Black People : 'AFRICAN BORN AGAIN' White art director gets grant intended for ‘people of colour’

OldSoul

Permanent Black Man
PREMIUM MEMBER
May 16, 2002
Bronzeville USA
www.BLACKLAND.ORG
Occupation
Staying Alive
'AFRICAN BORN AGAIN'
White art director awarded chunk of £400k grant
intended for ‘people of colour’ after adopting black identity

Anthony Ekundayo Lennon, who describes himself as "African born again", struggled to find roles early in his acting career so chose a new persona. He has since benefited from taxpayer support to aid his development as a black, Asian and minority ethnic (Bame) leader in the arts, the Sunday Times reported.
Last year he was named as one of four "theatre practitioners of colour" awarded a £406,500 grant from Arts Council England as part of a two-year residential traineeship. One black actor said: “When I discovered his background I thought it was unfair that a white man had taken a black person’s place on a Bame scheme.” Lennon was actually born Anthony David Lennon in Paddington, west London, in 1965 to white Irish parents, according to the book Photo ID.
But his curly hair set off jibes in the street from people who thought he was mixed race and he started to wear a Rastafarian hat. He soon discovered a passion for acting and was "shoved in a minibus" by his mother and taken to the Cockpit Theatre in west London.
As he got older, Lennon struggled to get the white parts but soon found success with groups like the Black Theatre Forum. It was then that he decided to fully adopt a new identity and chose a name from an African book - Taharka Ekundayo. Taharka is the name of an Egyptian pharaoh and Ekundayo means "weeping becomes joy".
He wrote in Photo ID: “I was at a stage in my life where to address myself as Anthony Lennon did not fulfill me; it didn’t seem to allow me to express myself as I saw fit. “Some people call themselves a born-again Christian. Some people call me a born-again African. I prefer to call myself an African born again.” He told an audience in 2012: “Although I’m white, with white parents, I have gone through the struggles of a black man, a black actor.”
After receiving the Bame funding, Lennon started as trainee artistic director at Talawa, a black-led theatre company in Shoreditch, east London. The scheme was advertised as “open to people of colour” and Lennon applied as a “mixed heritage individual”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/76546...nthony-ekundayo-lennon-adopts-black-identity/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Pan-Africanism : Tensions Increase Between US-Born African Americans and Black Immigrants Pan-Africanism - African Diaspora 43
Senegal Black People : My African American.... Black People Open Forum 2
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : African Esquire TV Black People Politics 8
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Genetic impact of African slave trade revealed in DNA study African American History Culture 1
One-Hundredd African American History Culture : REAWAKENING THE AFRICAN MIND African American History Culture 4
HODEE Law Forum : Chances of African Americans ( LIFE ) Historically have been Shaped by Race. Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Orisons Black People : African Doctor's Corona Virus Cure! Black People Open Forum 10
Hamma Africa : excerpt from sacredtexts.com under the African (religion,myth section found there) All Things Africa 5
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : The African slave who taught America how to vaccinate itself from smallpox Black People Doing Positive Things 2
U Africa : East African Anthem translation All Things Africa 0
S Health and Wellness : Corona Virus more prevalent among African Americans? Really? Black Health and Wellness 7
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : 10 African Countries Have No Ventilators. That's Only Part of the Problem All Things Africa 5
Mekki ELMOGRABI Africa : Are SMEs the drive chain that moving African Economy? By Mekki ELMOGRABI All Things Africa 3
One-Hundredd African Traditional Religion : African Origins Of Freemasonry African Traditional Religion Study Group 0
OldSoul Black People : QUEEN SONO Official Trailer (2020) South African crime drama web television series Black People Open Forum 0
Azacotogan Black Spirituality Religion : Salawa (Karma) and its ramifications for African people according to Vodun part two Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
frankster Science and Technology : African Skin resist Coronavirus ...or a novel form of Racism/misinformation campaign Science and Technology 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : First 24-hour news channel "by and for" African Americans set to launch during Black History Month Black People Doing Positive Things 8
Al D Africa : Torture In Africa by African Security Forces All Things Africa 0
OldSoul Black People : Birthright AFRICA offers free trips to Africa for youth and young adults of African descent Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Next U.S. Navy aircraft carrier to be named after African American Pearl Harbor hero African American History Culture 3
Al D Africa : African Rapper (Akon) Building Empire and His Own City in Africa All Things Africa 0
One-Hundredd Egypt : Stolen Legacy (1988 documentary) of African History and footage in Egypt Egypt 4
OldSoul Black People : Former Ghana President Rawlings "How the West Stole our African Identity" Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Overlooked No More: Bessie Coleman, Pioneering African American Aviatrix Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : US city to pay Reparations to African-American community with tax on marijuana sales Black People Politics 0
Kemetstry Black People : CHILD ABUSE OF AFRICAN CHILDREN BY THE CHINESE Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Ghana : Ghana granted citizenship to over 100 African Americans and Afro-Caribbeans as part of Year of Return Ghana 1
Al D Africa : African artist speaks to life and remembrance in art All Things Africa 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : First African-American FBI agent finally gets recognition Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
imhotep06 Black Spirituality Religion : Reconstructing African Wisdom Traditions Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Al D Black People : African Music (Songs performed by Ringo Madlingozi, The Muffinz, Brenda Fassie & others) Black People Open Forum 91
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Black News Channel Focusing On African American Coverage To Launch In January 2020 Black People Doing Positive Things 0
Al D Africa : An African Song All Things Africa 2
imhotep06 Black Atheists : It's impossible to be an Atheist from an (general) African perspective Atheist Study Group 10
imhotep06 Black People : Toward a Comparative Dictionary of Egyptian and African Languages Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : African migration to the United States is the fastest-rising—in spite of Trump Black People Politics 1
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : African languages are the fastest growing in the United States African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : African migrants are trying to cross North America to make it to Canada. Trump is keeping them in Mexico Black People Politics 0
T African American History Culture : African American Deuteronomy vs. Black Autonomy African American History Culture 18
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Many dermatologists need more training on African American skin and hair Black Health and Wellness 0
Al D Africa : Smart Gas Cooking Seeks to Break African Cities' Dirty Charcoal Habit All Things Africa 1
Charles Thompson Black People : What do think about those ongoing protests to ousher in civilian rule and democracy currently in the African nation of the Sudan? Black People Open Forum 2
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : West African slavery lives on, 400 years after transatlantic trade began African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : Chicago groups work to document African American history African American History Culture 0
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : African American museum founder discovered dead in car trunk African American History Culture 1
A Black Poetry : For african american girls, african girls, and jamaican girls Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 0
Al D Black People : Blood An African Man Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Africa : A “Go Back to Africa” media campaign uses AI to boost African American tourism All Things Africa 16
B South Africa : Feather Headdresses Are African South Africa 5