Black Spirituality Religion : African Americans, founders of the Pentecostal movement.

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Aluku, May 23, 2012.

1. Aluku

Aluku Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

African American preachers are considered the most important figures in the Pentecostal movement in America and by extension the world.

Elder William J. Seymour
    [​IMG]

Wiki entry:
    Bishop C. H. Mason
    [​IMG]
    On a side note, the Holy Spirit has no color

:10900:

2. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

It was actually an interesting 'read' until you added your side note. It actually takes away from the informative article's you posted imho.

:peekk:

3. Aluku

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    It is a fact and it is relevant to the context. Pentecostals put emphasis on spiritual aspect of Christianity.

4. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    Have you ever seen the 'spirit' to say that it's a fact that IT has no color? I doubt it.

Is 'jesus' also colorless?

If anything, you should say that pentecostals must BELIEVE certain things about the 'spirit' to be considered pentecostal, but the bible contradicts itself in regards to whether the spirit is just a spirit, or if it's a man which is why i said that you lost me when you said that the spirit has no color.

I enjoyed reading the rest of your post though.

knowledge knowledge

5. Aluku

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    Several things. The first sentence of the post is the key to the context.

Jesus reappeared to his disciples after his resurrection and his disciples didn't recognize him. He appeared on different occasions in different human forms. This means his appearance wasn't the same as his earthly appearance.

6. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    So tell me, what am I supposed to do with this history concerning the Pentecostal Movement when it relates that the white boy taught our brother William Seymour who was attending his classes and that the white boy was a homosexual at that!??

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-apostolic-pentecostal-religion-was-started-380205.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Fox_Parham

7. Aluku

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
  8. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Just in case there is a claim that I used "white resources", I went to the "black history downloads" to find the following which supports what I posted earlier.

There are many people I can honor in the month of February, or any month, for that matter. I chose William J. Seymour. I am sure that not too many people know who this great man was. That is why I am delighted to take you into the past, where this great African American was well known.
    Last April marked the 100th year anniversary of the Azusa Street revival, in Los Angeles, California. Hold that thought for awhile. I want to give you some personal history on William Seymour and then we will go back to Los Angeles.
    Born May 2, 1870, in Centerville, Louisiana, William Seymour was blessed to become part of a freed black family. Later he became a student at Charles Parham's Bible School in Houston, Texas. That was in 1905. There he became a believer in speaking in tongues. Because of that belief he had to leave the parish where he was assigned to preach. That is when he moved to L.A. We will get there in a moment.
    Now I want to slip this in here before we move on. I too am a believer in speaking in tongues. I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost while I was at home. I knew this because, according to the Holy Bible, when you receive the Holy Ghost you will in fact speak in tongues. That is in a heavenly language, known to God. Make reference of this throughout the Book of Acts, the Holy Bible.
    Seymour found an old building on Azusa Street, where he began sharing his beliefs and experience. This man lifted two very important barriers of not only Christianity but race and sex. He is the first t

http://voices.yahoo.com/william-j-seymour-black-history-month-tribute-807171.html?cat=37

9. Keita Kenyatta

Ratings:
    +3,382
    My point was: How in the hell is a white boy gonna teach a brother about God or the spiritual nature of anything? This therefore makes Brother Seymour nothing more than a parrot of the teachings of the white boy that we once again have gravitated to, lock, stock and barrel.

10. Aluku

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    So I'm to assume that Brother Seymour was a robot who couldn't think for himself? And I should believe that because...?