Black People : AFRICAN HIP HOP MOURNS

naija-man

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 17, 2003
PLANET EARTH
Occupation
STUDENT
mrdevious.jpg

At 7.30pm l, 23rd January 2004 , Mario van Rooy a.k.a. Mr. Devious tragically died from injuries inflicted by a small gang who were assaulting his father.

Mr. Devious was one of the most promising and most influential emcees out of South Africa and we at Africanhiphop.com would like to send our deepest condolences to the Van Rooy family.

He leaves behind a pregnant wife and two daughters.

Mr Devious was more than just a rapper, he was a social activist who used his music as a tool with which to fight against injustice globally. His lyrics most often spoke about the reality of life on the Cape Flats and about alternatives to the insane cycle of violence which grips the area. As a rapper he has performed in and worked with producers across South Africa and he has also performed and recorded in Tanzania, Sweden and on several of his trips to The Netherlands. He worked with the Africanhiphop.com team on an Aids awareness campaign at Bush Radio in Cape Town in 2000, joined in several exchanges and recorded tracks and a music video with us.

His work with CRED (Creative Education with Children and youth at risk) as an educator took him to prisons where he worked with 14-17 year-old youths, teaching them life skills through hip-hop culture. As quoted on the Dutch website keykids.nl, Devious stated:
"It is about their future … I ask them to think about their lives, why they are mad or unhappy. I want them to realise that there are opportunities to change their lives."
The youth he worked with respected him because he was from the same streets and neighbourhoods they came from but despite of the realities on the Cape Flats he found a way of bettering himself .
"I try to show the youth that it is possible to make something of your life."

It is truly a sad day in African hip hop history. We salute this fallen true African hip hop icon. He will surely be missed by every person his lyrics have touched. Our thoughts are with the van Rooy family.

In the song 'Can Money Buy You' his lyrics state:

"We caught up, ultimately we're six feet deep
so if I die, I pray to God that my seeds proceed"

Mario van Rooy a.k.a. Mr. Devious
Born 16/09/77
Died 23/01/2004

ADD YOUR CONDOLENCES 2 THIS PAGE(LINK)

naija-man, this is a beautiful memorial to someone who obviously made a positive and strong impact on other people's lives. Warriors like this are truly missed when they physically leave us, but I firmly believe that their spirits live on within each and every person whose lives they touched. Thank you for sharing Mario van Rooy's legacy with us and giving us at Destee.com a glimmer of his light.

May his guidance continue to lead us as he starts his journey in the spirit realm and takes his rightful place alongside our Ancestors!

Peace :bowdown:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back