Black People : African DNA testing a fraud?? Ericka Badu (Bamileke)

With so many supposed "frauds" put on people, I can dig the potential of this supposed fraud... that is unless it benefits the "ENEMY" is some major way.

That darn beast will always find a way to benefit from it though, so until we become better at "Chess" than it is, we often have to get what we can get and turn those lemons into lemonade.

Fat Belly Bella always giving out some good "meat"!

If Badu and Yasiin Bey use this as a basis for a "trend setter", without sponsoring the "DNA Tracing" for profit but instead start a foundation to set up "FREE" centers for "Melinated" people, then right on.

Any motivation to get young and older kindred in the mindset of considering a trip to the continent of "Africa" would be considered an invaluable trade-off, imo.

Respect
I totally agree it would be cool if someone with resources could set up legitimate dna testing. I'm kinda of leery of DNA testing because maybe they are using it decode the black race for possible diabolical reasons.

I think professor skip gates was promoting DNA testing but I don't think many people trust him.

Bro Blackbird and Dr. Omowale Jabali thanks for chiming in.

I have been working on my roots tree for years. I traced both sides back to Virginia...and now I'm at a dead end because I havent had time to explore things in Virginia. My mother's father side comes from Shreveport, Louisiana. I found like 3-4 generations of the family in different Caddo censuses but to this day we are disconnected from this side of the family currently living in Shreveport.

So my other choices are to:
Submit a African DNA from the oldest living women in my family
Get a roots reading from a legitimate ATR elder
Select a country in Africa and designate it as my home country

By the way I'm not totally consumed with this journey but my internal destiny burns with this quest.

I am currently working with a few people back at home in Shreveport on a couple of major projects. One of the things we will be addressing in one of the projects is genealogy. We are still in the planning phases, laying the ground work and logistics, but you can expect the flight phase to occur in late 2015.

I think you told me once but what is the name of your family from the Shreveport area? Do you know what neighborhood or part of town they are from?

Shreveport has about 17 Black neighborhoods and about 8 of them are historical Black neighborhoods. Some families are usually associated with a particular area of town. So if someone knows the neighborhood where a family lives, you can sometimes find the family because someone may know that family or at least members of the family. I am from Queensborough - which is one of the central neighborhoods west of downtown and north of I-20.

Do you know if they live in or are from Queensborough, Mooretown, Allendale, Lakeside, Cedar Grove, Stoner Hill, the Bottom, the Cooper Road, Hollywood, Caddo Heights, Morningside or some where else?

This is some pretty weak stuff, Shems; you have white folk running Okayafrica, and competition going on between Dr. Jackson and African Ancestry ... There is no real debate, difference of opinion maybe, but no debate of substance ... Jackson claims to have a new African "marker."

TEAM
The Okayafrica team is dedicated to bringing you the latest from Africa’s New Wave; with more than half the population in many African nations under 25, the bright continent is currently undergoing an explosion of vibrant new music, fashion, art and political expression. These are the people that make it all happen!

OKAYAFRICA STAFF

ginny-gingerlynn-syss.jpg

CO-PRESIDENT
GINNY “GINGERLYNN” SUSS
Ginny Suss learned everything she needed to know about rhythm and melody from Michael Jackson (R.I.P.). She often spins her Bad picture disc, cranking up “Man In The Mirror,” her cat’s favorite song. Her favorite possessions are her Wu-Tang earrings, her Fela vinyl, her Punky Brewster DVD collection, and her Jeffrey Campbell ankle boots. She once won a bet with ?uestlove by holding 50 popsicle sticks in her mouth for 5 minutes. It wasn’t fun. Fashion icons include Bea Arthur, Grace Jones, and Wendy & Lisa.
vanessa-withoutborders.jpg

CO-PRESIDENT
VANESSA “WITHOUT BORDERS” WRUBLE
Vanessa Wruble is always looking for an excuse to set up residency in the tropics, which is how she ended up living in Sierra Leone and writing commonsensical books about Gabon, Sao Tome, Equatorial Guinea, and Nigeria. Quite accidentally she’s in the top 1 percentile of all the people on earth for knowing the mostest about Fela Kuti. Constantly suffering from FOMO, she knew she needed to be on the forefront of all that’s happening in African youth and subculture, and now she is.
http://www.okayafrica.com/about/team/

10 YEARS AND COUNTING

African Ancestry is a company that helps transform the way people view themselves and the way they view Africa!

