Black Positive People : African-American Billionaire Businessman

Discussion in 'Black People Doing Positive Things' started by Aluku, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Aluku

Aluku Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    Meet The African-American Billionaire Businessman Who's Richer Than Michael Jordan

As a junior at Denver’s East High School in the 1970s, Robert F. Smith showed a fascination for the geekiest subject there: Computer science. The transistor held particular wonder for him. This small device, a crucial valve controlling the flow of electrons within a computer, had been invented at Bell Labs. Bell had a nearby office. Maybe he should work at Bell, too.

After securing the number, Smith phoned and inquired about a summer internship. Yes, Bell did have one, he learned, but only college upperclassmen could apply. Smith had straight A’s in math and computer science. Would that count? No, Bell said, it would not. Undaunted by this initial rejection, Smith called back every day for two weeks—HR stopped answering after Day 2—and then cut back on how often he called …to every Monday for five months. Eventually, he was rewarded for his doggedness. After an MIT student didn’t show up in June, Bell called Smith. Could he come in for an interview?

“I ran my own race. I knew what I wanted, and my persistence paid off, and I came in and interviewed. They liked me, and I got the internship,” Smith said in a commencement address at American University earlier this year in which he told this story about Bell. “In fact, I worked there for the next four years during summer and winter breaks.”

Yes, his stubborn streak has indeed paid off. Smith, 52, joins The Forbes 400 with a $2.5 billion fortune.......

.....he recalled attending President Obama’s first inauguration with his 93-year-old grandfather, a former Postal Service worker and coat-check clerk at the U.S. Senate. His grandfather, Smith said, could remember being one of the only African-Americans at a Franklin Roosevelt inauguration. Now, were they surprised that Obama had made it to the White House? No, they were not.

“We are only bound by the limits of our own conviction,” he said, voicing the same kind of resolve that won him the Bell internship decades earlier. “We can transcend the script of a pre-defined story, and pave the way for the future that we design. We just need to tap that power, that conviction, that determination within us.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielf...-businessman-whos-richer-than-michael-jordan/

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    who do he be married to?

3. Aluku

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    From the link in the article:

During these acquisitions, he limited the attention on himself. Yet he could not avoid attracting onlookers in July when he married model, fashion editor and former PlayboyPlaymate of the Year, Hope Dworaczyk, in Italy. (He has one child by Hope Smith and another on the way, in addition to three from a previous marriage.) Other than that brush with celebrity, Smith has stayed out of public view, quietly supporting African-American and African causes and contributing this year to Democrats Hillary Clinton and Chuck Schumer. (He also wrote significant checks to the GOP in the 2012 election cycle.)

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    :11100: so you see where the money go when he die?

5. Aluku

United States
    Ratings:
    +135
    Well I haven't read his will lol. Some will go to his wife for sure. Some will go to his child(ren), and who knows what he's donating to.

There are many heroes of mine who have married or dated white women. Berry Gordy, Quincy Jones, Marvin Gaye. That doesn't take away that they are heroes in my book and should be acknowledged as yet another source of inspiration besides sports figures and entertainers. Nothing is wrong with sports & entertainment BTW but African Americans succeeding in business highlites another avenue the young ones can aspire to.

As long as they are giving back to the African American community I'm good.

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    as long as we keep giving our money to the white man we will be poor.....