Pan-Africanism : Africa And Her People!

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
In a thread on the Culture Forum I listed the following list of the various ethnic groups of Africa:

The Acholi, Afar, Amhara, Anlo-Ewe, Ashanti, Azande, Baganda, Bambara, Baoule, Basuba, Beja, Bemba, Bobo, Boran, Bubi (Mrs. PanAfrica's group), Bushmen, Chagga, Chewa, Chokwe, Comorians, Dan, Datooga, Digil, Digo, Dinka, Dogon, Dorobo, Duruma, Embu, Fang, Fon, Fulani, Fur, Gabbra, Ganda, Gawwada, Giriama, Gisu, Gosha, Gwikwe, Hausa, Hutu, Ibo, Iteso, Jie, Kakwa, Kalenjin, Kamba, Kanuri, Keiyo, KhoiKhoi, Kikuyu, Kipsigis, Kisii, Kongo, Kpelle, Kru, Kuba, Kumam, Kung, Lomwe, Lozi, Luba, Lunda, Lou, Luhya, Makonde, Makua, Malinke, Manding, Marakwet, Margi, Masai, Mbarakwengo, Mbere, Mbundu, Mbuti, Meen, Mende, Meru, Mongo, Mossi, Mukogodo, Munyoyaya, Nandi, Ndebele, Nubi, Nuer, Nupe, Nyamwezi, Nyankore Nyanja, Nyoro, Njemps, Ogaden, Orma, Oromo, Ovambo, Ovimbundu, Pende, Pokomo, Pokot, Rabai, Ribe, Rendille, Sabaot, Sakuye, Samburu, Senufo, Shangaan, Shona, Somali, Songye, Soninke, Sotho, Suba, Sukuma, Swazi, Taita, Teso, Tigre, Tigrinya, Tiv, Tonga, Twsa, Tswana, Tugen, Turkana, Turu, Tutsis, Urhobos, Wolof, Xhosa, Yao, Yoruba, Zinza, and Zulu.

After some thought I felt that this list deserves its own thread. Unlike many Africans in the Diaspora, African Americans generally do not know which ethnic group we are descended from: We are not sure if we are Wolof (Senegal), Yoruba (Nigeria), Mende (Sierra Leone), or a combination of several ethnic groups (which is more than likely the case for the majority of African Americans). This may actually be a benefit as we can claim not just one nation/people as our home, but the entire continent! I would like to use this thread to share/learn information about each ethnic groups listed. As we learn about them...we learn about ourselves!

The Bubis

I will begin with the history of my wife's ethnic group, The Bubi:

According to their legends, the Bubi were originally from Egypt. However after facing persecution in Egypt, the group emigrated to modern Bioko Island (Equatorial Guinea in West/Central Africa). Here the Bubi thrived, and established their own culture. The Bubi were known for being fierce warriors & proud people. They were particularly known for fighting off efforts from European slavers. They were also famed agriculturalist & were business oriented. Here is an excellent on-line website about Bubi culture & history:

http://www.thebubis.com

The Acholi

The Acholi of Uganda (East/Central Africa) are known as fierce fighters. They were known to wage war with their neighbors before the coming of Europeans, and were recruited for the British Government (army, police and prison guards) during Colonization. Acholi soldiers participated with the British in World War II in combat theaters throughout the world. The Acholi believe they were exploited the uniformed services and for unskilled labor, which left them at the margins of Uganda's development (while central Ugandans, such as the Baganda, were the beneficiaries of more durable commercial and educational activities). As a result of the Acholi's military experience & reputation, they have been targets since the independence of Uganda (and have been both the architects & victims of coups since).

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back