Founded in 2003 by Dr. Rick Kittles and Gina Paige, African Ancestry is the world leader in tracing maternal and paternal lineages of African descent having helped more than 150,000 people re-connect with the roots of their family tree.

Most companies can only tell you what continent you originated from, but not what country. With the industry’s largest and most comprehensive database of over 30,000 indigenous African samples, African Ancestry determines specific countries and—more often than not—specific ethnic groups of origin with an unrivaled level of detail, accuracy and confidence.

African Ancestry is committed to providing a unique service to the black community by working daily to improve the cultural, emotional, physical, spiritual and economic wellbeing of people across the African Diaspora.

THE FOUNDERS
ginapaige.png

GINA PAIGE
PRESIDENT, AFRICAN ANCESTRY, INC.

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: NIGERIA
Prior to creating African Ancestry, Paige was the founder and president of GPG Strategic Resources, a boutique New York consulting firm specializing in strategy development, new product development and project management. With her signature entrepreneurial approach, some of the nation’s leading blue-chip companies benefited from her leadership and management skills for improved profitability. Sara Lee and Colgate-Palmolive are among the Fortune 200 companies she has contributed her considerable talents to.

Paige resides in Washington, D.C. and holds a degree in Economics from Stanford University and an MBA from the University Of Michigan Ross School Of Business.

drkickkittles.png

RICK KITTLES, PH.D.
SCIENTIFIC DIRECTOR, AFRICAN ANCESTRY, INC.
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO, DEPARTMENT OF MEDICINE

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: NIGERIA
Rick Kittles received a Ph.D. in Biological Sciences from George Washington University in 1998. Dr. Kittles is well known for his research on prostate cancer and health disparities among African Americans. He has also been at the forefront of the development of ancestry-informative genetic markers, and the use of genetic ancestry to map genes for common traits and disease. Currently, Dr. Kittles is an Associate Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Associate Director of the Cancer Center, and Director of the Institute of Human Genetics at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Dr. Kittles was named in Ebony magazine’s “The Ebony Power 100.” Ebony selected the nation's top 100 African-American "power players" in sports, academia, religion, business, environment, science & tech, entertainment, arts and letters, fashion, politics, media, activism and health.

http://www.africanancestry.com/our-story/

A Genetic Link to Identity: Dr. Bruce Jackson And the Roots Project

While the main goal is to connect individuals with their ancestry, the research has yielded some interesting new information about African-Americans, and Africans as a whole, that Jackson says will be used to change misinformation reported in textbooks.

"We are surprised that our data is indicating that African-Americans did not come from West Africa, which is what they think. They came from Central Africa—from the interior," he said.

Recently, the project teamed up with black historians in Portsmouth, New Hampshire to test mysterious remains discovered last fall by construction workers. Through the DNA analysis, they confirmed what historians had suspected: the 300 year-old remains were indeed African. Jackson says that it was their most exciting discovery yet, and they found a new African genetic marker.

http://www.bu.edu/com/co201mag/winners/roots.html

Starting this thread to see if someone in the community has submitted their DNA for testing to trace their roots back to their ancestors and what was the outcome.

Ericka Badu testing experience:
http://www.okayafrica.com/2014/05/20/erykah-badu-family-history-african-ancestry/

Debate on the legitimacy of DNA testing:
http://www.africanamerica.org/topic/newsflash-african-ancestry-dna-fraud

Clyde, point taken thanks for your input. I'm raising the b.s. flag on all these groups that I was why I posed the question in the title of the thread. I'm just trying to find my way home and/or establish a connection with my roots. Many of us are lost until establish some type of foundation with our ancestors. Can we just focus on the journey.

Nbedjer

yvw ... Shems Nbedjer,

DNA testing is here to stay, its going nowhere; the only problem is its too expensive for the average black person.

And like anything else, always do the work, your due
diligence, Con Artists are all around us.

Clyde, point taken thanks for your input. I'm raising the b.s. flag on all these groups that I was why I posed the question in the title of the thread. I'm just trying to find my way home and/or establish a connection with my roots. Many of us are lost until establish some type of foundation with our ancestor. Can we just focus on the journey.

Nbedjer

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back