Black People : African-American Baby Boomers from 48-60

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by pfa1451usa, Jan 23, 2006.

1. pfa1451usa

pfa1451usa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    As we near the age of retirement we become the most powerful generation of African-Americans in history. Will you relocate? What activities will you pursue? What are your plans to maintain your health, develop new hobbies, work, travel? It's our turn now...

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Welcome to the Family!

it seems to me that the best developed tools to do much of anything are right here. just a matter of grabbing a bunch and reworking them until the make more sense/are more useful to us.

i'd like to take some tech down into the streets (and maybe even use some of that tech that they are, ahem; "working with") and see if i can point out some avenues to alternative options. maybe if someone reaches out with something that makes more sense to them, they might hear it? a "get off the streets" "rehabilitation program" that works because they decide that they want to do something else. one can holler all day at folks, but it ain't gonna amount to a hill of beans until they decide it to be worthy.

finally getting around to developing a "health team"; hobbies is a good question and something i'll think about; the traditional sense of "work" seems, to me, to be the mechanism that keeps us on this treadmill - but the aforementioned "activities" will prolly equate a lot to "hobbies" and "work"; travel - i wouldn't mind seeing some of this planet's beautiful places close up and/or coming to understand some of the other cultures around this planet without the "aid" of contemporary media outlets.

3. pfa1451usa

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you anAfrican...I truly believe that what we have experienced and garnered is to yet be given to the next generation.

It was consistent with what the last parenting individuals left to us and, somehow as a man, I feel we have let a generation down.

Time to understand who we are, the power given us, and educate again, those yet to come...

Having said that, consider narrowing down the questions proferred, help us all understand where this most unique generation might proceed.

4. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm not a baby-booomer but I can speak from what I've observed of most AfroAmerican baby-boomers.
    And the future looks pretty bleak for most..............

An increasing number are suffering from degenerative and painfully disabling diseases and conditions that doctors claim their is no cure for.

Most of the Vietnam veterans who haven't killed themselves yet are plagued with homelessness and alcoholism.

An increasing number of baby-boomer grandparents are finding themselves having to be parents all over again to their grandchildren because their own children aren't fit to take care of them.

Not to mention all the lay offs and problems with decent health-care so many boomers are wrestling with.

Most older boomers know they won't be able to retire or live a comfortable life the way things are going right now.

Even with all that, it still looks as if the baby-boomer generation will have a better life than their children and grandchildren the way the economy and society is going.

I said all of that not to be pessimistic....but to offer a dose of realism in a culture that seems to only want to focus on the "ideal" life, in hopes that we may change the direction that this society is moving in.

5. pfa1451usa

Ratings:
    +1
    Dual Karnayn thank you for responding but I beg to differ...

The majority of Americans resolve to live a healthier lifestyle every January but African-Americans are the ones most likely to actually do it, according to a new study by global market research firm Synovate.
    According to Synovate research, blacks were more likely than others to say that they are concerned enough about their health to consider modifying their lifestyles. Nearly two-thirds of African-Americans of all ages - somewhat less among youth, and gradually increasing with age - reported that they wanted to make health changes.
    These intentions translated into action: just over half (54%) of African-Americans reported having changed their eating habits within the past year. By comparison, 41% of Hispanics and 39% of other groups made modifications during the same period.

According to the North Carolina Division of aging: “Tomorrow’s older adults will include more well-educated and economically secure African-Americans than today. However, there will continue to be a disproportionate number of African-Americans among poor and less-educated elders.”

Census data show that the mean income of African American households grew 25.8% between 1990 and 2000, more than four times as fast as that of non-Hispanic white households. As a result, 3.7 million African American households have annual incomes of $50,000 or more. Moreover, there are 1.4 million upper-income African American households with an annual income of $75,000 or more. Growing numbers of these increasingly affluent African American families are living in the suburbs.

The buying power of African Americans in the United States is expected to increase nearly 30% to $682 billion in the next 5 years, according to The U.S. African American Market, a new research report published by Packaged Facts and available through MarketResearch.com.

Perhaps the very pessimism we echo is brought to us by the same individuals who would have us continue to ignore the viability and significant health of our own populace and marketplace. In the interim, they will continue to rush in and fill the void and our dollars will continue to circulate in a most appalling rate within our own communities.

Perhaps it’s time we recognized the opportunity to not only promote African-American business and entrepreneurship but most important to participate.

Thanks for participating...

6. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Thanks for posting this information. Since, I am at the "tail end" of the Baby Boom generation I guess this means I am now a "senior citizen". Lol!

I'm laughing because most of my friends and associates tend to be younger. The women who are most attractive to me tend to be in their 30s and some of them tend to have worse health problems than I do. 8 yrs ago I had an accident playing basketball with some of my students and started putting on weight while in rehab. I am still trying to lose what I gained but while being inactive I developed an acid reflux problem. Just recently I have been diagnosed with HPB and type 2 diabetes, since relocating to Texas. I was concerned about possible prostate problems and underwent complete bloodwork. What is interesting is that I found that just being an African-American, over the age of 45 with a family history of diabetes puts me in a high risk category. 3 out of 5 risk factors beyond my control....Just being Black and making it to a certain age...so, comparing tests to those taken about 3 years ago I found that I actually LOWERED my cholesterol, triglyceride and LDL levels and am with a HDL of 44<39 which is slightly elevated and can be lowered with exercise and weight loss. As far as the acid reflux...no longer have the problem since I started eating more fruit, drinking more water, and eating smaller portions for dinner and eating most meals prior to 6:30 pm..as far as the diabetes...my levels are always hidher in the morning and when I first was diagnose with a glucose level of 219 after three weeks it went to 154, through exercise and fasting and I am not yet required to take medication...My grandmother had a stroke at the age of 54 and my Dad passed of a stroke at 55...so I decided to take the opportunity at age 47 to early retire and concentrate on improving my health and soon will begin looking for a new job this week...soon as I get off this pc..but I made enough off the sale of my home in Los Angeles to be able to retire early, take the past seven months off while relocating, purchasing a new home, investing in over 70 acres of real estate in New Mexico, Texas, Wyoming, Oklahoma and British Columbia, while establishing TWO websites, and now I can regularly play golf or hit the driving range to prepare for the USGA Senior Tour...LOL!:cardio: :run: :dance3: :drums: :band: :Zzz: :1on1: :bball: :tennis: :cook: :pool: :bowl: :weights: :golf:

So much free time on my hands and LOVING every minute of it!!

Most likely, if i had continued on my teaching job the health risks would have increased due to the stress of the job as I would typically go o work an hour early and had a basketball class "mentoring program and :ref: dealing with these hard-head kids so early every day with no compensation and no assistance was taking it's toll. To stay on top of my grades, along with leadership and professional development responsibilities I would typically work from 6:45 am to 5pm...6 hrs pay for 11 hrs of work...and increasingly I had older co-workers who were retiring and younger ones who were leaving the profession...and many of the older ones would retire and a few months later, we would get word of some of them being afflicted with disease, or some of the dying...

I did not want to put 30+ years into a profession and die at an age where I could not travel and enjoy my retirement...:wchair: or come down with an illness or become disabled and unable to enjoy it...

So, here I am at destee.com spending half of my days talking trash :censored: LOL!!

While folks sit up and shoot at us "Old Bucks" and blame us for the gang problem and what ever else they wanna blame us for, we know that while growing up gangs problem was already there. Hell, in Los Angeles, before any Crips or Bloods were even born there were the AVES, Glads, Outlaws, Bishops, Slausons and Businessmen and Hispanic gangs such as White Fence..

Before there was AIDS/HIV there was syphillis and gonorrhea..

Before there was crack, there was smack and horse....

We overcame syphillis, gonorrhea, smack and horse, then another wave of biological and chemical war was waged against us, and brother, those of us BOOMERS who have survived have nothing to be ashamed of...

If folks can't respect us without blaming us for the condition they find themselves, then :censored: em'..

I entered college directly from high school, a product of the affirmative action era, even though I had the grades to earn a California State Scholarship, and I did, I was admitted under an affirmative action program because it afforded me counseling programs which I took advantage of. I graduated form UCLA and worked as a peer tutor and counselor, volunteered as a community programs director and works with a group of students to develop student support and retention programs, which have become institutionalized and under student control...and this was in the 80s before I became a public school teacher...

When the doors of affirmative action started closing, we already had programs in place working to retain the Black and Brown students who already were there and we had community programs in projects and high schools in south Central, Watts and Compton to do our own early outreach and gang intervention...

It amazes me how so many young brothers today wanna blame me, "US" for their own lack of initiative and failure to take advantage of the opportunities and programms that WE established to assist THEM..

Brother, I got programs in Los Angeles in place where life-long school mates are working with part of my family in Black Business development and I recently relocated knowing I don't even have to be there because i worked hard to develop good relations with positive, hard working group of committed Black folk and that work will continue to the benefit of my posterity and kinfolk...:couple:

Peace!
    Omowale..

7. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    please excuse the typos...haha!

8. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    In answering this question directly: I have already relocated but in 3 years I may move deeper South, I am presently working on a collection of musical compositions that I need to compile and send for copyright and then independently publish, I am attending heatlh classes to control my health issues, I am developing three websites, one of which is a family-oriented geneaology site, will be looking this week for a new teaching job (part-time) and when I get through the tax season I plan on doing more travel to New Orleans, Wyoming and the Deep South (Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama) to prospect some more real estate for potential investment...and most importantly, asset management of my retirement accounts and stock portfolio while trying to control my spending (ok...no more cd's for a while!!)...

And, I am setting up a recording/rehearsal studio (this week) in my garage...:dance1:

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    One last point...

Today I decided to follow a lesson from the lives of two Elders...

Jesus reached a point when He stated the work of HIS Father had been complete and He made preparations for His ultimate betrayal...and His Ascension...

Moses, after leadin the people into the "Promised Land" got tired of their stiff-neckedness and rebellion, and ultimately departed from His work and left them to their own demise...

Rather than allow myself to be lynched or betrayed by my "own people" I now choose to follow these two examples and leave the young folks to battle things out amongst themselves...

Peace out!

10. pfa1451usa

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning Omowalejabali...

I’ve noted that you are an entrepreneur and I’m in the process of designing an internet site for African-American Baby Boomers 48-60.

I'm a fifty-four (54) year old African-American semi-retired financial planner and securities broker having spent quite a few years working with wealthy African-American clients.

If you would be so gracious, I would appreciate your feedback. I’ve set up a temporary site for input and have left the link below for your perusual. (see http://leeenterprises.bravehost.com)

The first course listed is currently my topic of interest and study, and I’m a time away from establishing the next website to host my theme.

At the bottom of the leeenterprises site you will note the inclusion of Jermaine Griggs site (piano lessons), a young African-American who seems to have found considerable success on the internet. Please explore and let me know what you think. I'm following the same course he did.

Please explore at your leisure, and if you feel so inclined, let me know what seems to be working for you, and I shall reciprocate.

Trust you and the family are in the best of health and spirits.

David
    http://leeenterprises.bravehost.com