Black People : African Diasporan Relationships: Acknowledging its existence.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, May 17, 2009.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    While scouring through the internet looking for articles and discussions about blacks dating and marrying blacks from different countries I’ve repeatedly come across a finding from Cornell study:

African-Americans are more likely to pair with blacks born outside the United States than with whites….Also newcomers from the West Indies, Africa and Puerto Rico, are more likely to marry within their group or to marry African-Americans rather than interracially, although marriage rates between these two groups remain very low.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/july06/blacks.marry.fac.html

At first I glanced over this finding and continued my search; however, I ultimately had to revisit the statement. It is significant to acknowledge that there are blacks who date and marry blacks from different countries (also that these “intercultural” relationships are more common than other types of alternative marriages in the black community). It is significant because there is little discussion or information about this particular relationship dynamic; however, the reality is that these relationships…..Africans marrying African Americans; African Americans marrying Afro-Caribbeans; Africans marrying Afro-Europeans; Afro-Latinos marrying African American, etc…. these relationships are happening more and more, which makes it worthy of dialog!

Why isn’t there more discussion about the “intercultural relationships” of black people? In most instances I’m sure that the assumption when an African American marriages an African person, or when an African marriages an Afro-Caribbean, is that its just a black person marrying another black person, so what’s the big deal? While it is true that it is a black person marrying another black person, the reality is more complex. For an African American to marry an African (more importantly for such a marriage to be successful), requires a demonstration of understanding cultural differences and adapting to them.

In my readings on this subject: Why some blacks marry blacks from different cultures, and why some could never see themselves doing so. I have come across several comments on forums which have described the inability to adapt to cultural differences as the primary reason. For example I read one Nigerian woman who described her experience dating a “nice african american man”. The gentleman in question broke out in hives the night his African girlfriend decided to prepare an African dinner for him. This episode made her return to dating African men….someone who could appreciate “Her Food”.

To some that a woman would stop seeing a good man because he couldn’t eat her food is trivial. However the reality is that when you are involved with someone from another culture, being able to enjoy and appreciate their native dishes is an important demonstration in cultural adaptation. Fear that an African American would not be able to appreciate the different food; family views/values; music; societal/political beliefs, etc that a black person from another country brings is the primary reason many hesitate to engage in these types of relationships. Ironically these differences in culture (and the potential for the exchange of ideas) is also what makes these intercultural relationships special and important to the black community as a whole. It is also what makes intercultural relationships between blacks from different countries so worthy of discussion!

http://africandiasporanrelationships.ning.com/profiles/blogs/african-diasporan

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,746
    you still alive? good!

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes I'm alive and well. I appreciate the concern.

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    Hey Brother Pan ... :D ... :wave: ... :love:

a sight for sore eyes ... :love:

Welcome Home ...

:heart:

Destee

5. panafrica