Destee's Thoughts Advertisements on Destee

Discussion in 'Destee's Thoughts' started by Destee, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Peace and Blessings Family,

You all may have noticed, there are advertisements on destee. This is brand new, as we've never had ads here before. It may appear to be a hasty decision, but years of thought, discussion, and lamenting has gone into this. Here's one of those discussions for your review ... Advertisements on Destee?.

The ads are located in two places right now, the top of the page, and at the end of every page, of a thread. Some of the current ads may not be particularly appropriate for our community, and i'm trying to keep that minimized. We'll also be making advertising available to web site owners, entrepreneurs, authors, artists, etc., providing more information soon. This is a new area for us, and i welcome all suggestions and insight.

This major change was necessary because we are at the point of either dying, locking Members out, or making the community self-sufficient. We are ten years old, and should be able to support ourselves, so i'm gonna try to make that happen ... in a manner that i've never tried before.

I know some of you don't want to have to deal with advertisements here, and you don't have to. You can Become a Premium Member, and you won't see any ads. You will have access to our same peaceful, quiet, untainted, and relaxing community that we've come to know and love, with no advertisements flashing in your face. That's right, Premium Members don't see any of the ads, when logged in. If you are a Premium Member, and you do see an ad, please let us know. This is new, and there's likely to be some technical difficulties as we proceed.

I plan on having this as my topic for Sunday's Class @ 8 pm ET. So if you have questions and/or concerns, you can post them here, and join us there as well. I'll be more than willing to share all that i can.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    if anything

i applaud you on this

if you can make money

and keep us together

it's a win win

and i bow to you

and thank you for just being who you are

bringing this virtual world to the people

and i THANK YOU

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
  4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brothers DSS and OldSoul ... thank you both so much for your continued and unwavering support! :grouphug:

Destee

5. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    Supported/"Approved"/Congrats!

while not all that thrilled about advertising in general (anybody ever notice that the french translations of "caution/warning" stickers says "advertisement"?), i applaud your making this (as has been expressed) difficult, almost "heart-rending" decision to go with ads. i hope you do manage to derive some small bit of "extra" revenue from them! (i do wish i could make your class, but have not quite figured out a schedule that would allow me access at that time ... without doing that dreaded money thing <shudder>.)

Here is Loving You!
    me

6. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sister Destee, Do what you need to do to keep it going. I haven't been able to contribute in a good long minute and I feel really bad about it, but as soon as I can... Slowly

7. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    as long as u keep it black...
    i'm wit dat...

one love
    khasm

8. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +243
    I agree with your decision.

This is how it's done on at least one internet radio network -- pay a small monthly subscription fee and you can listen to music and other programs ad-free.

Will there be info on advertising rates posted anytime soon?

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thank you all so much for your love and support. This has been a very heart-wrenching topic for me over the years, but i feel good about the decision now. It's amazing. It's as though there is a time for every thing, and this is its time.

Brother anAfrican ... it's good to read you, and thanks for your love. I hope all is going well, and you'll be able to join in the classes again soon. We'll be recording, so if you want a copy of it later, just let me know!

Brother Slowly ... i understand things not being in a position to help right now, but you are surely one of those who will and have helped, so i aint worried. Thanks for your thumbs up regarding this change.

Brother Khasm ... don't worry, you know that is important to me, that we remain Black. Unfortunately, we don't have total and complete control over the ad inventory (at this point), but i'll be doing all i can to maintain our integrity.

Brother Sami_RaMaati ... this is all so new to me, advertising, monetizing a web site, and i'm learning so much! This fact alone, is making the experience exciting. Since we've never sold advertising, i'm trying to learn what goes into determining rates, and how best to implement it. I'm open to all suggestions and advice, as this can be a learning process for all of us. As a matter of fact, as i've begun this journey, the thought to create articles highlighting the things i've already learned, is heavy on my mind. There is so much to know, and our walking through it, can be a help to other site owners considering the same! All of that to say ... :) ... at this point, i don't know what our rates will be, other than affordable. I'm working on it now though, and it shouldn't be too long before i get them posted.

Again, i invite any and all to share your tips with me, and i'll be doing the same!

Thanks everyone for your love, support, and patience.

Destee

10. dustyelbow

dustyelbow Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21
    Are the advertisements associated with Google.

I saw one with GOOGLE on IT.

If so anything and everything will be whether a premium or not will be SEARCHED with a fine comb on this SITE and CACHED.

It's a bold move.