Science and Technology : African centered school of science and technology

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by skuderjaymes, Dec 29, 2009.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I'd like to see an African centered school of science and technology that
    removes science from the European scientific aesthetic that seems to focused
    more on destruction than anything else..

If ever any group needed to have its own community supported DNA lab,
    it's us. If ever any group needed to have a team of people dedicated to
    figuring new ways to mitigate the effects of white supremacy, it's us..

and, as Decipher alluded to in another thread, fighting this fight purely in the
    social realm is an incomplete strategy. If you look around this site and others
    you will see, the overwhelming focus is on how europeans have tried to keep
    us in the dark about our past.. and I agree.. but, they are also attempting to
    keep us in the dark about the present.. scientific knowledge belongs to all of
    us.. and every revelation is the result of some work that was done before..
    each concept is built on top of another concept.. and all great cultures have
    contributed to that pool of knowledge.. including ours..

2. rnojonson

rnojonson Well-Known Member MEMBER

electrical draftsman/pc tech
    Ratings:
    +16
    Timbuktu needs to resurrect

I think that is an interesting thought!! If the original premises, intention, etc, etc, of the same science were channeled and applied through a different people, it would open wholly different perspectives and avenues and reasonings and outcomes of the science based on just necessities. Then expanding that application to building and progress and pushing that practical application down into the lives of everyday people is a mind blowing thought.

I almost hate to spill the beans that it seems the brightest young Euro centered minds (especially Americans) are hell-bent on creating entertainments and amusements and destructions rather than solving serious problems and resolving serious issues.

I saw a doc talking about the legendary (or mythic) Timbuktu University, how many manuscripts still exist and are deteriorating away. The Euro historic and scientific community has no interest in validation, restoration and preservation of that realm.

What you are saying could never happen here but since Africa is basically ignored, it could happen there. I think many who would participate in such a venture might fear gathering since the specter of terrorist camps and plots and Muslim enclaves looms everywhere. It would have to be exclusive on one hand yet be an open door on the other.

I hope that having an African-American president might initiate a link between us and Africa that was severed. Euro-Americans can go back and forth to their places of origin with little fear. We "Black" Americans mostly fear to cross the water the same as when we were brought here. We don't travel so freely, do business so easily, or share knowledge easily with Africans. I personally think diversity is not real inclusion. When you come to the table as an equal, with equal knowledge, science, then you can fully challenge the assumed notions. Then you can tell the other guys what you are doing is not good for us or for you. Now you are talking about power and authority, government boundaries, empires (over time) and the supposed supremacy of a defined race vs the whole of seamless humanity.

Somehow the Timbuktu University and university town needs to resurrect.

3. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

well said..

I was just talking with a friend the other day about the fact that
    the entire academic world is engaged in "research" around products.. not
    progress.. the search for an Oil Alternative is really about finding something
    as profitable as Oil.. the goal is not to replace Oil, it's to replace Oil profits
    with some other kind of Profit scheme.. all the technology already exists
    to replace Oil.. but the profit potential of those technologies is not as great
    as Oil.. So, what many call Science research is really Profit Research.. it's
    all Capitalist business.. And I think their is something wrong with viewing
    nature through Profit / Loss lenses..

4. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
  5. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
  6. RAPTOR

RAPTOR Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,094
    skuderjaymes,

I agree with you.

In large, it is about creating institutions for us by us.

It has to start with creating/building wealth in the community.
    Either create or take over a market that will amass significant capital.

Once we start creating wealth in the community, then we can use the wealth
    gained to start up and maintain the institutions needed to jettison us
    into the atmosphere of prosperity and opportunity, without having to rely on the
    funds of outsiders.

If we rely on outsiders money, then they will essentially own our institutions.
    Not only that but control the curriculum as well.

7. rnojonson

rnojonson Well-Known Member MEMBER

electrical draftsman/pc tech
    Ratings:
    +16
    instant two shuns

careful, careful

we can't have thoughts of creating a country within a country without inviting watchful eyes and infiltrators and ones who join with the purpose of watering things down or radicalizing.

I read about Tulsa Oklahoma, 1921 and Rosewood Florida, 1923 and Elaine Arkansas, 1919

I know the times are different today but some of the notions still exists, 90 years later.

In creating wealth within our community we have to think beyond charity work, non-profits and talk about generating capital. Businesses that make goods and offer reasonable services and employment right in our areas. We didn't have the benefit of immigrant communities, but we need to appropriate some of those strategies and mind sets. It is not so much getting higher education but using the education we have, It is not saving every penny but rather directed spending. Then consider the cost of extreme upgrades to both our physical surroundings and how we carry/display ourselves. These things take sustained effort and purposeful commitment so that it becomes a part of what is transfered to the next generation.

We have too much capitalist training and not enough wealth sharing in our beings. Perhaps we should call it wealth shifting and redirecting. We have talked too much about building community but as soon as we are successful, we move to the neighborhood where other successful are living and enjoying their wealth unhindered. We have the nerve to visit the old neighborhood we left behind (nothing changed, improved, no else has escaped, like me!).

In todays economy, I am too needy to share. I have a personal deficit to overcome but I am willing to add my energy in a mutually benefiting enterprise. Could be just a job or developing some idea with the hope of employing others. Talk can be so virtual, but eventually you have to put actual bodies on the ground, stay there and do the work. Seeds have to be buried for them to sprout and grow. And they grow fruit where they are planted.

My dad joined one of these efforts when I was young, a community supported and black owned rubber parts plant. The front office folks partied and business lunched and padded the presentation of the office. Eventually the energy put into the show swallowed and made the grunt of actual work less important. Dad was out of work because the business folded due to an ego inflammation.

We keep trying to mimic the American dream of individual people being successful, making a name for themselves, a place in history. These people did not make it on their own. They needed many, many people who were successful in their own rights, their own jobs. We keep crying for leaders, I say groom workers and let the best of the workers lead with experience, insight and empathy.

Sorry for my ranting and rambling on.

8. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043

I agree completely.

9. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I couldn't agree more......

10. Corvo

Corvo navigator of live MEMBER

United States
    Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    We are looking too much for leadership. We need to get together with out leaders. Do the work with out them. make things happen. We have adapted this White thing as if we have to be lead. No Man! we just get together, Two or Three, make a plan and start.