Science and Technology : African fractals, in buildings and braids

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by twashing, Dec 16, 2007.

1. twashing

twashing Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    ""I am a mathematician, and I would like to stand on your roof." This is how Ron Eglash greeted many African families while researching the intriguing fractal patterns he noticed in villages across the continent. He talks about his work exploring the rigorous fractal math underpinning African architecture, art and even hair braiding."

This is seriously far out.

Ron Eglash: African fractals, in buildings and braids

2. GrandHustle

GrandHustle Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Africa the birth place of robust self organizing algothrims.

Very good post Twashing.

3. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Imagine...and we still wonder who we are as a people....when everybody on the planet seems to know but us !!!

4. rnojonson

rnojonson Well-Known Member MEMBER

electrical draftsman/pc tech
    Ratings:
    +16
    Africa is the source of many things.

Just looked at the fractals video, it is very enlightening. While in college I was very impressed with African architecture and patterns. To see the underlying reasons is very cool. In art and architecture history many Euro folk discovered and claimed credit for ideas that have come from Africa. Do we need to examine African ways of doing things a little harder to repair the damaging ways we use today? I look at Ubuntu Linux compared to Apple and Microsoft and wonder if our business models should change.
    Teaching black kids about technical heritage is hard, even in college we gravitated toward the cultural things, dancing and drumming and dress, which are cosmetic. We had the black dorm and black studies (mostly sociology). We should have talked about the patterns and systems behind what we could see.