVE that it appears you are not of this WORLD.

I talk MYSTERIES.

Oh well.

2. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    This article is good news. I wish all the success to these African immigrants.

3. mrron

mrron Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Dustyelbow, this is a good topic. Now, you use the term "ruthless white". These Africans come here with skin that is two shades darker than ours, but yet they aren't crying "ruthless white", they see the unlimited opportunities here and take advantage of them. Their kids aren't toting guns, smoking weed, dropping out of school, going to jail, chronically unemployed, and crying racism because they are black and unsuccessful.

I work with a Ghanian, he holds two college degrees, and speaks about four different languages. He has two daughters and they are both straight A students. He also brought two nieces here from Ghana, they are also doing very well.

These are people with ambition, they work hard and are willing to relocate to a foreign land to achieve their goals. Some of our people here are just plain lazy, let's face it. Many have the talent and brains but will not use them to improve their lives. Most of the Africans I've met have told me that they don't consider blacks here to be African. They say that we have no pride or sense of responsibility.

They are proving to everyone that skin color won't stop you from succeeding.
    Hip Hip Hooray! for the Africans in the US. Why are some of us still talking about "going back to African"?

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Dustyelbow, this is a good topic. Now, you use the term "ruthless white". These Africans come here with skin that is two shades darker than ours, but yet they aren't crying "ruthless white", they see the unlimited opportunities here and take advantage of them.
    It's not so much the skin color that determines whether or not AA's can succeed compared to Continental Africans in America, it's the negative stigma attached to AA's that hinders their progress; yes some of it is self-inflicted.

Their kids aren't toting guns, smoking weed, dropping out of school, going to jail, chronically unemployed, and crying racism because they are black and unsuccessful.
    True. They also have stronger cultural ties, and the power holders don't have a guilt complex toward our Continental Brothers which would lead them to discriminate. You can't compare the state of the AA family to that of a Black Continental African family.

I work with a Ghanian, he holds two college degrees, and speaks about four different languages. He has two daughters and they are both straight A students. He also brought two nieces here from Ghana, they are also doing very well.
    I assure you that if your Ghanaian co-worker was reared outside American culture, in Ghana, he had a better shot at succeeding against the odds compared to an AA. There likely was no inferior complex imposed on him.

These are people with ambition, they work hard and are willing to relocate to a foreign land to achieve their goals. Some of our people here are just plain lazy, let's face it. Many have the talent and brains but will not use them to improve their lives. Most of the Africans I've met have told me that they don't consider blacks here to be African. They say that we have no pride or sense of responsibility.
    Most people who emigrate to the states are ambitious; hence, their reason for coming here. I know some Continental Brothers are c.ocky, but some of them look at their own state of homeland existence before they fix their mouths to talk about AA's lifestyles. Hmm, I never knew pride and responsibility were the sole determinant factors of what's African.

They are proving to everyone that skin color won't stop you from succeeding.
    Hip Hip Hooray! for the Africans in the US. Why are some of us still talking about "going back to African"?
    The notion of going back to Africa harbors more of a spiritual connotation. You're painting a very capitalistic, dog-eat-dog picture of Continental Africans with a detractive twist. Do you
    think non-AA's support the back to Africa movement so others can take our places here and flourish, since you say many of them them deem us lazy and undeserving of American opportunities?

5. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    african immigrants...

what most black americans fail to understand about african and indian immigrants is that[MOST] of them have money when they come here,it's just that the u.s. gives them the opportunity to make more[believe i know quite a few of these folks and none of them are hurting for a dollar before or since they got here.

6. abdurratln

abdurratln Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +153
    I think you are simply repeating myths. And you are mistaken, sorry to say. I hear that excuse all the time. But, I see no evidence to support this myth that these people have money already; or, that the government gives them money.

Talk to some of these new members of our community. Get to know them and learn from them. They are links to our heritage.

For those who are refugees, it works something like this. The U.S. government gives them a one-way airplane ticket here. Once they get here, they must get a job, work and re-pay the government for the airplane ticket.

This is far closer to the truth than these myths about how the government gives immigrants money.

7. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    i didn't say all,i said most and i know alot of africans from different countries and none of em are hurting for a dollar or are the indians.

