Pan-Africanism : Africa And Her People!

AfriKing

Jan 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Occupation
High School Student
Emeka said:
The Tuaregs are not Black; they consider themselves to be White and are fiercely proud of this fact (which is not wrong in itself). However, the problem is that through much of history the have been heavily involved in carrying out wars of eradication against their Black neighbors and have been the main traffickers of Black slaves across the Sahara desert to Arabia in the east. They are much feared by Blacks in the Sahel regions of Africa and are considered untrustworthy because of their long history of deception towards Blacks (and even towards the Arabs).

They have proved (like all White peoples) to have been an implacable enemy of Blacks, and are not be worthy to be mentioned along with Black nations (not tribes).
In the pictures I saw, the Tuareg looked Black to me. It doesn't matter what they consider themselves, what are they? If they are Black Africans, then self-hating Black people who do harm to other Black people wouldn't be the first ( again,the Hutu/Tutsi situation in Rwanda/Burdundi).

Zoraida

Dec 9, 2004
panafrica said:
In a thread on the Culture Forum I listed the following list of the various ethnic groups of Africa:

The Acholi, Afar, Amhara, Anlo-Ewe, Ashanti, Azande, Baganda, Bambara, Baoule, Basuba, Beja, Bemba, Berber, Bobo, Boran, Bubi (Mrs. PanAfrica's group), Bushmen, Chagga, Chewa, Chokwe, Comorians, Dan, Datooga, Digil, Digo, Dinka, Dogon, Dorobo, Duruma, Embu, Fang, Fon, Fulani, Fur, Gabbra, Ganda, Gawwada, Giriama, Gisu, Gosha, Gwikwe, Hausa, Hutu, Ibo, Iteso, Jie, Kakwa, Kalenjin, Kamba, Kanuri, Keiyo, KhoiKhoi, Kikuyu, Kipsigis, Kisii, Kongo, Kpelle, Kru, Kuba, Kumam, Kung, Lomwe, Lozi, Luba, Lunda, Lou, Luhya, Makonde, Makua, Malinke, Manding, Marakwet, Margi, Masai, Mbarakwengo, Mbere, Mbundu, Mbuti, Meen, Mende, Meru, Mongo, Mossi, Mukogodo, Munyoyaya, Nandi, Ndebele, Nubi, Nuer, Nupe, Nyamwezi, Nyankore Nyanja, Nyoro, Njemps, Ogaden, Orma, Oromo, Ovambo, Ovimbundu, Pende, Pokomo, Pokot, Rabai, Ribe, Rendille, Sabaot, Sakuye, Samburu, Senufo, Shangaan, Shona, Somali, Songye, Soninke, Sotho, Suba, Sukuma, Swazi, Taita, Teso, Tigre, Tigrinya, Tiv, Tonga, Twsa, Tswana, Tugen, Turkana, Turu, Tutsis, Urhobos, Wolof, Xhosa, Yao, Yoruba, Zinza, and Zulu.

After some thought I felt that this list deserves its own thread. Unlike many Africans in the Diaspora, African Americans generally do not know which ethnic group we are descended from: We are not sure if we are Wolof (Senegal), Yoruba (Nigeria), Mende (Sierra Leone), or a combination of several ethnic groups (which is more than likely the case for the majority of African Americans). This may actually be a benefit as we can claim not just one nation/people as our home, but the entire continent! I would like to use this thread to share/learn information about each ethnic groups listed. As we learn about them...we learn about ourselves!
Another wise post here. Wow, there's so much I just don't know.

Oba Iparankanru

Sep 17, 2003
interesting, I'm more incline to think african americans are most likely from many tribes but they vary by location, many of the gullah in georgia/SC area are thought to be ashanti/igbo and many of the louisiana blacks are definately Fon because of the french etc. etc.

panafrica

Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
Oba Iparankanru said:
interesting, I'm more incline to think african americans are most likely from many tribes but they vary by location, many of the gullah in georgia/SC area are thought to be ashanti/igbo and many of the louisiana blacks are definately Fon because of the french etc. etc.
African Americans are without question a mix of many African ethnic groups (which is probably why you have such a hard time locking down a specific culture)! I don't know if the break down was as specific to regions as you theorize though Oba Iparankanru. There was a lot of mixing between blacks in the original 13 colonies: Enslaved Africans being sold from plantation to plantation. Enslaved Africans escaping and moving to other areas. Even today people don't always marry & have children with people in their town/state. However, your theory is interesting nonetheless! I'm sure that despite what I said there were some enslaved Africans in America who managed to recognize their particular ethnic group, and only married/mated within that group. Perhaps this was a conscious decision at 1st then a unconscious decision in the following decades & centuries. Again I don't know if this is true, but the implications are fascinating!

