Pan Africanism : Africa in relation to the war in Iraq

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by mkhaya lo', Apr 22, 2003.

1. mkhaya lo'

mkhaya lo' Well-Known Member MEMBER

Journalist
    Rand Park Ridge, Johannesburg, South Africa.
    Ratings:
    +6
    The war is almost over...The statues of Saddam Hussein have come down, transition government talks are underway and the coalition forces are hailed as heroes who've rescued the people of Iraq from a tryrant who's ruled the country for 35 years... But who's voice is this? The media's indeed...everything we know about the war is through the media's eyes...the deaths of civilians or the real situation at the ground that are underplayed will almost always be a "u needed to be here to see for yourself" mystery..

But Where does Africa fit into this whole picture?

Its no secret that President George W. Bush approached South African President Thabo Mbeki for support in his plans to go to war against Iraq, and surely, being a country that knows what oppression is, it should have only made sense that south africa the efforts of President Bush, but we didn't.

U see, I believe that South Africans could have achieved "freedom and liberation" years ago if country's like America had come to our "rescue" from the oppressive apartheid regime. But they didn't. Why? one could argue that we don't have any mineral wealth they're after, but on the other hand, South African could have never claimed the victory of our liberation struggle as our own if we'd allowed other countries to fix in a month or two, damage that has been done over hundreds of years.

When Nelson Mandela was released from Jail and south african-south african talks began, the world looked at us, marvelling at the changes taking place, and finally celebrating with us when we went to our first democratic elections in 1994.

The people of Iraq should have been given the same opportunity to fight the oppression and struggle from within to free themselves. But they were never given that chance. We don't know why its taken so long for them to liberate themselves, but it sure is something we will never know because of imperialism that has come and robbed them of that chance of calling their liberation their own...

Countries like Nigeria, the Ivory Coast, the DRC, Rwanda, all war torn countries for years, are finally starting to come to peace and democracy through PEACE talks and other negotiations between role players...peace can never be attained by war, no matter what the justification...President Bush along with British Prime minister Tony Blair have send out the message that they are doing this for the iraqi people...but where is the iraqi voice?

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes i feel u here this speaks loud and show the truth
    thanks for this knowledge

3. mkhaya lo'

Journalist
    Ratings:
    +6
    $RICH$, I thank u for your time to read my postings..it means a lot to me..

lo'

4. mkhaya lo'

Journalist
    Ratings:
    +6
    Baba Ahmed, u raise a valid point...the whole racial intergration thing can be taken too far....too quickly at some stage. I'll give u an example: I was listening to a quest on one of our presenters show today, i'm not sure what he was in the studio for, but at some point they got talking about affirmative action and it was the biggest load of Sh!!t if I have heard any this year (excuse my french). The presenter is black-Tim modise-and the guy was white, so Tim goes on to ask this guy about what he thinks about affirmative action...he starts going on about how white people are just another tribe in Africa and are just as african about everybody else so, its no use to make white people go through the same "horrible things" that black people went through by exercising affirmative action to its fullest...I'm paraphrasing here but this was the gist of his statement and my friend and i just looked at each other and laughed...i dont know if we laughted out of disgust or we just reallly thought this dude is dillusional..

I believe that the position of black people hasnt changed across the board. The black elite are super-rich and the poor are getting poorer! and even worse...I think we, well at least me, am going through an identity crisis "what makes u black?" asks one advert..is it the way u walk, is it the shape of your nose..the colour of your eyes...or is it your soul??? personally, i would like to work in a all black environment that works...because sometimes us black people among each other have this thing of undermining each other and feel that a white person can do things better and that infuriates me! i believe we need to have our own schools that work! right now black township schools are still lacking in infrastructure, some dont have the proper books, facilities are bad, toilets dont work at some schools (my mother was a teacher-I experienced this first hand) and so black parents are taking their children to former white schools and private schools where they will get the best education.

lo'

5. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    My Dear Sister,
    How could America come to the aid of South Africa years ago when America was part of the oppression going on ? When America dared to say something concerning South Africa, Botha stated "how can the pot call the kettle black" ? From that point on, America shut up ! Best to shut up than be exposed as the hypocrite she is ! Sorry.