Destee's Thoughts Advertisements on Destee

dustyelbow said:
Destee I want to ask, how is the Google AD business is coming along...

If you dont mind me asking...

Brother DustyElbow ... you asked this question here, but i've copied it to this thread, to respond.

No, i don't mind you asking. It's not been the best of experiences, though i didn't really know what to expect going in.

The first thing i noticed, after adding google ads to the site, were the white folk in the banners! :eeek: I was so outdone! Coming to destee and seeing white folk at the top of our pages, that was just too much. The very first ad they displayed here, had a little white baby in it. I immediately went over to google, to find out how to block an individual ad. Okay, that one is gone. Now there is another, and another, and another! They never stopped coming! Even though the content of our site surrounds Black People, the banner ads rarely had Black People in them. So i spent lots of time going back and forth, to block new ads. We had LOTS of sites blocked from displaying ads here, for this reason. Google told me that we are greatly limiting our income potential by blocking so many ads, and suggested we remove the blocks.

At one point in this process, i grew a bit frustrated that we even had to have ads, because the Family wouldn't collectively help, so i was like ... fine, i'm gonna just let the white people ads stay. Shoot, if the Family doesn't care, then i'm not gonna care either. But Brother GrandHustle and my Daughter told me that i can't do that. I can't not care. I have to remove the white people ads from destee. They said it's one thing to have ads, yet it's another to let the white people ads stay. So, as grumpily as i could ... lol ... i continued removing the white people ads, but it really became a chore.

In addition to this, google has their own rules, tos, etc., which say that i can't encourage the Members to click on ads. Well, i really didn't like this at all, as we make advertising available to others, and i want to be able to encourage the Family to click on the ads of those who have spent money to advertise! So, they effectively had me behaving in a way that i would not, if they were not on this site. I really wasn't feeling this, but i continued complying with their rules, hoping we'd make some money for the site.

We didn't make any significant amount of money for the site from them. While we get lots of activity, i had blocked the vast majority of their ads (because of the white people in them). I had blocked so many of their ads, that they were displaying "public service ads" the stuff they display when there's nothing left to show! Given the fact that i didn't like being told what to do, on our own site, and we're not making any real money, i quit displaying their ads here.

As you can see, there are no google ads being displayed, and haven't been for some time, because of the above.

After crossing this advertising bridge, i've learned so much, with lots more to learn i'm sure. It seems that advertising isn't really targeted to Black People. What we see on television, long stringy white hair, is the same on the Internet. It's as though the advertisers, advertise to white people, and just figure Black Folk will come along with them. That there is no need to market directly to us, as it's not really being done, at least not in any significant way. It's as though we, Black People, are an afterthought, though we spend billions yearly.

I guess they know we're nothing but consumers for the most part, and are going to buy whatever the white people buy ... so marketing to the white people ... will automatically get the Black People too.

Because i am still learning, this is not my area of expertise, it's been challenging to get the small Black Business Owners to advertise with us. Our advertising rates are the absolute lowest i've seen on the Internet, to a targeted market, yet we have few buyers. In spite of this, i've not worried too much about it, because it is so new, and we can't really miss what we've never had.

I just saw this article by Black Enterprise, Reaching the Black Market, that basically mirrors the experience i've had thus far:

Reaching the Black Market

New study to offer advertisers insight on connecting with the black community

November 7, 2007--With the buying power of African Americans projected to reach $1.1 trillion by 2011, Starcom MediaVest Group (SMG) and Dr. Nat Irvin II, University of Louisville professor and founder of Future Focus 2020, have conducted a study aimed at providing advertisers with a strategic approach to reaching black consumers.

Currently, less than 1% of U.S. advertising dollars are spent utilizing targeted black media to connect with the African American population. Instead, advertisers rely on the inclusion of black images in the general market, a move which Miriam Muley, founder and CEO of marketing firm The 85% Niche, claims is negatively impacting African American spending.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

I suppose it will all work out in the end ... and please ... click on any and all ads you see!

Thanks for asking.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back