African Holiday : African Holidays - can you name any - along with their date / reason for celebrating?

Destee

destee.com
destee.com
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Peace and Blessings Family,

Scanning the surface of why April Fool's Day exists ... reading "western world" often ... this question came to mind.

What of African Holidays? Do you know any ... celebrate any?

Can you name them along with their date(s) and reason for celebration?

Any country in Africa ... or even ... any holiday / celebration exported from Africa.

Thanks a Bunch!

:heart:

Destee

I can't even name African months. I did have some books that informed me of festivals; but my impression is "holidays" are either more seasonal or "incalculable."

For instance, one celebration in the Akan was about every 40 days. But only about every interval. I think it depended on how many days the last celebration lasted.

Another thing to note is Harvest Festivals may be more related to whether Harvesting started/finished than what date it is. The same with other celebrations related to the seasons.

In other words, it might not make sense to celebrate an African Holiday outside of Africa. Although we do have Kwanzaa and the birthdays of great Africans.

Odun ifa (Yoruba New Year) is celebrated on June 3rd.

Yam Festival is December 26 - January 1

Brother Knowledge Seed ... Thanks ... :toast1:

I couldn't find very much on either of the above holidays ... and that which i did ... the dates aren't matching.

Well ... Odun Ifa (Yoruba New Year) ... i didn't see another date at all ... no June 3rd mentioned ... per my googling.

The Yam Festival ... i found a little more ... but the info said it was held in August ... at the end of the rainy season.

Which kinda speaks to what Brother Asomfwaa said ... about holidays not necessarily tied to calendar dates.

Surprisingly (to me) ... most of the holidays i found for South Africa and Ghana ... almost matched American ones.

I've started threads for both of these holidays ... so hopefully we can add information about them (as we find it) ... and add them to our new calendar ... (in order to be added to the calendar, the "event" has to have its own thread) ... :yaay:

I couldn't find much information regarding either of these days.

Please share if you have a link to a source speaking specifically to June 3rd ... is it that same date every year or does it vary?

I can update the opening post if we find more accurate info, and feel free to add to those threads as well.

I'll add them both to the calendar once we can be sure of the dates ... as we may find dates don't really work?

I don't know ... let me know what you think.

Thanks a Bunch ... and please ... share more ... and we'll add them to the calendar too!

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

I can't even name African months. I did have some books that informed me of festivals; but my impression is "holidays" are either more seasonal or "incalculable."

For instance, one celebration in the Akan was about every 40 days. But only about every interval. I think it depended on how many days the last celebration lasted.

Another thing to note is Harvest Festivals may be more related to whether Harvesting started/finished than what date it is. The same with other celebrations related to the seasons.

In other words, it might not make sense to celebrate an African Holiday outside of Africa. Although we do have Kwanzaa and the birthdays of great Africans.

African months? ... you know i went and looked ... googled ... i didn't see any "African months" ... :huh2:

Are you messing with me right now ... are there really different months in Africa?

You're right about the seasons, harvest, and stuff ... i'm seeing a lot of that.

Hmmm ... interesting ... i've yet to confirm an African holiday yet ... it's unfortunate that Wikipedia appears to be the only / best source for this information on the Internet? That's weird.

This all makes me have another question ... :wink:

Thanks Yall ... if you find some African holidays that we can add to our calendar ... let me know.

Love You!

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back