8. mrron

Ratings:
    +5
    African American people can take advantage of the same opportunities that the Indians, Africans etc. see when they arrive here. Since I've worked for Immigration (now Homeland Security) for twenty years, I know from experience that many of them come here with nothing. The most common means for entering the US for them is as a student. They get a degree and make connections to start their own businesses or work for a corporation. Once they get the proper visa to stay here and work, they are on their way. Many get married to a US citizen in order to become a permanent resident. Our government does have some programs that pay for some of their education, this comes under the government's cultural diversity programs. These are usually the creme of the crop from where they come from.

I never see unemployed African men hanging around talking about any lack of opportunities, after all, they have come several thousand miles to get here. This is the land of opportunity, the best the world has to offer. I know too many young black men who won't relocate to a better city for employment, in order to get a job. We listen to too many excuses from them. We need to tell them to literally "shut up" when they are talking about their reasons for failure, and give them ten times more reasons that they can succeed.

To answer Spicy Brown, No! I don't think African's wish for us to go back to Africa, so that they can take our place here. They don't need to take our place, because they are doing better already. There's plenty of opportunity here, we can't keep people from crossing the borders because of all the opportunities. Eleven million people illegally employed in the US. But you are right spicy, culture has a lot to do with it. We had a better culture fourty years ago at the height of racism. Now it has all gone down hill as racism diminishes.

9. abdurratln

abdurratln Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +153
    Well, I do not think that racism has dimished at all. I think it has gotten worse. But, your point is otherwise well taken. Our problem is that as racism intensifies, we become ever more brain-washed. For instance, the Honorable Dr. Booker T. Washington built the only unvisersity that
    Africans have built in this country. But, instead of learning form this positive experience, we bad-mouth Dr. Washington. All we seem able to do is aspire to be like whitefolks. By imitating whites and thereby stroking their egos, we only encourage racism. For instance, instead of building our own institutions, even our own families, we aspire to attend white institutions such as Harvard and Yale. We get our PHD's and when we die, we have nothing to show for the trouble. This is why things have actually gotten worse for us. Dr. Washington built a university, Africans. Why can't we see that? We have been brain-washed to hate everything African and to love everything European.

Sad but true.

The immigrants are Africans, like us. But, we expect them to imitate our bad example instead of setting a good example of their own. When they refuse to act stupid like us, we accuse them of being taken care of by the government; which is just plain crazy.

We need to learn from the immigrants. We need to establish relationships with the African immigrants as our first contacts to Africa since the slavetrade. Stop bad-mouthing the African Immigrants. Period.

10. mrron

Ratings:
    +5
    Abdurratin, I'm not sure that we are trying to be like white people at all. There is bound to be a lot of european influence in the way we live and think, that is why this was called the new world. It's all still experimental to a degree, with all these different races and ethnic groups vying for the same resources. But we still have our roots in religion, music, art etc. I think that we are still a rather unique people. I see no point in being here and yet separating ourselves by building our own Universities. I graduated from an HBCU and I am very proud of that fact. I am also proud of the fact that my alma mater is now open to people of all races from all over the world. We as black people have changed the world and created the concept of human and civil rights, we are leaders and the world follows our lead when we speak out about injustice.

You said racism has intensified. I would have to disagree with that entirely. I grew up in th sixties when black people were still being hung just for being black in the wrong place and time, and it was a common occurrence. We were not allowed in many places including Harvard and Yale. Professional jobs didn't exist for us. We couldn't borrow money to buy a home in many places. We still had to say yes and no sir to white people or risk being beaten. I could go on and on with a much longer list. Yes there is still racism, but we have the right to fight against it now, where we didn't before. No way has racism intensified. All of these black men married to white women would have been lynched at the height of racism. You might argue that racism is mostly under cover now, but I would just say good, let's keep it there.

We have been over taken population wise by hispanics, they see the problems with racism, but they are not letting it handicap them, nor is anyone else but our people.

Oprah Winfrey still gets a little mistreatment too based on race, but she just earned the highest income of anyone in the US this past year. It just proves that when it comes to race, there are still fools in the world, especially those who don't know what true power is, a racist only has power if you allow him to have it over you. When that happen's guess who is the fool?

The African who succeed here are not fooled into thinking that there is no racism, they recognize it also. But again they don't see themselves as powerless because of it. It probably puts more limitations on them than it does on us, but yet they still rise. What about us?