Afrakan Martial Arts and Warrior Culture

Afrodaze1

Nov 1, 2006
Peace, Corvo... I apologize for the length of time it took to respond to you. It's been awhile since I've logged on. But, I would be honored and glad to correspond with you on the Afrakan warrior arts. By the way, there is an Elder Sistah who I've had the honor and pleasure to make contact with on Myspace. Check out these videos of her:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1494440107

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1497380105

Corvo said:
Hi Afrodaze, I have been training in Capoeira for 15 years, and other MA for the last 35 yrs. I have been reading about other African MA's for a while now. I'd love to have a corespondence if you like. I know a little about Ladjia and Mrengi, which have alot in commen with Capoeira.

Thanks for the sites listed, it's always interesting to see the different takes on fighting!

Obrigado, Corvo

MississippiRed

Aug 11, 2004
I've seen that lady before and have actually had somewhat of a conversation with her concerning her viewpoint on training and some of the things she does.

Honestly I don't have too high an opinion of her as far as Martial Arts go but do appreciate the things she does concerning the youth in her area.

Just to clarify as I left this kind of vague. My issues with her Martial skill and instruction center around training with completely compliant partners, using more theory than application in instruction and practice, no pressure testing, i.e. hard continuous sparring and competition.

My main issue is also that some of the things she teaches could get someone hurt or killed, it looks good on video and in class but she doesn't train with any aliveness . On one of the knife defenses she has on there where the guy stabs, she sidesteps while dude leaves his arm completely extended she then grabs his arm and does a takedown and rollover using only one hand holding his face. That could get somebody hurt, there are many reasons it wouldn't work one of which being the attacker is moving and fighting not with a single arm but 2 arms (one of which has a knife) and 2 legs.

Notice in all her videos when she attempts a hold of anykind the training partner does nothing he doesn't even attempt to bring his other hand in play and moves compliantely wherever she wants him to go. In real life it don't happen like that. I'm all for African Martial Arts but be honest about what you are doing. If you practice for somesort of spiritual journey or enlightenment or exercise and don't want to fight or compete or have a pretty good suspicion your stuff won't work then just admit it to your students upfront. Don't tell folks you're teaching them how to fight when you're not.Let them take an effective art that's being trained the right way.

MississippiRed

Tap or Snap your choice.

Afrodaze1

Nov 1, 2006
Peace Brotha...

Having not yet met her face to face, there is no real way for me to comment on her ability to actually defend herself in a real-life combat situation. I do know that when demonstrating defense scenarios, it's often useful to slow things down in such a way, that the minutiae of each movement is seen by the observer. This can help a student see exactly the focus of the techniques. As far as one-handed joint locks, I can say that I have used them myself in defense situation where the aggressor was fighting with both hands and feet. It often depends on the movements of the aggressor and timing and such. Sometimes, the more subtle techniques are most effective, and sometimes other more overt techniques necessary. I have studied some ninjutsu (Togakure Ryu) and there are alot of techniques that are subtle,using one hand to subdue an aggressively attacking person. And due to the nature of how the ninpo training is carried out, I can assure you that the techniques work and HURT (lol).
But it all comes down to preferences.

"Be formless... shapeless like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, and it can crash. Be water, my friend...":climb:

MississippiRed said:
I've seen that lady before and have actually had somewhat of a conversation with her concerning her viewpoint on training and some of the things she does.

Honestly I don't have too high an opinion of her as far as Martial Arts go but do appreciate the things she does concerning the youth in her area.

Just to clarify as I left this kind of vague. My issues with her Martial skill and instruction center around training with completely compliant partners, using more theory than application in instruction and practice, no pressure testing, i.e. hard continuous sparring and competition.

My main issue is also that some of the things she teaches could get someone hurt or killed, it looks good on video and in class but she doesn't train with any aliveness . On one of the knife defenses she has on there where the guy stabs, she sidesteps while dude leaves his arm completely extended she then grabs his arm and does a takedown and rollover using only one hand holding his face. That could get somebody hurt, there are many reasons it wouldn't work one of which being the attacker is moving and fighting not with a single arm but 2 arms (one of which has a knife) and 2 legs.

Notice in all her videos when she attempts a hold of anykind the training partner does nothing he doesn't even attempt to bring his other hand in play and moves compliantely wherever she wants him to go. In real life it don't happen like that. I'm all for African Martial Arts but be honest about what you are doing. If you practice for somesort of spiritual journey or enlightenment or exercise and don't want to fight or compete or have a pretty good suspicion your stuff won't work then just admit it to your students upfront. Don't tell folks you're teaching them how to fight when you're not.Let them take an effective art that's being trained the right way.

MississippiRed

Tap or Snap your choice.

Corvo

navigator of live
May 9, 2003
LaLa land
Occupation
Furniture maker, a sculptor, and fight instructor
Afrodaze1 said:
Peace, Corvo... I apologize for the length of time it took to respond to you. It's been awhile since I've logged on. But, I would be honored and glad to correspond with you on the Afrakan warrior arts. By the way, there is an Elder Sistah who I've had the honor and pleasure to make contact with on Myspace. Check out these videos of her:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1494440107

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1497380105

Afrodaze those are cool videos to see. It is very commendable to see one of our sisters make this venture. I too, can't determin if she can apply these techniques in real life. but most seem sound ones. Its always a matter of an individual having the awareness and timing.

Capoeira and most African Martial arts that I've seen, don't rely on such fine motor skills. But allot of our counters are geared to counter blade weapons.

I just got back from Kauai, was visiting some of my brothers there. I was introduced to some new attacks and counters, very interesting.

One of my mentors has a website you will probably be interrested in. Ed. L. Powe, is the leading resercher of Black Martial Arts.

http://www.blacfoundation.org/blacjournals.html

Hope you like what's being shared!

Corvo

Afrodaze1

Nov 1, 2006
Thank you, Corvo. The pics and info are very enjoyable and enlightening. It's refreshing to see Afrakan combatives thriving. Here is another site I've found recently. Tell me what you think.

http://www.de-bordesfoundation.com/africanfighting.htm

Corvo said:
Afrodaze those are cool videos to see. It is very commendable to see one of our sisters make this venture. I too, can't determin if she can apply these techniques in real life. but most seem sound ones. Its always a matter of an individual having the awareness and timing.

Capoeira and most African Martial arts that I've seen, don't rely on such fine motor skills. But allot of our counters are geared to counter blade weapons.

I just got back from Kauai, was visiting some of my brothers there. I was introduced to some new attacks and counters, very interesting.

One of my mentors has a website you will probably be interrested in. Ed. L. Powe, is the leading resercher of Black Martial Arts.

http://www.blacfoundation.org/blacjournals.html

Hope you like what's being shared!

Corvo

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Keita Kenyatta Black People : IT'S A GREAT DAY FOR AFRAKAN PEOPLES!!! Black People Open Forum 3
Keita Kenyatta Black People : The Sun Revolves Around All Afrakan People !! Part 2. Black People Open Forum 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : The Sun Revolves Around All Afrakan People !! Part 1. Black People Open Forum 13
Keita Kenyatta Black Ancestors : Ancestor Gil Nobels...The Greatest Afrakan Documentarist in America Honoring Black Ancestors 3
Keita Kenyatta Black People : Afrakan Movie/ Obsession Black People Open Forum 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : The Division Of Afrakan Peoples Black People Open Forum 0
Keita Kenyatta Black People : MICROSOFT LOVES KILLING AFRAKAN PEOPLE ! Black People Open Forum 2
A Destee Network : Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited Destee Network : 0
A Black People : Afrakan Men And Thier Daughters Black People Open Forum 8
A Black Haiku : Afrakan woman and Haiku Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
G Law Forum : Coronavirus Black Lives Matter Protest President Trump Upcoming Election & Martial Law Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Fine1952 Black People : Martial Law Black People Open Forum 8
Fine1952 Black People : Martial Law on the Horizon? U.N. Military Trucks Arrive in Virginia Black People Open Forum 0
Yeremiyah Ben Ysrayl Black People : Concentration camps/Martial Law. Black People Open Forum 0
shaka64 Black People : AdTech Ad Obama Signs Executive Order Permanently Implementing Martial Law Black People Open Forum 1
F Black People : Martial Sciences Black People Open Forum 11
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Education / Schools : Martial Arts, Sports and Healing Arts as spiritual guiding tool Black Education / Schools 34
PurpleMoons Audio Video Web Conferencing : destee.tv : PARIS - Martial Law (Music Video) Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
Writspirit Podcasts / MP3s / Audio : Court Martial at Fort Devens Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
info-moetry Audio Video Web Conferencing : Master Sharpe - Martial Arts Audio Video Web Conferencing 0
M Black Entertainment : BRUCE LEE THE LEGEND & MARTIAL ARTS FILMS Black Entertainment 16
M Black Spirituality Religion : MARTIAL ARTS AND SPIRITUALITY Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 6
J Black People : Establishing martial law: Executive Order 12919 Black People Open Forum 18
D Black People : Best Black Martial Artist Black People Open Forum 1
G Black People : "Martial Law" will be your worst NIGHTMARE / You will either go out like a "LAMB" or Black People Open Forum 6
A Black Spirituality Religion : RELIGION IS LIKE MARTIAL ARTS Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 1
Corvo Jails / Prisons : Central Prison-Black Martial Art Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
M All Black/African Martial Artists Black Health and Wellness 17
jamesfrmphilly Africa : are there any African martial arts systems? All Things Africa 18
P Is anyone into Martial Arts? Black Health and Wellness 11
K Destee Network : African Martial Arts Destee Network : 0
crwn Science and Technology : How Particle Physics Killed The Moon Landing... Schism Arts Science and Technology 1
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Short Stories : Nu Queen of Culinary Arts Short Stories - Authors - Writing 0
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Education / Schools : School of Literary Arts Black Education / Schools 2
BLAQ LOVE POURAHTREE Black Education / Schools : School of Arts and Botany Black Education / Schools 2
dunwiddat Black People : What about plans for a Hobbies/ Arts and Craft Forum Black People Open Forum 0
B Black Events : Harlem Fine Arts Show at Martha's Vineyard Black Events 2
S Egypt : ARISTOTLE: "..mathmatical arts were founded in Egypt" Egypt 3
S Destee Network : Drumtide Magazine: An Afro cultural, Sociopolitical and Arts Magazine Destee Network : 0
S Black Men : Afrikan Maritial Arts technique of the week. Black Men 27
cherryblossom Black Positive People : Black Academy of Arts and Letters Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Keita Kenyatta Black People : BLACK ARTS AND SCIENCES Black People Open Forum 0
DARKSIDE MAGICK Black Spirituality Religion : HIGH OCCULT AND DARK ARTS Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 389
R Black Poetry : Use every strategy like a military academy want a master of arts Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 3
G Black People : Winnie Mandela denied entry to Canada for arts gala Black People Open Forum 0
D Black Women : Sisters with Bachelor of Arts abused MORE than women without ONE Black Women 18
Akilah Black Events : National Black Arts Festival Black Events 0
K Black People : Members with talents in Visual Arts Black People Open Forum 2
M Black Poetry : Don’t throw blind darts at fine arts and wine could spark Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7