Black People : AFRICAN AMERICANS BACK TO AFRICA.

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by ibrahim, Sep 22, 2005.

1. ibrahim

ibrahim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ghana
    Student
    Ratings:
    +122
    Asuming i was an African American and imagine if all African Americans were sent back to Africa ( pick your region). Would we be accepted, would we be able to resolve some of the problems facing the region we were sent too, or would we just make their problems worst?

2. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    This question is the epitome of the Liberian conflict a little over a century ago--one that has remained perpetual.

Going back to Africa requires not just a geographical transfer, but also a psychological one as well.

When the white man let us go back to Africa a century ago, he did not prepare us on any level, for the journey or the arrival home. Just like he did not prepare us for life as an emancipated Slave in a society that he created.

The white man never really fixes problems that he creates, as it is not his intention to do so (doing that would mean for him to admit that he was wrong--never that).

In my mind's eye, the white man sending us back to Africa was not only a lithmus test, but also a cautionary act, in which he showed those with a "Pan-Africanist" mentality during that time, what would happen if we try to "go back home". He has been laughing at us ever since.

Times are progessively different now though, and we have more than sufficient means of preparing ourselves for the journey, should we WILLINGLY be will to embark upon it.

PEACE

3. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    worse - be trying to westernize it. industrialize it. business it. much worse!!

"back to Africa" should not be considered a physical event. but that just seems to get so lost in this westernization that these poor "african americans" keep twistin themselves up in!

if/when these "african americans" wake up and return to being Africans, they will find that We Are HOME! anywhere; everywhere we are on Mother Earth. ("oh, but the white man this" and "the white man that" ... smh ... "if" ...)

big concept in such few letters!!! "if" ... for some reason, this one seems to overshadow the important one: IS. "if" they get to this one; they'll have found the big one along the way:
    RA!

4. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Is it okay if I say I disagree Mr. anAfrican? Where did you get that concept from? My thought process is really easy to understand. Why can't we do to and for Africa what we did for these white people in America? Our people built this country FOR THEM AND WE GOT AND GET NOTHING BUT HELL IN RETURN.

So why can't we do it there among our own people who are in need and would welcolm the aid of our education, our economics, our science know how and technological know how and health know how...ect, ect ? Why can't we go home and know that the land we are cultivating and extracting natural resources from are for US AS A PEOPLE ?

I'll tell you why. Why do we love white people? Because they do nothing for us, that's why. That answer may have gone over your head but I understand it totally. I have two dogs here. I do absolutely nothing for them but they love me more than everyone in the house. I don't even feed their behinds. When I saw and recognized this about my dogs, it reminded me of us as a people as it relates to white people and America...and yes, you are an example by testamony.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Brother Ibrahim...

If WE went back to the Motherland as we are presently anchored psychologically, it would be a total mess...

Even If we sent a "talented tenth" to the Motherland, it would result in a mess, as there would be too much ego... And there would be, as in Liberia, an internecine rivalry between us transplanted and indigenous Africans for sure...

WE would, as a collective, have to get our heads on straight spiritually, mentally, and emotionally - as in debriefing or reprogamming ourselves to deal with all of the exigencies of our new environment... WE have not, even here, with it's many advantages, seized upon all our opportunities ... How are we going to go to the continent, with all of her internal issues, going to immediately prosper there???

=================================

Brother Samurai, it is not for the White Man to repair us, that is OUR JOB... White Man will never seek to "repair" us, as that's not only NOT his job, he loves us as we are(SMILE!)

==================================

Brother AnAfrican, without businesses, how do we create a continent of working individuals who can feed, clothe, and shelter their families??? Please, brother, don't get business confused with CAPITALISM... Africans were engaging in business and trade long before Europeans "invented" ravenous and rapacious and ruthless Capitalist exploitation...

Oh, and I'm sure there was SOME exploitation of Africans on that tip by other Africans - namely those kings who ran around "broadcasting" and "ADVERTISING" just how rich the continent was to all those who later exploited the hell out of us...

====================================

Back to you, brother Ibrahim...

I am of the belief that we Africans need to show and prove that we can get our stuff together in an environment that is "hospitable" to our socio-economc growth... Believe it or not, the United States is hospitable to our economic growth... All you got to know to understand that is to see how much money we spend rather than invest... If we just took a third of the trillion dollars a year we are spending on potato chips, Nike's, hummers, and Hennessey, and invested it in our own banks, businesses, real estate, and schools, we would see incredible improvements in our communities overnight...

Yeah, I know that crackcorns are hostile to 'bout everything we do, and that does include breathin'...(smile!) But, so what, aint no love thang, it's a prosperity thang... We don't need their love, and certainly not their permission, to do what Africans need to do... Build our own, and watch their phony little hate thang subside right quick...

They hate on us because we are so easy to hate on - the poor and dispossessed are EASY to hate on, believe it or not... Build a business or two that employs us and them, and see how willing they are to kiss our Black behinds(smile!)

That includes all of these other folks out here that hate on us, like the Mexican President and the Japanese Prime Minister... Employ a couple of their people in our multinationals, and watch 'em scrape their knees up trying to kiss us where the sun don't shine... That's power, the ability to determine who's gone eat and sleep in their own home, or at the homeless shelter cafeteria... Once we realize THAT as a people, then we can go on over to the local airport, and get our tickets to the MOTHERLAND...

Roll out your little red carpet, West Africa!(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    are you asking me for my permission to disagree with me?? apparently so; "Mr."??? or is that sarcastic "respectful disrespect" that i am detecting an attempt at?
    be their slaves? bust our humps building their country and get nothing but hell in return? why should "we" do that "to" Africa?

well, if "we" had any of that, why aren't "we" doing it? if "we" are "all that and a bag of chips", and "we" aren't doing it here, what makes you think "we'll" do it there? where to you get the idea that they are missing that? the media??! that "Ghanese Brain Drain" thread seems to imply that they got the education and science, but are getting suckered into this westernization nightmare.
    because we can't seem to do that here? because there is no "us as a people"? (petty, i know, but: "... from is for US AS A PEOPLE". the object is "the land" not "natural resources".)

sure, you can feel that that went over my head, if you wish ... sure ... whatever ...
    yeah, i can see your "example by testamony"[sic]: got nothing for ya cause i get nothin from ya ... using dogs as an example? and after all them years of "study"? smh keep seeking, it is out there! maybe all that study has pretty much wiped out what you KNOW?

7. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    truth

it could be that i'm mixing too much "capitalism" into this concept of "business". or it could be the "structure" of "business-as-we-know-it"? "trade" does come a lot closer to where my anti-business stance rests. i feel that "trade" is the exchange of goods and services for mutual benefit; "business" is this dog-eat-dog, take-your's-sell-you-mine that leads to that "tool of business/economic expansion" called "war".

i would think that we create that continent on the knowledge that each and every one of us need some aspect of those natural resources. knowing that we all need the stuff, and knowing that we aren't all gonna be able to get to the bits each of us needs without collectively working to get it all out of the ground and onto everybody's table. knowledge of the necessities, knowledge of the skills, knowledge of the crafting of the tools must needs come long before any sorts of trade can go on.

mightn't that list be ending at the beginning? Education! Knowledge! Skills! gotta have them, first, in order to build the other bits, no?

good stuff, Brother Isaiah!

8. roarin1

roarin1 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +28
    hmmm.

What, is YOUR ethnicity? And assuming the shoe were on the "other foot,"

do YOU truly belive that capitalism or the machinery of imperialism would

differentiate in allowing YOUR People a foothold in the local geographical

economical demographics?

(just a little curious.....)

AMANI

ROARIN........

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    To answer your question Roarin1: Ibrahim is a young brother from Ghana. I agree fully with what brother Keita stated! This thread grew out of a discussion I was having with brother Ibrahim in the chat room. I pointed out that many of the skills African Americans have (engineering, marketing, nursing medical technology, auto repair, carpentry, farming, phone installation & repair, etc) are sorely needed in Africa. Instead of using these skills for minimum wage (or barely above it) to maintain the status quo in America, why not use those skills to improve conditions for our people in Africa? There are many governments that might welcome us, if they knew our value.

There have been some important points raised in this thread thus far. It is important to prepare oneself mentally & spiritually before making such a move. It is also important to choose carefully which country/nation you want to move to. That was Ibrahim's original intent in asking the question. Which African nation is best suited for a mass emmigration of African Americans? For the record there are already African Americans moving to Africa (occupying most countries), so that it happens at all isn't part of the debate. The question is which country's culture is best suited for a mass immigration of African Americans? Which this question in mind, I believe Ghana would be a good nation for African Americans to move to.

Ghana is a stable nation. It is free from the fighting which plagues too much of Africa. It is also an English speaking country, so African Americans won't have to worry about learning a new language. I'll add more to this later....

10. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I agree with both you and Keita. African Americans are one of the most highly skilled and educated black people in the diaspora. We could definately bring our training to under-developed countries in the motherland. It's just a matter of will and organisation.