Black People : African Fraternalism

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Knowledge Seed, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Through out America a huge change is taking place on college campuses. Afrocentric view points are becoming the main view point of many new forming fraternities/sororities for African diaspora. This is becoming a growing threat(A threat that I am proud of) to the previous establishment of fraternalism amongst the Diaspora. Slowly we are making our way back to the way our ancestors lived. I've heard stories of African fraternities picking fights with BGLOs over the disrespect of Black women. I wish their was a way to spread at least one of these African fraternities to all of the campuses where there are BGLOs. What do you all think?

2. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
  3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,587
    If this is indeed true then it is a circular development. When I was an undergraduate back in the mid 70s one of the universities I attended had an african-centered fraternity known as Ujamaa Wa Watu. The thing is there was no organized network once folks left the campus and into the community especially upon graduation. So African "fraternalism" is of little practical value unless it is linked to community service and action.

4. Knowledge Seed

Ratings:
    +551
    Yeah that does seem to be a problem. The only African-Centered Fraternity I've seen with graduation chapters, is Malik Fraternity, Inc.

The Order of Kush is an international, African-centered, honor society that is doing much of the same.

I think African Fraternalism is a work in progress, but needs an extra push.