Pan Africanism : AFRICAN HERITAGE IN CENTRAL AMERICA...

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    http://www.bjmjr.com/afromestizo/conclusion.htm

I will begin to present some of these pages more frequently... We need dialogue with our spanish-speaking brothers and sisters in the same way there is a need for dialogue with Continental Africans...

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    http://www.clas.ufl.edu/users/afburns/afrotrop/afro.htm

This page features the GARIFUNA of Central America... They are mostly of Honduras and Guatemala, and my good friend hails from this group of proud African people who claim never to have been enslaved...

Peace!
    Isaiah

3. bienamor

bienamor Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Dialogue????

:hearthis: You do mean dialogue, not preaching, browbeating???? Almost everytime a latino comes on this site with a different viewpoint than the AA's they get shot down, and told that they must conform to your view,because theirs is wrong. :bowdown:

You need to understand that we have our own countries, cultures and do not have the same experiences that you do, nor want them! It's hard to be prejudiced when your older brother would be a white in harlem, and your younger brother would fit right in. We on our cedula(your social security card) have skin colors, blanco, indio, negro. Because of this we don't think in terms of the Mau Mau, or kill Whitey, as has be referenced on other threads by other people here. :fight:

Don't judge us all by what you see in USA. I for one will never understand why someone would pay $5000us ($157,000rd) for passage on a rowboat across the Mona passage to Puerto Rico, to provide more shark bait! They could have used that money better here! I think their eyes have been fooled by television, the streets of NYC, Miami, Boston are not paved with gold! :swim:

We have no problem when we cannot remember someones name saying rubio,flaco,moreno,negro, gordo. (blondie, skinnny,brown, black one, fatty). It's not disrepectfull, its normal, and the color of the person saying it or the color of the person being spoken to does not make any difference. Kind of like we use gringo, or el americano for any countries tourist. El americano, and gringo is also used for american negros, we don't call them african-americans. The term does not mean anything to us, they are americans. :happens:

gracis mi dos centavos (thanks my two cents)

now waiting for the :flame: , as this is the normal response to other viewpoints. And my friends that's not the definition of dialogue!

4. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    bienamor, I see you know very little about African American social life, racialization in America or how African Americans deal with color. Where are you residing at this time? And how long have you ever lived in the U.S?

Peace,

Brother Sun :cool:

5. bienamor

bienamor Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    you are correct

Your correct I don't. know about there, but I do know about here in the Dominician Republic.

Don't read anywhere in my post where I asked or said anything about AA's social life, or racialization or how you deal with color. Did say about here. Did live there for a while as I was in the US Army. but only then.

what does that have to do with what I posted?? Is this part of the Dialogue? If your going to have dialogue with me you also have to understand the situation in other places, and that they may not be the same as yours.

6. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    I'm really trying to understand this paragraph:

The statements I previously made, have a lot to do with your post, because you are always making comparisons. I mean, what do you know about how color is perceived in Harlem or any of the other African American communities?

7. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    BienAmor, perhaps some folks get shot down because they come up in here talking about being Latino when the discussion is about AF-f-f-RICAN latino, with the emphasis steady on AFRICAN???(smile!)

BienAmor, I dig the cultural differences between African Latinos and myself, and I dig the Cultural similarities between my brethren and myself, and I'm comfortable either way with having an honest dialogue, and rewarding conversational exchange between us... BTW, there are a whole bunch of African Latinos who do subscribe to those things which you belittled... I can name some cats off-da-top who would fit nicely into the silly little stereotyped comments you made about African Americans, and our supposed Mau Mau/Kill Whitey predisposition... Dont' say you didn't say that, don't say you didn't imply that, as it is WRITTEN right up above, and it's straight dumb, o.k.???

You are a Latino, and you aint never heard of Celeo Alvarez Casildo of the Garifuna in Honduras, or Dr. Carlos Russell, creator of Black Solidarity Day, an African Panamanian... I am an African American, and I am willing to bet these brothers are closer to me in their thoughts than you... B.A., stop with YOUR stereotyping of AFrican Americans and how we do bidness, man... Like Sunship said, you talk not of your personal knowledge, but out of hearsay and supposition - and we can tell, because little you say has the ring of relativity and reality...

