Destee's Thoughts Advertisements on Destee ?

Advertisements on Destee ?

• Total voters

river

Watch Her Flow
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
I voted though I must say a more accurate choice would have been "It depends on the type of ad." Since an affilliate program could qualify as advertisement I had to vote I am for it. Certain things I would NOT like to see:

Pop up or under ads
Ten banners at the top of every page requiring me to scroll down before I get to Destee.com proper
Anything that forces me to look at it whether I want to or not

I see no reason to object to a simple "Visit our sponsors" link.

Let's say brotha Sek or somebody has a book they want us to check out. He can simply create a link to the page that has the button to amazon. Since they went there looking for the book anyway they are likely to buy it and when they do Destee.com gets paid! :D

Nita

Feb 9, 2001
Arkansas
Occupation
youth volunteer
I say do what you have to do Queen. I know you're strugglin tryin to keep this place alive and the support just isn't comin in like it should. If we need Advertisements to pay the bills then so be it. I'm jus glad you aint out there in the cyber alley tryin to sell your cyber goodies shoot..lol And if we have to, we can sell Sister NNQueen's old wigs she left layin around here. She don't care nothing about them or she woulda dun got um by now. So do your thang Sister. These bills gotta get paid. I jus don't wanna see no kinky stuff like Penis enlargement pills. Besides, they don't work anyway...lQQkin ..so I heard..lQQkin again..lol :heart:

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
BrownSkinBrotha said:
Ive been doing a bit of researching with the hopes of getting a idea on the overall costs of operating this site, here is what I came up with:

To host a site like this on a dedicated server (http://www.valueweb.com/dedicated/dedicated-hosting.htm) costs about 70 dollars per month, or around 800.00 annually.

This forum software Vbulletin Boards (as per http://www.vbulletin.com) has a one time license fee of 160.00

The video/voice chat room Flash Chat(as per http://www.tufat.com) has a one time license fee of 10.00

Based on the above information, the bulk of the site costs are possibly in the hosting/server solution and any costs associated with what Sister Destee charges for operating this site, (please don't be offended Queen) but if this isn't the truth, do correct any errors or incorrect data I may have presented.

If all the members I have seen with premium member attached to their name is any indication of the contributors here, this communities health is being mis-diagnosed and may just required some belt tightening or trimming of the costs associated with hosting.

Often times we confuse what we want verses what we need, although I am not privee to the actually costs of the site, these costs are no doubt included and does not represent any hidden costs associated with this site, it is my hope that this will help to shed some light on the gloom and doom and deliver a solution that will make this place a permanent on line institution, as opposed to wondering if it will be here tomorrow.

The solution is in the problem and before everyone jumps all over me lol, please take a moment to read with some understanding these costs as they pertain to maintaining this community's presence without outside interference or advertisements of any type, in reflection I should have voted I'm against advertisements cause its clear, now I am.

Family ... this Brother useta be my friend. For the past few years, he has publicly and privately disparaged me, maligned me, lied on me, tried to destroy me, stalked me, has acted completely obsessed with me (and this community). Not only me, but those who have stood with me as well. He has built an online shrine of me, and i'm sure he'll be adding these words to it, which is why he asked if i had changed anything in my previous post. He will have all versions available. He follows me around on the Internet. It seems like something is mentally wrong with him. Even though he has his own community, he is preoccupied with this one. He unceasingly tries to count our money, what we have, what we're spending, what we're doing, our Members, how many are away, our posts, threads, hits, heartbeats, everything! It's krazee. I have not spoke to this Brother in years, yet he is back over here, doing this same stuff, as though he is trapped in time. Like a pit bull or something, demon possessed, refusing to let go. I do not engage or entertain him. That is what he wants, and my not obliging, seems to be making him krazier. He advocates violence, which doesn't make me feel any more comfortable. I caution everyone to be careful of him. By the time you finish reading this post, he will be banned, again. He probably has 99 names registered here, but he knows as soon as i recognize it as him, he is outta here. I'm talking real live stalker yall. He's my first. To the person that "invited" him here, please leave with him.

If i am wrong, consider this banning collateral damage.

Family ... my Momma told me, that if you have one person, that you can go to, and say you need $100.00 and they give it to you, without asking a buncha questions, you've got a friend. She said you're blessed if you have just one person like this in your life. Yall know what, i have many! Many of you have treated me with such kindness, trusting me. You have given because you trusted my request, when i said there was a need. I am honored. If a Sister or Brother says they're hungry, you should not have to ask to look into their refridgerator, before deciding to help. If a Sister says she is a Sister, she should not have to pull off her panties, and show you her nakedness, to prove it. There is a such thing as dignity. I am so very honored that you all, those of you who have trusted and been willing to help, did so while allowing me to maintain my dignity.