Corvo

navigator of live
May 9, 2003
LaLa land
Occupation
Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
In knowing as much as we can, about our colletive ancestry.

We black Africans of the Americas, Yes these are all borrowed words from those who have dominated us phisically in the past.

who are we today?

It's clear to me that we, are collectively a people that have been subjigated to a sub. being, by Euro-western concerns.

It's up to us to educate ourselfs to the contrary. Many in the so called Americas are still serving the white-Mans venue. rejecting our own spiritual values and moral understandings.

not to be preching. But how do we get on with our former striengths?

Great African models exist.

How do we, collectively consalidate the wisdom and real knowledge our ancestors realized, to a working, functinal culture, for us today?

We all, need to get to the next stage. we need to develope a real plan.
or we shall fall to the wishes of the white man's decree.

Corvo

awo dino

Sep 11, 2009
in florida for now
Occupation
carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
records were kept of the origins of slaves for sale, so you can find out from which areas the majority of Afrikans came from.
ase

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
In a thread on the Culture Forum I listed the following list of the various ethnic groups of Africa:

The Acholi, Afar, Amhara, Anlo-Ewe, Ashanti, Azande, Baganda, Bambara, Baoule, Basuba, Beja, Bemba, Bobo, Boran, Bubi (Mrs. PanAfrica's group), Bushmen, Chagga, Chewa, Chokwe, Comorians, Dan, Datooga, Digil, Digo, Dinka, Dogon, Dorobo, Duruma, Embu, Fang, Fon, Fulani, Fur, Gabbra, Ganda, Gawwada, Giriama, Gisu, Gosha, Gwikwe, Hausa, Hutu, Ibo, Iteso, Jie, Kakwa, Kalenjin, Kamba, Kanuri, Keiyo, KhoiKhoi, Kikuyu, Kipsigis, Kisii, Kongo, Kpelle, Kru, Kuba, Kumam, Kung, Lomwe, Lozi, Luba, Lunda, Lou, Luhya, Makonde, Makua, Malinke, Manding, Marakwet, Margi, Masai, Mbarakwengo, Mbere, Mbundu, Mbuti, Meen, Mende, Meru, Mongo, Mossi, Mukogodo, Munyoyaya, Nandi, Ndebele, Nubi, Nuer, Nupe, Nyamwezi, Nyankore Nyanja, Nyoro, Njemps, Ogaden, Orma, Oromo, Ovambo, Ovimbundu, Pende, Pokomo, Pokot, Rabai, Ribe, Rendille, Sabaot, Sakuye, Samburu, Senufo, Shangaan, Shona, Somali, Songye, Soninke, Sotho, Suba, Sukuma, Swazi, Taita, Teso, Tigre, Tigrinya, Tiv, Tonga, Twsa, Tswana, Tugen, Turkana, Turu, Tutsis, Urhobos, Wolof, Xhosa, Yao, Yoruba, Zinza, and Zulu.

After some thought I felt that this list deserves its own thread. Unlike many Africans in the Diaspora, African Americans generally do not know which ethnic group we are descended from: We are not sure if we are Wolof (Senegal), Yoruba (Nigeria), Mende (Sierra Leone), or a combination of several ethnic groups (which is more than likely the case for the majority of African Americans). This may actually be a benefit as we can claim not just one nation/people as our home, but the entire continent! I would like to use this thread to share/learn information about each ethnic groups listed. As we learn about them...we learn about ourselves!
I couldn't help but chuckle at your reason for "editing" this original post: "The list keeps growing!"

And, yes, this is quite a task you undertook but I do appreciate it and you for it!

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

sekou kasimu wrote on willa's profile.
What exactly is your ideology?!
I'll be honest. I like black culture forums, so I've signed up for this one, BX, and Lipstick Alley. I won't post too often, only on things that I'm really interested in. Nice to meet you. :)
Ms Drea wrote on butterfly#1's profile.
Hi Sister,
Miss you so much I hope all is well with you and yours!!
Love and Blessings!! :heart: :heart:
Implementation and Sustainment
You can skip rocks across water but if you're not building yourself up rock solid, you'll drown under pressure.
11-5-19✍