Black History Culture : AFRICAN AMERICANS DO YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR CULTURE???

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by Isaiah, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Is our culture a thing of importance enough to study and discuss??? Has your parents, siblings, relatives, and mentors taken the time to discuss with, and teach you the meaning and importance of culture, or were they like many us, without a clue as to what it is, much less how important it is to know and understand???

Based on what I have seen of the contributions and reviews of this particular forum, again, I must say that it appears that we are a people completely unconcerned with this very important aspect of ourselves... I think that this is attributable to having come up in a society and educational environment that devalues and de-emphasizes our myriad contributions to it's culture...

Ironically, I don't believe this an indication of a lack of pride about the culture, as much as an inability to define what it is in the first place... I was kind of hoping this forum would be an entre into that area... Does anyone have any ideas as to why this has failed to happen? How can I or anyone so concerned, bring more excitement to this forum, and excitement that compells African Americans to want to dive into the beauty that is our culture? Can someone help me out with question?

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I have a few answers, stay tuned

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    DELETED BY AUTHOR

4. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Cedric, all due respect, "showing" how much you care on a discussion forum would take on a different tone and meaning since one cannot "show" much beyond their writting and contributing to the forum... If by asking questions, or bringing information to this forum for discussion is a manner of showing one cares, then I understand... If by reading, and never venturing to ask "who, what, when, where, and why", then I cannot accept that as showing anything... (smile!)

Of course, I'm not omniscient... I don't see and know all, but I do have intuition, and eyes, and they tell me that folks have more important things on their minds, like Shaq and Kobe's cold hug and center court... That's cool, too, but ****, I'd like to see more balance in our world view... Right now, I think we're are titillated by everything but what should really matter to us...

The importance of African/African American culture is that with the wealth it has created for those who truly understand it's importance, Cedric, Africans and Afrcan Americans should not one of us be living in ghettoes and slums... If we took it as seriously as they do, we'd never have to worry a day in our lives about dollars and cents... I don't think we will ever see the day when we understand it in that context... Maybe that's not all bad, I guess???

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Well we all know that we can only do so much over the computer. What would you like us to do to show that we care? We engage in many discussions, like I said though, hopefully we are getting closer to a solution rather than an argument. The toughest thing about doing something as a group is everyone having different opinions and ideas, which happens alot here on Destee. So for example, when you started this thread, were you looking to solve anything? Because I would be interested. I'm for anything that brings Black folks together, because I think it is that important.

I understand fully that we created the Universe; After all, the first People in the Universe were Black folks! Furthermore, we achieved many other things, but we do not get any appreciation for it, that is why I act how I act towards other people. For example, I was in Miami this weekend, and I walked around Overtown (a black neighborhood) and seen all those homeless people sleeping on the street, and 96% of them were black! Is that how they thank us for all we do?

MK

6. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +601
    Orisons:
    Many African Americans are still trapped in their alleged BLACKNESS [whereas I can tell from your post that you very obviously are not], as opposed to the spiritual and intellectual boost you have gained from reconnecting to our African roots.

Obviously due to Slavery’s legacy Africans in the Diaspora can rarely be specific as to which African culture we belonged to which is literally a blessing in disguise because they all need our help.

Just our using the word Black to describe ourselves is a not so subtle form of self-abuse, due to all the doom and gloom attached to it from this cultural perspective [which is currently ours as well].

I’ve asked many posters other forums why they insist on using the word Black when what they are actually describing is our African ethnicity as opposed to culture or nationality.

Black apart from being consistently inaccurate [there are hundreds of millions of brown/black skinned Indians who are not of African ethnicity] is also consistently used within European cultures as a disparaging term, i.e. Black Day, The Black Death, Black Magic, Blackmail, Blackout etc whereas no one says African Day, Africanmail, Africanout, which is why African is preferable to Black on every level.

Language is the operating system for the Brain just like WINDOWS is for computers which is why our African ancestors were strategically separated from their names, language, culture and history so that we would become confused AUTOMATONS, as graphically highlighted by some of the garbage posted by some of the characters I have encountered on the Internet.

7. Kwaku Bendele

Kwaku Bendele Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    For what it is worth I am very much interested in our culture, i read and post on other boards i am new here, Our culture is rich seeing that we are the original people, and developed civilization and science of value things which were stolen from us. Ourstory which has been hiiden from us. we have been taught lies from History. and made to assimulate into european thought, but the Anscestors are speaking loudly and some of us are beginning to hear them, they are rising up within us that we may be the people we are destined to be, I read somewhere and I may not quote exactly so i will call this a paraphrase It went like this until we return to our African Gods we will not be free. I am studying African Spirituality, and there is much to learn Our culture is really a spiritual one to be African is to be spiritual to know your Gods Ori Orisha Odulamare
    Peace Kwaku

8. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Orison and Bandele, great posts!

Interesting to see Unforgiveable Blackness the other night, and see an aspect of African American lore and legend, the Stagolee figure, in Jack Johnson...(smile!) That's an aspect of our culture that is often overlooked(the Bad Assed Man or Woman), but is as important as a representative of whom we are as the more heroic messianic leader... It was interesting to see the WHITES in Jack Johnson's entourage worship and hold the brother in awe... Very interesting...

Peace
    Isaiah

9. Nat Turner

Nat Turner Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Hotep brothers it is a powerful discussion and I do feel the sincerity in everyone here and the page that we are all on I dont know if anyone here has read the book by Anthony Browder called " The Nile Valley Contributions To Civilization" it is so powerful I had to read it Three times, but it is on the level of this discussion. and also Check out Black Liberation Radio at wblr.com.
    Hotep

10. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes, it is a wonderful book. I have several in my library. We use it as a resource in our Saturday African History school here in Boston.