Thank you Family.

:heart:

Destee

sonnee01

May 25, 2005
Destee you are not alone...

You have been heavy on my heart, so I want to take this time to tell you that you are not alone. I would just like to encourage you to continue to hang in there and be the fighter you are.

That BrownSkinBrotha is just heaping coals on his own head. Instead of this brother keeping it moving he wants to bring unnecessary drama and he don’t even realize that he is making it bad for himself. This brother is just another test, and we all know that life is filled with one test after another, so continue to pass your test with “Flying Colors”

So having said all that, just know that you are not alone, and that you have a sister right here who truly supports your vision and I will do what I can to help bring your vision to pass.

Much Love

$$RICH$$

Lyon King Admin.
STAFF
Mar 21, 2001
Da~WINDY*CITY //CHICAGO
Occupation
BUSINESS owner
One thing for sure Advertisement is not the answer
when they don't get hits then what they remove them and still
we are at stage one and no Funds ...If we can't support our own
who in the world can we support anything else (advertising) here.

Bottom line is we need to drop this and make a heartful change
support it or leave it , with all the talent here and wisdom here we
can come up with our own ideas and ways to give without hitting
the pocket c'mon family i know we are gifted in something why not use
it to support what you love and where you come daily is it hard or do you
really care , how much are you willingly to give while not one of us want
to see us go under but advertising not the way clearly rethink it for a while.

anAfrican

Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
Possible "advertising" model?

rather than ads all over the place, how about creating a "Destee.Com Marketplace" - a seperate page, or set of pages - ok, an "e-commerce" addition.

on forum pages, there is a link to the marketplace. this could be a banner. in this banner, it's most often just a pointer to the market. sometimes, an advertiser will appear in the banner. whether that banner gets clicked or not, the advertiser pays 5, 10 25, 50 (how much are they paying for 30 seconds of air time?) per minute per viewer of that page. if the marketplace banner is clicked while it is showing an advertiser, that advertiser pays another fee and gets a hit to their "popularity poll" ... which will cost them another fee, of course.

once the marketplace is opened, by anyone, ALL advertisers begin paying 1, 5 or 10 per minute, per viewer, as long as the market is "open". this page could be presented as a browser for generic services and products. any advertisers that appear on this page are paying 5 or 10 dollars per minute, per viewer. this is essentially, a search page. search results could make use of the previously mentioned "popularity poll" to place an advertiser higher in the listing of search results. and, of course, there is a fee paid by the advertiser for this prominent viewpoint. if a viewer decides to click on an advertisers link, then, and only then, will the viewer leave this site headed for the advertiser's website ... for which a healthy small fee will be extracted. and if they buy anything from that advertiser, we collect again.

oh, and way down in a corner on the marketplace page, is a link to "misc" - this is the link to all of the white advertisers that happen to be accessible from destee. of course, all of the previous pay points apply to them as well.

now, maybe the figures above are a bit high - maybe it should only be a few quarters, or dimes, per view per visitor. but if they want to do advertising, they are gonna pay for it! ain't that the whole idea of doing this? ain't no sense in talking about "don't set the fees so high that they won't show up!" wrong!! "all the market will bear!"

but i'm completely against the idea of advertising on the site. yes, i do understand that we need something, and that some of our brothers and sisters are, for whatever reason, reluctant to show support for Ms. Destee's Mighty Fine Efforts by chipping in a measely ten bucks a month ... also, i am aware that this Family WILL CONTINUE, in some kind of fashion even if, heaven forbid, it does all fall apart. the Spirit of Destee will live on. even if that means someone puts together a private mailing list just for premium members so that we can still connect even if the site drops off for maintenance, server crash, server site "melt down" or loss of service from the provider.

The Family Is Worth The Effort!!

anAfrican

Feb 1, 2005
StreetNationEarth: Seattle
Occupation
The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
on the other hand

ok, so, yeah; our very own Family seems to be somewhat reluctant to toss in the 10 bucks a month that keeps us online. yeah, and, sure; those of us that do support the site, and all the change that destee can spare (and, sometimes, then some) are carrying the load of keeping this site available so that Africans can have a place where we can Be OurSelves, where we can Give Strength, where we can Gain Strength, where we do all sorts of Learning and Teaching and Funning. even though we have to step over and around all these Members of the African Family that, for whatever reason, don't feel compelled to support our Family, i'd still like to suggest that we turn to the African Family for support.

i wonder what would happen if "we" turned to the governments of the African nations around the globe? (never mind, you haters; don't come with the bits about how corrupt, or revolutionary or or or - stop beating us down with all the negative stuff you can find about our Family; everybody else is doing a bang up job of that - white folks do not need your help holding us back!)

reach out to all the African nations in search of, predominately, cultural exchange, seeking to expand, and embrace, the Global African Family. (ain't that what destee.com is about? building the African Family?) in the process, sure; why not offer advertising space for their industries? how about educational, cultural, cooking, dancing, music, poetry, skill building exchanges with Africans all over the globe? get to know the reality behind what we keep getting in the media.

just think what could happen if one African Nation decided to make a monthly donation? and/or if some educational or cultural attache decided it might be worthwhile to engage in some sort of mutually beneficial connection? heck, somebody might even want to toss up a whole new "bigger faster better" server ... or server _farm!_ for destee to run on.

reaching out to all of Africa might very well net us two, three, one, 400 new avenues of some sort of support; there might be some financial support - there is sure to be some cultural support!! and, hey!, we could grow a real taste of what African Earth really is!!

"how does a dream come true, if there aren't any dreams?"

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
sonnee01 said:
You have been heavy on my heart, so I want to take this time to tell you that you are not alone. I would just like to encourage you to continue to hang in there and be the fighter you are.

That BrownSkinBrotha is just heaping coals on his own head. Instead of this brother keeping it moving he wants to bring unnecessary drama and he don’t even realize that he is making it bad for himself. This brother is just another test, and we all know that life is filled with one test after another, so continue to pass your test with “Flying Colors”

So having said all that, just know that you are not alone, and that you have a sister right here who truly supports your vision and I will do what I can to help bring your vision to pass.

Much Love
Sister Sonnee ... I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU ... :love: ... our #1 :dj: ... :love:

I do love and appreciate you so much. Whew. Tests. I never did like 'em, but i do thank God and our Ancestors for bringing us through each and every one! We are so blessed here Sister, having each other! Whew! You talk of helping to bring my vision to pass, but Sister, let me tell you ... my vision was manifested long ago. This community has grown way beyond that, with the added vision, love, and Spirit of each of you. This is now our vision ... :love:

Thank you so much for ALLLLLL the love you give Sister Sonnee ... you're da bestestestest! :love:

Destee

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Nita said:
I'm jus glad you aint out there in the cyber alley tryin to sell your cyber goodies shoot..lol
i tried this, but didn't nobodee wanna b... wait ... is this in PM ... QQ

lol :lol:

Quit talk'n ta me Nita Mae! dadgummit!

oh gosh ... you so krazee! :lol:

Nita said:
And if we have to, we can sell Sister NNQueen's old wigs she left layin around here.
you betta be glad Queenie aint here ... but i will be copy'n and paste'n ... QQ

Destee

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
$$RICH$$ said:
One thing for sure Advertisement is not the answer
when they don't get hits then what they remove them and still
we are at stage one and no Funds ...If we can't support our own
who in the world can we support anything else (advertising) here.

Bottom line is we need to drop this and make a heartful change
support it or leave it , with all the talent here and wisdom here we
can come up with our own ideas and ways to give without hitting
the pocket c'mon family i know we are gifted in something why not use
it to support what you love and where you come daily is it hard or do you
really care , how much are you willingly to give while not one of us want
to see us go under but advertising not the way clearly rethink it for a while.
Brother $$RICH$$ ... we won't be making any major changes soon, if ever, as it relates to advertising. Nothing has been decided. This thread is really to let the Family know what we're facing, what we're considering, and how they feel about it. It's wonderful that everyone is sharing their votes and thoughts. I consider this discussion a great success, thanks for contributing to it! :love:

I'm still with you though, it's something wrong that we must depend on others, to sustain our home.

It sorta kinda speaks volumes.

Destee

Consciousness Raising Online!

Allow the N Word - yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 42.9%

Latest profile posts

Feeling good today fam...just been reading a couple of books. I think Dennis Kimbro's "Daily Motivations for African American Success" is one of the best motivational books on the market. This book has motivation for each day of the year on each page and all of these relate to your own Blackness. No matter what you're experiencing there's something in that book you could draw from. ✊
Life is a poem, love is the pen.
Charles Thompson wrote on Enki's profile.
Good evening
Destee wrote on Angela22's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :dance4: ... Welcome Home! So good to have your sweet Spirit in the house! ... YAAAAAAY USSSSS! ... :yaay: :yaay: :swings: ... :heart:
Angela22 wrote on Enki's profile.
I hope all is well with you. Much love.:love: