Black People : African/Black Quote

Kamau47

REGISTERED MEMBER
Dec 6, 2005
Hey family, I need your input on someting.
I'm putting together a tribute dvd for a family member that recently passed away. Now she was a christian woman, and I found her favorite music to add to it, and a nice biblical quote for the beginning. But at the end, I'm adding a quote that will be either a poem from a black author, or an African proverb.
I've researched different places on the web, but since I know there is a endless source of knowledge and information from my family here, I thought I'd try to tap into it.
Also, even if the author is unknown, that is acceptable as well, as I've already come acros a lot of unknown authors.
So please just give me your ideas & thoughts. And in advance.......Thanks.

Hey family, I need your input on someting.
I'm putting together a tribute dvd for a family member that recently passed away. Now she was a christian woman, and I found her favorite music to add to it, and a nice biblical quote for the beginning. But at the end, I'm adding a quote that will be either a poem from a black author, or an African proverb.
I've researched different places on the web, but since I know there is a endless source of knowledge and information from my family here, I thought I'd try to tap into it.
Also, even if the author is unknown, that is acceptable as well, as I've already come acros a lot of unknown authors.
So please just give me your ideas & thoughts. And in advance.......Thanks.

It would help if you gave some insight into what kind of poem or African proverb you're looking for....like speaking to what?...like honoring what in this family member?

Other than telling us she was Christian, we don't know anything else about her. ....like how old was she?....mother/grandmother?...Her impacts and accomplishments in life?....her strength?...her devotion to others?...etc...

You personally knew this woman. So, you know what kind of poem/proverb would speak to and resonate with her life.

But, the rest of us don't know her life's path like you do.

Sorry for the delay in getting back. Been a unique kind of month for me.
I'm not looking for anything about her being a christian, as that was covered in the beginning of the dvd.
Marie (was known as May-ree) was a woman who lived her life thinking of others. No matter what problems it may have caused her, she never failed to help a family member when they needed it. Not only that, she met any adversity with a smile. I can honestly say that in the 13 years I was honored to know her, I can remember only a coupe times when I didn't see her smiling when all others around her were crying or sad. She left behind 80 grandchildren and 32 great grandchildren, and I will dare to say she had a hand in raising 90% of them all. Sometimes there would be so countless children at her home, I would think that this woman would surely break. She did not. She remained strong, and would know where each of them would be all the time. She'd be outside in the yard in her favorite lawn chair just enjoying them and watching over them, whil they did their thing.
She was best known though, when her husband was alive, to go fishing. They would both walk down to the river, which they lived about 2 miles from. Into their late 70's, they would walk down there with their poles, bucket and chairs. They would speak to anyone who wanted to chat, but also would not bother you if you didn't want to be bothered.Even after his death, she continued to walk, though not fishing. She walked to the store 5 blocks away though it would take her nearly an hour to do so. But she did it until her legs just couldn't do it anymore. Sometimes, she would do it on the arms of someone willing to walk with her, but she wouldn't stop until physically she just couldn't do it anymore. And even then, you'd have to take her arm to go with her because she wouldn't ask for help. If you asked her, she'd tell you she was fine and keep on going. You would have to tell her that you'd just walk with ehr then, and sh'd then take your arm for help.
But May-ree was an exceptional woman to me. I watched her bury family member after family member, watch her friends around her die, and yet she never showed any signs of worrying about death. I have told people for years that when her time comes, I just know that she won't have a worry in the world on her mind and in her heart. She just met every challange with a smile, and joy in her heart. She had strong faith too that I can honestly say never faultered. Most people that call themselves christians are only "good days" christians, or "sunday" christians. But she wasn't. She was one woman who I always saw keep her faith, and I never saw her deny it or shy away from it.
So I guess that if I had to describe her in a word, that would be "strength". Physically, she was a frail woman, but I would never say she was a weak woman.

So if I am looking for something, I guess that's what I'm looking for. Because I know our history, I want something of our ancestors to speak through her, about her. I want some of their words to say something that has some sort of meaning to those who watch it. I'm not a writer, and I'm having a hard time expressing my thoughts on this, and for that I apologize. But I can feel it. Pictures are what I'm good at, as I've been taking them since 9th grade, and why the family came to me to put this together.So if you all can unscramble my ramblings and get the gist of what I'm trying to say, I hope you can help me out.
Thanks.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back