Black People : ADHD Awareness Month

Blackbird

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 31, 2004
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
October is ADHD Awareness Month.

Many of you may not know but I suffer from ADHD which is a neurobehavioral syndrome. It is a very annoying and aggravating problem caused by the way the brain uses and reabsorbs the neurotransmitters, norepinephrine and dopamine. It is definitely a real problem despite what many believe.

Many of us may know someone affected by ADHD so I wanted to make you aware of it - if only slightly.

Millions of children and adults suffer from Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). It is a term that has a household recall, but many people do not fully grasp what this learning disability really is. In an effort to educate everyone better about ADHD, October has been announced as ADHD Awareness Month.

ADHD can affect any race, age, gender, religious background, socio-economic background, and IQ. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated in 2011 that 9.5 percent of children in the United States have ADHD. Boys have the condition two to three times more often than girls.
Usually ADHD is coupled with anxiety disorder in 25-40 percent of adults and 30 percent in children. Depression is also diagnosed and treated in 70 percent of those who suffer from ADHD.

Research has shown that ADHD is hereditary and based in the brain. Many symptoms of ADHD are linked to certain brain areas. ADHD is not caused by poor parenting, immorality, family issues, insufficient teachers and school, too much TV, food allergies, and/or excessive sugar.

Sadly for those suffering from ADHD and don’t know they have it or have not treated it, ADHD might cause serious learning disabilities and may prevent someone from graduating in school.

The symptoms associated with inattention in ADHD are: having a hard time following instructions, not listening, being easily distracted and bored after a few minutes, missing details, forgetting or losing things, constant daydreaming, and becoming easily confused.

The symptoms associated with hyperactivity in ADHD are: fidgeting in seats, non-stop talking, playing or touching anything in sight, being in constant motion, acting inappropriately and being unable to do quiet activities or tasks.
http://guardianlv.com/2013/09/omega-3-fatty-acids-help-adhd-october-adhd-awareness-month/

ADHD in Adults

10 Adult ADHD Symptoms

Adult ADHD Problem No. 1: Difficulty Getting Organized

For people with ADHD, the increased responsibilities of adulthood -- bills, jobs, and children, to name a few -- can make problems with organization more obvious and more harmful than in childhood. While some ADHD symptoms are more annoying to other people than to the person with the condition, disorganization is often identified by adults struggling with ADHD as a major detractor that affects their quality of life.
Adult ADHD Problem No. 2: Reckless Driving and Traffic Accidents

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder makes it hard to keep your attention on a task, so spending time behind the wheel of a car can be difficult. ADHD symptoms can make some people more likely to speed, have traffic accidents, and lose their driver’s licenses.
Adult ADHD Problem No. 3: Marital Difficulties

Many people without ADHD have marital problems, of course, so a troubled marriage shouldn’t be seen as a red flag for adult ADHD. But there are some marriage problems that are particularly likely to affect the relationships of those with ADHD. Often, the partners of people with undiagnosed ADHD take poor listening skills and an inability to honor commitments as a sign that their partner doesn’t care. If you’re the person suffering from ADHD, you may not understand why you’re partner is upset, and you may feel you’re being nagged or blamed for something that’s not your fault.

http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/10-symptoms-adult-adhd

ADHD is a severe condition that comes along with several possible comorbid conditions that make the treatment of ADHD very complex.. Unfortunately, I personally suffer from more than a couple of these comorbid problems along with my ADHD. Some of those comorbid problems are:

1. Anxiety disorder
2. Major Depressive Disorder
3. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
4. Bipolar Disorder
5. Personality Disorders

Eventhough I am still a child of Elegua and love it every bit. My ADHD gives me a different perspective of the world and the people that inhabit it. But also being a child of Elegua does too.

So yes, I am mentally ill, but my mental illness is no different than someone with diabetes, hypertension, asthma, sickle cell anemia and the like. Most would not know I was mentally ill unless someone told them.

I have ADHD; I didn't really know October was the month of awareness for it. I guess I don't really look too far into it, though it does affect my life significantly.

Thanks for sharing. Not everyone with the condition feels comfortable doing so, since people judge so easily as you "being crazy" or "just not trying". There's a whole lot more to it, I've learned over the years.:D

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back