Black Travel : "African Americans" In Africa

Discussion in 'Black Travel' started by UBNaturally, May 19, 2015.

1. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Considering a trip to "Africa", to visit or to reside?
    Here is some commentary from a sister that shares her experience via a semi-journal video blog of sorts.

http://ancestrallyyours.tumblr.com

Video Link: My Path to Namibia

Video Link: The Reasoning

Video Link: Shopping in Namibia

Have yet to visit myself, for the fact that if I go I would probably not return to the "States", and too many loose ends to leave hanging at the moment.

Came close to checking out Ghana when they were selling land "for cheap", until I researched to find claims that the land had been allegedly taken from local civilians in some sort of dispute.

Never thought of many other countries and the similarities versus the differences, so these vblogs are potentially motivational and helpful when it comes to deciding which country to call home.

May try to locate others vblogs similar to this, and share if possible.

2. rapchild

rapchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Ratings:
    +209
  3. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Here is a vblog of The Gambia

Video Link:
    The Gambia - Trip to The Smiling Coast of Africa

Wasn't too keen on this being from a "white" perspective, until I later became appreciative that patience is a virtue.
    The video was surprisingly without alot of propaganda, spin, or sensationalism, and expresses how we as a people are loving and considerate, as long as we don't have a burden of the idea of being oppressed and victimized.

There was once a time when comments from "antagonists" would resemble something to the affect of:

"If you don't like it here, then leave... go back to Africa"

I used to resent and be somewhat disgruntled by these ideas, but as time goes on and the mind expanded into adulthood, these ideas begin to make more sense each day.

If a land (a very very very small land that is in comparison to the open realms of "Ethiopia") does not offer the complete concept of "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness", then what is the purpose of holding on to it?

The fact that "Euro" and "Asian" descent people are investing and locating there slowly, one should wonder...

What the heck are we doing letting them take our places, and we remain content here battling for Oscar Awards???

Let them have the "First Black so and so".

In "Africa", is there such a thing as a first black anything?
    I feel like this is some sort of reverse psychology that the "powers that be" have been impressing upon the many of us.

Image Link:
    True Size of Africa

Will be investing more time into this thread in hopes that this will inspire broader and more exploratory thoughts about land and people of relative peace, kindredness, and energy.

Recall that Richard Pryor, who made "ni***" a common term for anyone watching him on his rise to become a "king of comedy", went to Africa and came back a different man of sorts.

Malik El Shabazz, went and came back a different man of sorts, even desired to create a link towards the "African" continent in order to help empower African Americans in the States.

Was Malik shut down because he was potentially about to create an alliance with Martin to bridge the gap between African Americans and Africa, and create a power structure that would put Black America on a path of true liberation and true nation hood?

Have an associate that went to Africa with their students, and came back with a new sense of vigor and wanted to do more, but didn't have the resources here in the "States".

Here, we are bound not by chains anymore, but by the limitation of resources and the lack of control over them.

Time to expand where we look for our resources, and stop begging for milk from the belly of the beast.

4. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    I'm not trying to discourage anybody, but I ran across this story and thought I'd share it. It definitely made me think twice before moving to Ghana, regardless if these two elderly women were in the right or wrong. Trying to convince my mother last week to consider moving to Ghana, then reading this, put knots in my stomach. They even poisoned their dogs because they didn't back down...and you know how much elderly women love their house pets.

Again, not trying to discourage anyone, but it's best to know the customs, the laws, the scams, etc... These two sisters went over there thinking they were going home to their roots. It appears their U.S. pensions afforded them to live affluent-like over there, and the locals didn't like it. There may be more to this story I don't know about, but these two women still didn't deserve to be slain , especially when they were following the Ghana legal system.

Detroit activist, 75, and her sister slain in Ghana

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...-native-detroit-sisters-slain-ghana/70980666/

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • True True x 1
    • List
  5. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I wonder if the fact that she was a "transplant" that they didn't see her the same way as if she was born there. I've been to several countries in Africa, and it's like here in a way. Your black skin does not protect you. I ran into hate just as I did here, which was a shock to me being black and in Africa.

All in all...it is a nice place to go. You can, and do get killed anywhere you go.

Peace!

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  6. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736

This was what I was getting at about the land grab that was occurring in Ghana about 8 or so years ago.
    Was almost eager to jump on it, but thought it may have been too good to be genuine.

After researching, I came to find out that some of the land was "repossessed" and taken away from the locals in order to sell it to foreign investors or settlers.

That was not how I would have wanted to enter into a land of distant relatives.

Let Ghana settle their internal conflicts with land issues, before going in and trying to settle onto someone else's land/property.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Removing Ghana from the itinerary doesn't mean it cannot be revisited later, but here is the list of options or alternatives. One supposed "bad apple" doesn't spoil the bunch.

1. Algeria ??
    2. Angola @
    3. Benin
    4. Botswana
    5. Burkina Faso ???
    6. Burundi
    7. Cabo Verde
    8. Cameroon
    9. Central African Republic
    10. Chad
    11. Comoros
    12. Congo, Republic of the
    13. Congo, Democratic Republic of the
    14. Cote d'Ivoire
    15. Djibouti
    16. Egypt ???
    17. Equatorial Guinea
    18. Eritrea
    19. Ethiopia
    20. Gabon
    21. Gambia ✓
    22. Ghana ??
    23. Guinea
    24. Guinea-Bissau
    25. Kenya ?
    26. Lesotho
    27. Liberia
    28. Libya ???
    29. Madagascar
    30. Malawi
    31. Mali
    32. Mauritania
    33. Mauritius
    34. Morocco
    35. Mozambique
    36. Namibia ✓
    37. Niger
    38. Nigeria
    39. Rwanda ???
    40. Sao Tome and Principe
    41. Senegal
    42. Seychelles
    43. Sierra Leone
    44. Somalia
    45. South Africa
    46. South Sudan
    47. Sudan
    48. Swaziland
    49. Tanzania
    50. Togo
    51. Tunisia
    52. Uganda
    53. Zambia
    54. Zimbabwe

There are 54 countries in the continent of "Africa", 55 if we include Palestine/Israel

The ??? represent countries with notable circumstances that should be observed and government conflicts.
    The ✓ represent countries that have been represented in a positive light.
    The @ represent the need for more information, if anyone has information or comments, feel free to add them.

Will continue to share when I come across information that may be positive (or negative) from a personal context and not from marketing agencies that desire tourist investments.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  8. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    Video Link:
    African-American Students Visit Cameroon

I can imagine Umar Johnson setting up visits and trips like this for his students, hopefully.

Take a look at a contrasting report from parts of Cameroon

Video Link:
    Fighting for their Forests

If someone cuts down a tree in your backyard, and you continue to yell "STOP!" and they do not, are you justified in killing them?

Because damm if this wouldn't have been some black on black violence going on here, that would have lead to a coupe. But is a tree really worth fighting for at the end of the day?

Have to pick our battles wisely and strategically, even when the puppet masters try to sneak and grab resources that they have to drive a ship in to steal.

This is another reason why nations are needed, and nations that are reformed by the small village, townships, etc in which the people have the power, and not the government overseers.

9. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    I had a feeling this was the case and had the same thought. She hasn't been over there long enough to know the ways, or the history. I wonder if she was informed about this before she went over there?

Thanks for posting this.

Peace!

10. KPITRL

KPITRL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +384
    To be honest, I think it was more to this than two elderly ladies just wanting to bye some property to live on. The more I look at the background of the 75 year-old, the more I think those locals wanted them out for more reason than the property. Based on what I know about West Africans, you don't want to go over there and implant any of your Western ways into their country. I really believe that's what those locals were accusing them of doing. Then since she wasn't married into any of the families over there, they probably felt threatened, thinking she was setting some anti-family trend, meanwhile gaining too many resources, and brainwashing the young locals. It appears she had a little influence over there.

Anyway, that's my gut feeling. I just can't see nobody beating two elder lady ladies to death because they had a piece of property that looked prettier. I know we as Blacks have some serious jealousy issues across the world, but like I said, I think this was a little deeper than some land. But it was no excuse to murder however. And I'd still think twice before relocating there.

Last edited: May 30, 2015