Pan-Africanism : AFRICAN AMERICANS DO YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR CULTURE???

Isaiah said:
Is our culture a thing of importance enough to study and discuss??? I think that this is attributable to having come up in a society and educational environment that devalues and de-emphasizes our myriad contributions to it's culture...

Ironically, I don't believe this an indication of a lack of pride about the culture, as much as an inability to define what it is in the first place... I was kind of hoping this forum would be an entre into that area... Does anyone have any ideas as to why this has failed to happen? How can I or anyone so concerned, bring more excitement to this forum, and excitement that compells African Americans to want to dive into the beauty that is our culture? Can someone help me out with question?

Peace!
Isaiah

Orisons:
Many African Americans are still trapped in their alleged BLACKNESS [whereas I can tell from your post that you very obviously are not], as opposed to the spiritual and intellectual boost you have gained from reconnecting to our African roots.

Obviously due to Slavery’s legacy Africans in the Diaspora can rarely be specific as to which African culture we belonged to which is literally a blessing in disguise because they all need our help.

Just our using the word Black to describe ourselves is a not so subtle form of self-abuse, due to all the doom and gloom attached to it from this cultural perspective [which is currently ours as well].

I’ve asked many posters other forums why they insist on using the word Black when what they are actually describing is our African ethnicity as opposed to culture or nationality.

Black apart from being consistently inaccurate [there are hundreds of millions of brown/black skinned Indians who are not of African ethnicity] is also consistently used within European cultures as a disparaging term, i.e. Black Day, The Black Death, Black Magic, Blackmail, Blackout etc whereas no one says African Day, Africanmail, Africanout, which is why African is preferable to Black on every level.

Language is the operating system for the Brain just like WINDOWS is for computers which is why our African ancestors were strategically separated from their names, language, culture and history so that we would become confused AUTOMATONS, as graphically highlighted by some of the garbage posted by some of the characters I have encountered on the Internet.

For what it is worth I am very much interested in our culture, i read and post on other boards i am new here, Our culture is rich seeing that we are the original people, and developed civilization and science of value things which were stolen from us. Ourstory which has been hiiden from us. we have been taught lies from History. and made to assimulate into european thought, but the Anscestors are speaking loudly and some of us are beginning to hear them, they are rising up within us that we may be the people we are destined to be, I read somewhere and I may not quote exactly so i will call this a paraphrase It went like this until we return to our African Gods we will not be free. I am studying African Spirituality, and there is much to learn Our culture is really a spiritual one to be African is to be spiritual to know your Gods Ori Orisha Odulamare
Peace Kwaku

Orisons said:
Orisons:
Many African Americans are still trapped in their alleged BLACKNESS [whereas I can tell from your post that you very obviously are not], as opposed to the spiritual and intellectual boost you have gained from reconnecting to our African roots.

Obviously due to Slavery’s legacy Africans in the Diaspora can rarely be specific as to which African culture we belonged to which is literally a blessing in disguise because they all need our help.

Just our using the word Black to describe ourselves is a not so subtle form of self-abuse, due to all the doom and gloom attached to it from this cultural perspective [which is currently ours as well].

I’ve asked many posters other forums why they insist on using the word Black when what they are actually describing is our African ethnicity as opposed to culture or nationality.

Black apart from being consistently inaccurate [there are hundreds of millions of brown/black skinned Indians who are not of African ethnicity] is also consistently used within European cultures as a disparaging term, i.e. Black Day, The Black Death, Black Magic, Blackmail, Blackout etc whereas no one says African Day, Africanmail, Africanout, which is why African is preferable to Black on every level.

Language is the operating system for the Brain just like WINDOWS is for computers which is why our African ancestors were strategically separated from their names, language, culture and history so that we would become confused AUTOMATONS, as graphically highlighted by some of the garbage posted by some of the characters I have encountered on the Internet.

Orison and Bandele, great posts!

Interesting to see Unforgiveable Blackness the other night, and see an aspect of African American lore and legend, the Stagolee figure, in Jack Johnson...(smile!) That's an aspect of our culture that is often overlooked(the Bad Assed Man or Woman), but is as important as a representative of whom we are as the more heroic messianic leader... It was interesting to see the WHITES in Jack Johnson's entourage worship and hold the brother in awe... Very interesting...

Peace
Isaiah

Hotep brothers it is a powerful discussion and I do feel the sincerity in everyone here and the page that we are all on I dont know if anyone here has read the book by Anthony Browder called " The Nile Valley Contributions To Civilization" it is so powerful I had to read it Three times, but it is on the level of this discussion. and also Check out Black Liberation Radio at wblr.com.
Hotep

Nat Turner said:
Hotep brothers it is a powerful discussion and I do feel the sincerity in everyone here and the page that we are all on I dont know if anyone here has read the book by Anthony Browder called " The Nile Valley Contributions To Civilization" it is so powerful I had to read it Three times, but it is on the level of this discussion. and also Check out Black Liberation Radio at wblr.com.
Hotep
Yes, it is a wonderful book. I have several in my library. We use it as a resource in our Saturday African History school here in Boston.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back