Black People : Africa Addio

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by truetothecause, Feb 22, 2010.

1. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    "From the producers of the Mondo Canes comes this violent document of a continent in transition; the change from white colonialism to independent black statehood. Often times, this resulted in the wholesale massacre of thousands of people and the indiscriminate extermination of wild life. Captured on film are mercenary killer squads wiping out entire villages, executions, Mau-Mau massacres and more!"

Nine Part Movie...here are parts 1-3

M.E.
    :hearts2:

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Thanks for reminding me I have this one, but I have yet to muster the courage to watch it. It's hard to keep the anger in check.

3. BlackAfrikan

BlackAfrikan Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Mondo film

A mondo film is a exploitation documentary film, sometimes resembling a pseudo-documentary, usually depicting sensational topics, scenes, and situations. Common traits of mondo films include emphasis on taboo subjects such as death and sex, portrayals of foreign cultures that have received accusations of racism and staged sequences presented as genuine documentary footage. Over time, the films placed more and more emphasis on footage of the dead and dying, both real and fake. The term "shockumentary" has also been used to describe the genre...
    Africa Addio is a 1966 Italian exploitation film about the end of the colonial era in Africa. The film was released in a shorter format under the names "Africa Blood and Guts" in the USA and "Farewell Africa" in the UK. The film was shot over a period of three years by Gualtiero Jacopetti and Franco Prosperi, two Italian filmmakers who had gained fame (along with co-director Paolo Cavara) as the directors of Mondo Cane in 1962. This film ensured the viability of the so-called Mondo film genre, a cycle of "shockumentaries"- documentaries featuring sensational topics, which classifications largely characterize "Africa Addio".
    The film is edited with a style that numerous reviewers have deemed to be a "pro-white European" and "pro-Colonialist" slant as seen during the first wave of what became endemic African revolutions. It makes virtually no references to past atrocities and exploitations committed by European colonialists instead the film mainly focuses on the atrocities and crimes committed by Black Africans. The film's promotion, opening subtitles and subsequent narration clearly inform the viewer that the sole purpose of this film is to serve as a monument to the Africa once under white European domination:
    "Europe has abandoned her baby," the narrator mourns, "just when it needs her the most." Who has taken over, now that the colonialists have left? The advertising announces: "Raw, wild, brutal, modern-day savages!"
    Many sequences are staged or framed as Cinéma vérité style but are obvious reenactments. For instance, during one sequence, a black youth is shown running through the fields, trailing behind him a chunk of dead-fox on a rope. There are no foxes in Africa but the British upper-classes from enjoy the traditional fox hunt thus an obviously poverty-ravaged teenager is used to run from the dogs instead. In anther sequence, a white soldier, while capturing a black African implores him to: "Get movin Sammy Davis!" The film includes many reenactments and jump cuts to create a feeling of realism. Europeans are usually seen in soft focus while they mourn their farms and homes being sold while Black Africans are shot with fish eye lens and from what could called unflattering angles.
    Also included is realistic footage of the Zanzibar revolution- which included the massacre of approximately 5000 Arabs in 1964, as well authentic footage of the 'Mau-Mau Rebellion's aftermath.
    (From Wikipedia)

4. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Thanks BlackAfrican for sharing!

Do you think the movie has no validity:?: Is that the suggestion about "Mondo" films..that they are somehow 'inaccurate'? It is hard to believe that the whites stood passively by while their belongs were sold off.

This, like the film "GoodBye Uncle Tom" , offer what I believe to be accurate re-enactments of HISTORY.
    Also, it seems to me that ALL movies, documentaries or not, provide sensationalized accounts of events past, present and future.

M.E.

I think it does has it does help to re-create or re-enact events that DID in fact take place.

5. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Hotep SiS Blaklioness...

It was difficult to watch at times and more often than not, I felt more sadness than anger. I also felt lots of joy watching scenes of white folks stuff being torn down, land restored to rightful owners and the like.

M.E.