Black People : African American History

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by JRJ26, Jul 30, 2004.

1. JRJ26

JRJ26 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I am an African American. I have recently begun to post on **************, a white nationalist forum. Basically, they believe that America was founded by whites, and that it is for whites. All others(Asians, blacks, hispanics, etc.)should return to their original homes(Africa, Asia, etc.).So, I've started to do research on the history of blacks in America. Does anyone have any resources(websites, books, etc.)that show that America was founded for ALL people, and that we all deserve to be here? Anything in the Constitution, the words of the Founding Fathers, etc? I just want to show that America is not a white only country, and would like information from the beginnings of America to prove this. Thanks.

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    JRJ26 ... Hello and Welcome.

You say that you have this fight going on over on some other forum, and you come here to get ammunition to fight it with?

Have you thought that perhaps it is a fight you should not be in, if you're not able to defend yourself?

I mean ... we do sorta kinda get to pick our fights.

:heart:

Destee

3. JRJ26

JRJ26 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    nono, this isn't something that I've discussed on the other forum, it's something I've noticed. This is basically what they believe. I am wondering what other people believe on this issue, as it's basically one sided over there. I also would like to know if you could recommend any resources on this issue. Since I'm starting college this fall(Georgetown University), I would like to take a course on African civilizations and maybe another in African Americans in the US(i'm really pressed w/ space, as i'm pre-med, lol). So, if anyone could provide me with resources on these issues(recommended books, websites, etc.), i would appreciate it.

4. JRJ26

JRJ26 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been posting about other issues, such as why all blacks are not criminals, poor, stupid, etc. in the "Opposition" forum they have.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    JRJ26 ... you say you are an African American, seeking to learn more about African Americans, but you have been spending time on a white nationalist forum ... and you're a premed student ... well, bless your sweet heart ... what area of medicine do you intend to practice?

Destee

6. JRJ26

JRJ26 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks :) I'm interested in radiology, pediatrics, and psychiatry, leaning towards radiology. We do need more black doctors, and medicine has always been my intended career path.

Yes, it seems ironic that I'm African American but looking at a white nationalist forum. It started when I was posting on a college preparation website(College Confidential.com). Someone started a discussion about affirmative action, and posted statistics on black crime, IQ, the usual. Another black student was posting as well(she's going to Yale University this fall), and I decided to find more information. I happened on ************** during a google search(though I've vaguely heard of it before), and found that she was posting on it too!(basically about her views on their beliefs). Since then, I've been looking through their website, as I've always been interested in other peoples' beliefs and why they believe certain things(maybe it's b/c i'm a psychology major? :) ). I guess I wanted to know how the "other side" thinks and believes. They have an Opposition forum where I and others who oppose these beliefs post. The website has gotten me to think about American history, African cultures, African American cultures, etc. Basically, things that I haven't really thought about before. Which is why I'd like to find more resources about African American history, as well as why we and other minorities belong here as much as white Americans do, and that this country wasn't founded for whites only(which is the basic premise behind White Nationalism. They want this to be a white only country, or at least have white only states. Obviously this won't happen any time soon or most likely ever.

7. Chucky

Chucky Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    The first thing I would do before engaging the white nationalist mindset is to become armed with a strong knowledge of self. You will discover that it is futile to debate intelligently with them on most subjects. They are drowning in their ignorance and prefer to stay that way. I suggest these books as a good start.

1. Destruction of Black Civilization : Great Issues of a Race from 4500 BC to 2000 AD, by Chancellor Williams (shows our downfall in africa)

2. At Hands of Person Unknown - The Lynching of Black America, by Phillip Dray (details evils done to the Black people and the mentality of whites)

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,686
    JRS26 ... thanks for sharing ... i don't have the answers to your questions, but if you do a search on google, some results will appear. Perhaps other Members can be of more assistance.

One last note ... to not know one's own self (culture, history, etc.) ... yet listening to what others say about you and hoping to counter their remarks (even if only in your own mind) ... is no small task.

Good luck with your quest for knowledge.

Much Love and Peace.

Destee

9. JRJ26

JRJ26 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks destee and chucky. I will take your words into consideration.

Anyone else have a response?

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    yes, i do
    DO NOT GO BACK TO THAT WEBSITE!

learn something about yourself and your people

how can you be in premed and be that uninformed?
    i hope i never see you in the ER :uzi: