Black People : African-American Teen Unemployment Increases to Almost 7 Times National Rate Why??

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Tantrum, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    African-American Teen Unemployment Increases to Almost 7 Times National Rate, Report Says
    By Staff and News Wire Report

African-American Teen Unemployment Increases to Almost 7 Times National Rate, Report Says

WASHINGTON

While 193,000 new jobs were created in January and overall unemployment dropped to 4.7 percent, the Black teen unemployment rate remains alarmingly high at 31.4 percent, according to a new report by the Employment Policies Institute.

While overall teenage unemployment saw a slight decrease from 13.4 percent to 13.3 percent, Black teen unemployment increased to seven times the national rate. This bleak employment outlook threatens to become much worse as states across the nation consider mandated minimum wage hikes.

Decades of economic research conclude that mandated wage hikes eliminate entry-level jobs, putting particular pressure on minorities and the underskilled. A Cornell University study found that young Black adults typically bear almost four times the employment loss of their non-Black counterparts after a minimum wage increase. Specifically, they found that a 10 percent increase in the minimum wage would result in an 8.5 percent decrease in employment for Black young adults and teenagers.

“These populations are already suffering from high unemployment and will only experience further barriers to employment if the minimum wage is increased,” says Michael Flynn, legislative director for the Employment Policies Institute. “This troubling economic reality should be taken into strong consideration by anyone considering a minimum wage hike — whether it is in the legislature or at the ballot box.”

To view the report online, go to <www.epionline.org/gj_report_detail.cfm?date=0601>.

© Copyright 2005 by DiverseEducation.com

Is there anything we can do
    To overcome and help our
    Teens in this struggle???

2. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    Who says its a struggle that blk teens have famalies that dont require us to work. Who says we have that work like dogs.. and our children have to as well? Where is the data that shows what these teens are doing, in our community, sports,clubs, etc?
    It would also show that the blk teen is more involved in after school activities.. and that the academia world has seen an increase in starndardized tests... and that more are going off to college.
    The drive thru window that had my parents working 9-5, has never seen my face, but from the outside.
    The point of having children and raising them.. is to that your children can grow beyond the parent.. economically.. emotionally.. socially etc.
    Id say that this is an achievement.. but for some reason, you all dont see it as such. We arent even the largest minority group any more.. why has this article targeted the African American family unit agains all others? Do you get off on seeing young blk teens behind the counter like on the macdonalds commercials?
    when in all truths...
    were doing other things with our time. Creating and preparing a brighter future for ourselves!

-and i did send this to the org. that published the article.

3. Tantrum

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12
    Its basically the life we live
    Its not all about us getting a kick out of seeing blacks on commercials
    Pertaining to mcdonalds cause blacks are in alot more commercials
    From fast food to sprite commercials to pepsi to really whatever
    If we are doing more with our time
    I for one dont see it in todays youth
    I dont think this shows that more blacks are into after school activities
    Playing video games which most kids do
    Or playing basketball doesnt count to me as after school activities
    I think the article was straight to the point

4. PoeticManifesta

PoeticManifesta Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Local Insurance Agent
    Ratings:
    +47
    you dont find it odd that they called out blk teens only... we arent even the larger minorty anymore,... but they chose to single us out.. and compare us to everyone else... i wanna know what white,spanish,and asian kids doin...

5. Tantrum

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12

I feel what you are saying
    Im not really sure why they did
    Cant even give a synompsis
    Yet if this article is true
    And this is really going on
    I hope we can make a change
    Yet I do see where you are coming from