Pan-Africanism : Africa And Her People!

Would the Merina of Madacasgar qualify as an African tribe although they speak a Polynesian language and possibly racially Polynesian or partly? They used to be the rulers of Madagascar. The famous now long deceased Matriach of my clan descended from this tribe. She was a minor nobility most likely (although my family exxagerate her importance by claiming she was a princess). They were dispossessed by the French and ended up marrying a French sailor after their deportation to Mauritius (so she must have come from a fairly powerful family); their Queen was exiled to Algeria.

All the polynesians were black until their "discovery" by Europeans. Once the Europeans (French) took over, they brought in Japanese people to the islands to work on the sugar, etc. plantations (like Dole Fruit in Hawaii - brought in by Americans who stole that island). The original blacks either intermarried with them (like your ancestor) or were dispossessed by the overwhelming number of Japanese the Europeans imported.

Would the Merina of Madacasgar qualify as an African tribe although they speak a Polynesian language and possibly racially Polynesian or partly? They used to be the rulers of Madagascar. The famous now long deceased Matriach of my clan descended from this tribe. She was a minor nobility most likely (although my family exxagerate her importance by claiming she was a princess). They were dispossessed by the French and ended up marrying a French sailor after their deportation to Mauritius (so she must have come from a fairly powerful family); their Queen was exiled to Algeria.

Yes they are even though they migrated over two thousand years ago from Borneo.

In a thread on the Culture Forum I listed the following list of the various ethnic groups of Africa:

The Acholi, Afar, Amhara, Anlo-Ewe, Ashanti, Azande, Baganda, Bambara, Baoule, Basuba, Beja, Bemba, Bobo, Boran, Bubi (Mrs. PanAfrica's group), Bushmen, Chagga, Chewa, Chokwe, Comorians, Dan, Datooga, Digil, Digo, Dinka, Dogon, Dorobo, Duruma, Embu, Fang, Fon, Fulani, Fur, Gabbra, Ganda, Gawwada, Giriama, Gisu, Gosha, Gwikwe, Hausa, Hutu, Ibo, Iteso, Jie, Kakwa, Kalenjin, Kamba, Kanuri, Keiyo, KhoiKhoi, Kikuyu, Kipsigis, Kisii, Kongo, Kpelle, Kru, Kuba, Kumam, Kung, Lomwe, Lozi, Luba, Lunda, Lou, Luhya, Makonde, Makua, Malinke, Manding, Marakwet, Margi, Masai, Mbarakwengo, Mbere, Mbundu, Mbuti, Meen, Mende, Meru, Mongo, Mossi, Mukogodo, Munyoyaya, Nandi, Ndebele, Nubi, Nuer, Nupe, Nyamwezi, Nyankore Nyanja, Nyoro, Njemps, Ogaden, Orma, Oromo, Ovambo, Ovimbundu, Pende, Pokomo, Pokot, Rabai, Ribe, Rendille, Sabaot, Sakuye, Samburu, Senufo, Shangaan, Shona, Somali, Songye, Soninke, Sotho, Suba, Sukuma, Swazi, Taita, Teso, Tigre, Tigrinya, Tiv, Tonga, Twsa, Tswana, Tugen, Turkana, Turu, Tutsis, Urhobos, Wolof, Xhosa, Yao, Yoruba, Zinza, and Zulu.

After some thought I felt that this list deserves its own thread. Unlike many Africans in the Diaspora, African Americans generally do not know which ethnic group we are descended from: We are not sure if we are Wolof (Senegal), Yoruba (Nigeria), Mende (Sierra Leone), or a combination of several ethnic groups (which is more than likely the case for the majority of African Americans). This may actually be a benefit as we can claim not just one nation/people as our home, but the entire continent! I would like to use this thread to share/learn information about each ethnic groups listed. As we learn about them...we learn about ourselves!
Back in the 80s there was something called Tradewinds, that traced the saled of those of us kidnapped, and from what ships and ports and regions of Africa, then today there is the DNA tests, but does anyone know the best way for one to trace their ancestral tribe? And actually find and see our blood relatives after all these hellish years?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back