Pan Africanism : Africa seeks the help of its exiles!

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Oct 19, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    In light of previous threads like Prophet Chris on repatriation, also my own thread on the United States of Africa, I discovered an interesting article on the subject of Africans in the Diaspora contributing to Africa's revival:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3751034.stm

Although there is much work to be done (eliminating corruption in various governments, controlling rebels, etc) before this can become a viable project for all of Africa. Apparently this idea Diasporic Africans working to rebuilt the wealth and prosperity of our motherland is not one sided.

2. bienamor

bienamor Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Mi dos Peso's

did not read anything obout inviting us back but our money yes. More like the Jew and Israel. Come if you want too, but send money. Will keep mine at home!

3. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Very informative article Brother Panafrica and great information too. Brother bienamor, I find your reactions to the article interesting as well. The sense I got from your comments was that you are taking an extremely narrow and superficial view of the concept. Please don't take offense, but it also sounds as though you're angry or bitter about having any connection to Africa if it doesn't welcome you with open arms. Did it bother you that no words of love for diasporic Africans appeared in the article? This is more than about sentimentalities if you look at the analogies mentioned about India and Israel--don't you think? However unfortunate it might be, it's not surprising that not every Black person will greet this movement with acceptance and approval. I'm sure that was also the case for some Indians and Jews. But if what you have isn't the way you think it should be then why not try something else, at least something different that has been proven to work well for others? From what you've written about the conditions in Haiti, I would think this would seem like a blessing to it's people as it could be a way to achieve a better life other than coming to the U.S.

Thanks again Bro. Pan for the great information. Like you said, some important details need to be ironed out first before anything comes of this but at least we're not the only ones discussing the concept. We need to keep a watchful eye on this one in my opinion.

Queenie :spinstar:

4. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Well said NN Queen...this is definately something to keep a watchful eye on!

5. bienamor

bienamor Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    MY Dear

I have no issues with your reference to my feelings about Africa. Truth of the matter is I'm very happy here in my own country,AND have no desire to move to Africa or anywhere else at the present time open arms or not. Would rather try to help solve some of the problems in my country which are minor compared to some of the countries in Africa. We have no civil wars, and if we can get a government that will keep their hands out of the cash register for a while we will be a lot better off as thats what caused the majority of the problems here. New government is like a new broom we hope.

Was just stating from the article seemed to be more like Israel in that they were looking for the capital, much as like happens in NYC and Chicago with the Jewish community.

Also please its the Dominican Republic not HAITI. Thats the other side of the same Island, but a very different country. And noway alike!! :skillet:

6. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I apologize for the mis-reference....Dominican Republic...I'll remember that. So you don't view yourself detached from your country, your country is you. That must be a great feeling to see yourself as one in the same. So I guess I understand now why you don't understand what it's like to be an African who was born and living in America. You feel whole or complete living in the DR and many of us don't feel that way about America. You refer to the DR as YOUR country--you take ownership of it. At least that's one less problem you have to deal with or hurdle you have to jump. So instead of disagreeing with the majority of our opinions here, you should feel more empathy and compassion for African Americans. We're trying to make the best of what we've got--turn lemons into lemonade so to speak. Were you the poster who referred to the arrogant nature of African Americans? If you are, maybe your opinion now will change. You're not the same as us. We are not the same as you. We see a connection between ourselves and our ancestral beginnings. Some of us do yearn for a day when we can return "home" and others seek closure and peace right where they are. It's not always about making that trip back to Africa's shores....it's more about how we identify ourselves and the continent that we feel and want to be connected to. Since the DR is your home and you're comfortable there, then blessings to you brother and maybe you will find it in you to support the rest of us as we seek the same blessing.

Peace,
    Queenie :spinstar: