Black People : African-American Agenda/ Given Up?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by happy69, Mar 21, 2004.

1. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Before some of Us totally give up; We need to understand who We are as a community and who We want to be; and what to do about the challenges We are facing as a Community. Along with that We have to decide, rather We want to or not--Who We need to make a part of this conversation and who We need to cut loose, for they are detriments, they have no redeeming qualities and have been in the past and continue to be impedements to Our survival; and just like We should give up on Us trying to make White America and their Allies understand their racism and hatred towards us; and move on and progress; We have to kick them to the curb and not look back.

According to these forums:

1. Employment
    We have the capabilites of owning Our own; for many money is a problem so you have to work; sometimes at bad or low pay jobs; but there is a way around this: Home Businesses, putting together resources, families living together again, those who know how to tread the grant/loan world of finance help out etc... #1 We have to patronize Us...

2. Police Brutality Victims
    Keep the light on it, continue to Fight in Court; Not put Ourselves in position to be abused; First, let's save the 3 of the 4 who are not in that life then reach out to the 1 in 4 who are.

3. Prison Industry Product
    See 2

4. Education
    Keep the emphasis, while very impotant; not the only way out- some of Us have talents where college would be a waste of time/talent...We all know the names, etc... We have to give Our children their history; while it is getting better; they have to know and understand from whench they came and can go; and We cannot wait for everyone else to catch on... not this time.

5. Massive Immigration
    There is a part of me that believes that many have been and are allowed here to displace Us; but as there is a God, this has displaced MANY who are not Us. I will take my white brethren ways of action as the most viable way to me. Don't shop in places where many immigrants work; don't buy products where only immigrants or mostly immigrants make the product (I include sick Af-Ams who do this too)... those only, We don't have to do anything physical and stupid or march; We just have to be proud people--Again... open up Our Own businesses and patronize them.

6. Black Politicians
    We need to think about getting rid of about 80% of the impotents and fighters for everybody and everything but US.

Just my thoughts, what are yours?

(Thats it, you will hear no more from me on these issues if you don't want to talk about where we are, where we want to be, and how to get there; with these issues. I have written this over and over on these boards, I don't give up easily, but you have got me whipped; if We can't focus and get ourselves together as a community, right here over phone and cable lines, this doesn't bode well for Us getting together as a community. Before We can make demands of others We have to make demands of ourselves.)

Peace and Love.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Happy69, I'll co-sign everything you wrote. You did a great job of identifying & summarizing the biggest issues in the African American community. I have one thing to add (until I can think of something else):

7. The Black Family
    Since the 1940s, there are have systematic efforts to promote fatherless ness and female headed single family households in Black America. The family restrictions of welfare programs are just one of many efforts to promote fatherless ness in the black community. Propaganda pieces, disguised as scientific studies (such as the recent collaboration between Cornell University and the University of Utah, which suggest that while white children do better in two parent houses, black children do just as well in single parent homes); are also systematic efforts to promote fatherless ness in the African American community. The truth is: Single parent households in the African American community are not only accepted, they are encouraged!! This encouragement is to the detriment of African
    American society. The African American community has the highest rate of female headed single households in the world!! This includes black communities in other countries. A large percentage of households headed by single women is a reflection of a community of poverty and deterioration. A community that does not have healthy family relationships can neither grow nor prosper. Therefore we need to create and have funding for organizations that seek to counter these trends with education. We also need for the government to lend financial assistance to poor families, not just mothers.

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Let's discuss an online community framework

Sister Happy, you are correct in that you have been extremely diligent and persistent in raising the issues that you are raising here again. And I know that for someone with your "roll up the sleeves and get things done" personality, it can be quite frustrating to say the least, when your threads seem to get minimal attention. It's been commented on before by some others that many of us that come here seem to talk a good game without putting any action behind their words. I can't say whether this is true or not but it's obvious that some people want to ACT as well as talk about our issues--to put their money where their mouths are, so to speak.

Maybe it would be helpful sister if you explained what exactly it is that you envision us doing and how we can do it as an internet community. More importantly, given that this is the internet, how do we protect ourselves from people who seek to harm and not help the efforts that we make? The social and political issues that you and Brother Panafrica mentioned are critical and spread throughout our communities around the globe as our members do as well. What do you propose we can do as an internet community to become "organized" and solution-driven?

Queenie :spinstar:

4. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    As far as what can we do, voting registration drives are number one. As far as politicians are concern, if you don't vote, then you don't exist. We have to vote in politicians that are willing to work for us, and vote out politicians who aren't working for us (regardless of color).

5. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Pan Africa and NN Queen:

Yes PA voting is something that is very important for Us--whether We win or lose--hopefully "people" are truly in place this time to make sure that We are not cheated-again. I stated on another thread, that Jews and Blacks vote at the highest rate; and We know that We are not even doing all that We can do on that front.
    Even bigger is getting Our families together. This is where We have to start. I think all children can do better if there are the 2 parent's in the household...and I think that you may be right PA that there is a push to do this in Our communities...but if it makes any kind of sense, I think that the data is probably right. Black women have had to toe it along for a very very long time... I read that in Barbados the rate of single parentness was as prevalent there for women...but I don't really know... I agree that in homes with both parents, if they both work of course you can do better... but We know and continue to see that Black men have a harder row in that sector... in New York--50%.
    I think that We all have to get Our families together....extended families... I think that it is beginning to happen in one way--the migration back to the south for African-Americans... this is an issue that We really need to talk further about---this is Number 1. But the push to destroy has always been and will continue to be there. Just like anti-abortion forces never target clinics that give abortions to Black women--never--just the clinic where whites were... I have a study that was done on that in the late 80's or early 90's...the correlation was the racism of the religious right (that was before We had stupid black men and women joining them, becoming voluntary pawns of a KKK like organization)... At the core of Our beings is Family... Thanks this is number 1.

Queen, first I want a discussion-- I want all of Us to discuss Our opinions...I want Us to discuss all the ways We can get to where We want to be.
    Second, We have to take the info. into Our communities. Third, We have to report on what worked and what did not.
    All in all, We have to organize... I think that We can do this online.
    What will it do.
    1. We will have an agenda.
    2. We will have a method of dealing with how to get it out there.
    3. We will have a direct method of knowing exactly what worked and how it worked.
    4. We will have a means of communication.
    5. It is something that We can all do.
    6. The least We can start to do is find out all the African-American businesses in/around Our communities (incl. churches)... just a list; with names of those We can contact or an address; include organizations that are working on behalf of African-Americans.
    7. Draft a contract between community and Af-Am businesses and orgs.
    8. Troubleshoot on kinds of businesses We need in Our communities, on the kind of facilities etc..
    9. Bring together Our people with ideas and the ones with the resources...or form groups to combine resources.
    And I can go on and on....
    Mainly I want Us together or We won't survive.

There will always be those out to hurt Us. Sadly, many of the pathetic are in black face. We have bs detectors. We locate them, and get them out of Our lives. It is funny, today, We seem to act as if We don't know them; but way back when, Our family could filter them out and ostracize them, amongst other things. It has been shown that when We come together We make things move.

6. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    8. Suffrage Rights for Felons

There is little purpose to punish ex-cons beyond their jail sentences, and that is exactly what taking away the voting rights of ex-felons does. The high number of blacks in prison (particularly males) is well documented. This law serves as a tool to decrease the representation of the black community, and it needs to be reversed. Voting Rights for inmates who have served their debt to society needs to be restored immediately. Furthermore employment programs need to be formed to ensure these people decent jobs, with livable wages (so they don't have to return to crime, and continue to prey on their communities).

7. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    I agree with you on this one; just one question though; Is there any crime committed by which someone should lose voting rights? I want to say maybe murder-then again, if the time for the crime has been served then may not?
    I think too, that once We get Our communities in the shape that We want them to be; We can take up some of that slack; and reintroduce Our people to society and the workforce.
    This is an excellent addition.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Hello, just want to say this is inspiring. Very empowering. Thank you all. When I find time I will definitely contribute.

Blackbird

9. happy69

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi BlackBird...

Welcome to the site. I read your last post in Kemsetry's topic on Political Action. You are very intelligent and insightful...We need you in here! You will find highly intelligent and insightful people in here. Luckily, Destee, keeps it family and keep it a comfortable forum for Us to come and discuss. Please do post your ideas.

PA I am awaiting your thoughts; is there anything that someone can do, whereby, their rights should not be returned-even after serving time?
    And you ideas on "curbing" Our own criminal element (We talked about doing as the Asians do in their communities-- it's vigilante justice--but it works!)

If Destee is reading the boards: How many people frequent this site?
    Couldn't We all give a nominal fee...like $5/every quarter? If there are a few hundred who frequent or more--wouldn't that make a difference--couldn't you do more?

Okay, on the low side; let's say there are 200 of Us who frequent: every three months Destee gets $1,000...$4,000/yr....it is very easy when you think of it in those terms...that is just $20/year; to keep something-Ours. If all of Us who frequented did that...
    We could do the same things in Our communities...you want to make the school better for your kids, buy a pool, etc...set-up clean up committees... I have so many ideas.

Destee crunch the numbers--You shouldn't have to ask Us; We should be doing; sometimes We come to things too late; or when someone else recognizes the value; then We get upset...this is Our chance... We could start in April! (Destee missed the first quarter).
    I had stated that in the past, but got no responses...We need this site; just like We need each other.

Again, Peace-

10. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Sorry for the late reply, but I was out of town:

Although I find certain crimes: rape, murder, child-abuse, to be particularly disgusting. If a person has served the prison sentence that was given to them, I again see no need to punish them further.