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. bienamor

bienamor Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Correct,

Correct never heard of them maybe because Im not Honduran, panamanian? I am a Dominicano. They may be closer to you than me will not dispute that, but I can also show you lots of people who are closer to me than you,

yes I did reference the Mau Mau, and kill whitiey comments that I have seen in other threads written by other members in these forums which if you want I will find,along with the names of the people that wrote them. also comments in other threads about the need for armed revolution.

I assume that you have heard of Juan Pablo Duarte,Trujillo Molina,Joaquin Balaguer,Pena Gomez,Lionel Fernandez. Just to name a few. That are/were more interested in our nation than the problems north of us.

I was not sterotyping AA's just commenting on the use of the word dialogue vs preaching to us that we are always wrong, and need to see it your way. An so far neither you or Sun Ship have tried for a dialogue, just that I'm wrong! because I am not agreeing with you. So much for my culture and option. how long do most non AA's continue posting???? not long normally, whether they be african's or latino's.

You live in NYC right? come on down its only $250 from Kennedy to Santo Domingo, you dont even need a passport. drivers license or birth certificate will do. I will give you a personal tour of the country. :horse:

Yes I was talking about being latino be cause the orginal start of of this was because of the need for dialogue between AA's and Latino's si o no?

9. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    BienAmor... Perhaps, you are right about myself not presenting my comments in a way that encourages dialogue... I hope you will accept my apologies for that... Fact is, I have long ago established great relations and relationships with African Latinos from many countries... My best friend is, in fact, an AFrican Latino, and a few others are close friends, as well...

I have only owned a PC for 5 years, and in that time, this is the very first time in which I posted my thoughts to an African American discussion forum... For three years, the only boards I posted to were African Latino Discussion forums(AfroCubaWeb and Afrolatino.Com, as well as, Mundo Afrolatino.com)... In that time I came to know African Latinos, and African Latino culture and history from quite a few countries, and found that history and the cultures much more complex than African Americans could possibly realize without some study... Fact is, there is no such thing as African Latino Culture, as it is made of many different, though similar cultures...

You are right, African Americans, at times, sound pontifical to African Latinos in our "narrow" view of the world, but that, you must understand, is because African Latinos are coming into an environment quite unlike the ones they left, and thus have some ideas that are not compatible with the one they are entering... Those who have been here for awhile understand what I am talking about... Conversely, African Americans are not coming into any Latin American environment, and telling African Latinos how to live, how to co-exist with Indigenos and Blancos... We are here, and simply telling/explaining to African Latinos that they must drop their illusions on this soil... Some take offense, some learn later that we were giving them quite sound advice... It all depends on the person, and their experiences...

North America is NOT Latin America, and thus, some of the ideas African Latinos and Latinos in general, have about this area of the world, requires some serious adjustsments... In our sometimes, crude way, we wish to inform the uninitiated to the situation they are walking into... We are direct, we are oft-times raw, but that is our way, please understand... Better to break it to one raw, than gently in an environement that is severe on those who don't know what time it is....(smile!)

As for the gentlemen you mentioned, I am familiar with all of them to varying degrees... Trujillo and Balaguer are responsible for the Dominican hatred of Hatians and Blacks in general... It is they who crafted and implemented the ideology that Dominicans are claro indios, while Haitians are the Black Ones... Under Trujillo's reign, the "perijil" massacre, in which 37,000 Haitians were murdered, took place... Trujillo was, himself, a part Black(like Fulgencio Batista in Cuba), but we see through his example the devastating effects of self-hatred and pathological insecurity...

I could go on and on with the stuff I have learned about this subject, but time doesn't permit.. Like I said, I will begin attempting to bring more of this flavor to this board, and suggest that African Americans begin checking out the www.AfroCubaWeb.com/ and MundoAFrolatino.com/ websites, and dialoguing with the brethren at these addresses... They are as bright and brilliant in their understanding of the world around them as anyone - and they are VERY BLACK in their orientation... I say lets' begin the conversation, and let the past be the past... You care to start a new trend, BienAmor??? Maybe I take you up on the offer to see the Dominican...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

10. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62