Destee's Thoughts Advertisements on Destee ?

Discussion in 'Destee's Thoughts' started by Destee, Oct 19, 2005.

?

Advertisements on Destee ?

1. i'm for it

41.7%
  2. i'm against it

36.7%
  3. i don't care

21.7%
  1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hello Family,

We've been here since 1997, and have never had advertisements, other than the promotions of Family Member's endeavors.

I have resisted doing this, resisted soliciting for advertisers or setting them up here, because i've wanted our community to remain pure and innocent, free from the clutter of banners and such, and maintaining complete control over every aspect of our community. When dealing with advertisers, you don't always get to choose what is presented on your site. This will make us beholden to these advertisers, to some small degree, where we owe them nothing right now.

It has always been my hope that we never have to deal with this.

I have the nerve, as broke as we are, as much of a struggle it is to maintain this community ... i have the nerve to want the financial support to come from a specific area ... the Sisters and Brothers that frequent here.

I feel that we need to support our own, and this community is a perfect opportunity for us to begin doing that. Members aren't forced to do it, but can move toward it in their own time, being led by their heart and Spirit to give. I love this concept, but it's slow to manifest itself in a manner that can fully financially support the community. In spite of this, i'm very reluctant to give up on it, and cross that bridge to selling advertisements on this site. I feel like once we go there, we're there, and there's no coming back to this place, this peace, that we currently have ... free from advertisements or obligation to others. We'll never be the virgins that we are right now, if we do this.

Our community has grown to the point that it is in a position to yield some income from advertisements.

My question to you all ... because i'm so torn ... is how do you feel about this?

Would it bother you to see advertisements from corporate america, or anyone outside this Family, on this site?

I'm considering these things Family, but am not comfortable with just going there, so i'm asking for your advice, suggestions, and support.

A special thanks to all the Premium Members that have helped to keep this community alive, without outsiders supporting us. It is a beautiful thing, even with the struggle of not having many Members doing this. The few of you have been so much encouragement to me, evidence that we can and do support our own. Thank you!

If you're interested in becoming a Premium Member, to help support our own stuff ... please click here.

Okay Fam ... let me know what you think. Your vote above, and comments below, will help me make a decision.

Thanks.

:heart:

Destee

VOTE IN THE POLL ABOVE

~ and ~

LEAVE COMMENTS BELOW

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    go for it.
    we gotta eat.

BTW - will you be taking ads from strip clubs?
    i need to find a new one.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Thanks Brother James for responding.

See ... if we go here ... we gotta consider stuff like that ... strip club ads! :eeek:

Where right now, we don't have to consider it at all ... but we struggle monthly, just to meet the out of pocket expenses, not even touching on the time, expertise, and future growth (needs) of our community.

Please Family ... share your thoughts.

:heart:

Destee

4. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    You can start off by charging for advertising that promotes black-only things. Make a monthly charge for banner advertising. There are a lot of webmasters that would appreciate the traffic and return vistors you get here. :)

You can also try promoting affliate programs that sell black-related items, such as books for example. Advertisements for books from black authors would not take away from the site... in fact it would enhance it because members would have quick and easy access to more knowledge. It would help them and you at the same time.

I do understand where you are coming from though in trying to not make the site a haven for advertisers. However, as long as it is appropriate and not littered all over the place, it should not be a hindrance to the purpose of the community.

5. GrandHustle

GrandHustle Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15
    Go for it. Try it for 3 months or 1 month. If it has a negative effect. Remove the ads. Using google adsense program will allow adding and removing tens of thousands of ads within minitues. (one ad display after first post of a thread) The text ads have the best click through rate. Remove the ad borders and change the color layout of the text ads to match the site layout. After one month take another poll to guage any possible adverse effect on the community. Keep top banner advertisement space available only to site members (advid site members minimum post number 100?)

Member cooperation in supporting the pay per click advertising can generate thousands in one day with wide spread participation.

Possibilities: 1000 Members click an ad per day
    (.20per click average X 1,000) = $200 per day revenue.

The google adsense ads are disbursed based on particular page content. So a thread with content about music may pay .10cent per click. Pages with content about online trading, Online banking, Credit repair, refinance mortages: $2 to $10 per click.

Try it then evaluate after the trial period.

6. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I think when it all boils down, you have to do what is necessary to keep the lights on. I agree with Karmashines and GrandHustle. You can pick and choose who advertises on the site. Target black businesses! In fact there is a new online bank, BankBlackwell, which might be interested in advertising with us.

7. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    Basically I Can Go Either Way....

I do have a problem with the annoying pop up ads. They tend to disrupt threads and the site. As long as its the banner kind, I wouldnt have a real problem with them

8. pdiane

pdiane Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +21
    You go for it girl! :great: It would be good if we had an Afrakan Market here Destee. So that folks could advertise their products or products of friends and family. Of course charging a fee for this is like charging for buying a table at a market setting.

Maybe even a section called the "Afrakan Market". As far as advertise corparate products. That is too you. Personally I would like to see how the Afrakan market worked out first in terms of you making the funds you need. By the way, to add to Pan's site. MATAH is another Black owned site.

9. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    i think the african market concept is a good idea.

10. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    Do what you gotta Do.