OldSoul : African-Americans are confused about racism in four ways.

OldSoul

Permanent Black Man
PREMIUM MEMBER
May 16, 2002
Bronzeville USA
www.blackland.org
Occupation
Staying Alive
African-Americans are confused about racism in four ways.

First, they are confused about whether they are being tolerated or accepted by whites. Though some whites truly accept African-Americans, many more harbor negative stereotypes of them and only tolerate them. Rejecting the legitimate good will of whites is as big a mistake as trusting a white person who harbors racist attitudes The problem is that Afican-Americans can rarely tell who's who.
A second problem concerns an African-American's inability to distinguish between the supportive efforts of individual whites and the destructive actions of whites as a collective. This confusion occurs when an African-American is accepted by an individual white person and, as a result, mistakenly believes that racism no longer exists.
A third problem is knowing when, where and how to resist oppression, versus when, where and how to accommodate it. There are times and places when racism should be fought bitterly, but other times are not suitable. For example, the African-American employee whose white boss tells a racist joke, has a difficult choice to make.
The final confusion is whether an African-American's locus of control is internal or external. An internal locus of control implies that you attribute your successes to yourself and your failures to your lack of effort. An external locus of control implies that you attribute your failures or successes to something outside of your control. A major problem for African-Americans is determining when they are in control of their destiny or whether there are external factors imposed by racism. If Blacks assume an external locus of control (i.e., the "white man" controls everything we do), then we will lack motivation to help ourselves. On the other hand, if Blacks don't recognize the external constraints imposed upon Blacks by a white-racist society, they could be blaming African-American shortcomings on Blacks and not the real culprit.

(from Finding a Way Through the Maze of Racism by Dr Carl Bell http://whgbetc.com/meta/microinsults.html )

I agree wholeheartedly! When asked why, on tv 'they' always give the race of a person of color (but not Asians) this was my response:

I am someone who taught my children from an early age to identify people by skin color so they wouldn't notice when people said 'that black girl over there' or 'that black boy sure can play football' or whatever. When my daughter called red haired people orange at the grocery store, loud, like little children talk, or white people pink if they were sunburned (we're from FL) I was happy that white people were uncomfortable with it. It was my way of giving them a dose of their own medicine. Only Chad and Jared are being honest here in my opinion. Tell the truth and shame the devil as my grandma used to say! All you people that say it's race baiting, no it's not. You know you describe people based on skin color all the time. it's NORMAL. What's not normal and hypocritical is that white people don't describe THEMSELVES because then they would have to say at least 20 times in a newscast 'a white man, aged 35 is suspected of being a pedophile' then 'a white woman 28, was arrested today for abusing the children she was supposed to be babysitting' and again, 'a white man age 42 was arrested at Wells Fargo Bank for embezzlement' and again 'a white man age 19 was arrested for selling methamphetamines within 100 feet from a school' and then there's be maybe one 'black man, 27 charged with robbing a likka store...' haha! or whatever. You get the picture. White people commit WAY MORE CRIME than black people do but to say their race but white people also like to pretend that they don't so them make themselves invisible. Quite ingenious I have to admit because to acknowledge the 'whiteness' of the criminal element in the US on tv for every single broadcast would mess up the superiority thing they've got going on. White people are also masters of denial and projection. What they do they put on black people and everyone else. As long as they get to pretend that even though they are reporting on 5 white criminals to every 1 black they keep their white superiority complex in check. It the newscaster repeated white, white, white, white, white all the time the population that is in big time denial (not Chad or Jared, above) would realize how many of THEM are criminals. The entire white societal fabric would break down and they'd all go postal on each other, start shooting up movie theatres, schools, shopping malls (even MORE than they do already) and even the country club set would put down their martinis and bust a cap in someone's ***. That's why.

The flip side of the same coin!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back